Author Topic: Fire extinguisher recall  (Read 1472 times)

Online Croaker Stroker

Re: Fire extinguisher recall
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »

They sent me the wrong one. I got a large garage/home extinguisher.   :shrug9:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Peddler

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:17 PM »
I keep finding them around my place. I’ve now had 8 replaced, and just found another yesterday. It took about a month to get the last ones (three at once).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »

Mine said it was unaffected, but they sent me one anyway.  :shrug9:

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
The PIA is sending the old ones back. Since it’s pressurized, and a hazardous material you cannot drop it off at Fed Ex with the label they provide you. I tried, and wasted a trip. The paper return instructions said this but I tried anyway  :doh: So I called Fed ex to schedule a pick up while was at work and after talking to a virtual person for 5 min I finally got through to an actual person. I stated I wanted to schedule a pick up for a return and they asked for the tracking numbers. I told him I was at work and did not have the numbers with me. He said he cannot schedule a pick up without them. So it’s such a hassle to send them back that I think I’ll just keep them
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »

When they contact me to ask why I didn’t send the old one back I will tell them they sent the wrong one.

Might be years from now.  :shrug9:

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »
The PIA is sending the old ones back. Since it’s pressurized, and a hazardous material you cannot drop it off at Fed Ex with the label they provide you. I tried, and wasted a trip. The paper return instructions said this but I tried anyway  :doh: So I called Fed ex to schedule a pick up while was at work and after talking to a virtual person for 5 min I finally got through to an actual person. I stated I wanted to schedule a pick up for a return and they asked for the tracking numbers. I told him I was at work and did not have the numbers with me. He said he cannot schedule a pick up without them. So it’s such a hassle to send them back that I think I’ll just keep them

FedUp and UPS phone service is bad.
If you have to call again, once you get the robot, just keep repeating, "representative". But after the 3rd time the system will try and trick you, but just repeat "representative"  again and you'll get connected, same with UPS.
But if you really want some fun, try dealing with DHL  :hoboy: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:48:46 PM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 05:39:11 AM »
    Returning these things sounds like it can be a bit of a hassle in some cases.  IMO, might not be worth the trouble.  Perhaps checking with your local fire department could shed some light on this.  I've had my extinguisher for quite a while now.  I'm thinking; why not just dump it and write-it-off as a small part of my boating expense? :shrug9: 

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Diablo

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
The first one I returned was easy the UPS agent knew what todo. The second time I returned one the agent didn’t have a clue what to do. I thanked him and called right back and got a different agent that knew what to do.
I would imagine the reason they want them back is to get the defective ones out of the system. Having a fire extinguisher that may not work is not good.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Returning the old one part of the 'deal' ---  If you don't and somebody uses it, you would be liable for any bad things that might happen.  Return is free and they can re-cycle the can.  I'd return it (and did --- 3 of them)

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Peddler

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
I attempted to drop off a return at a FedEx company store. They wouldn’t take it. I took it to a independent mailbox store, who accepts FedEx, and they took the no problem. Also, my usual driver said he’d take them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline troll4fish

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
I received the first one and had no issues sending it back, the second one was supposed to be "unaffected" but they sent me a new one anyway but that return was botched by fedex as they had the pickup listed for Layton, Utah? I live in a Denver suburb! They finally got it straight after 30 minutes on the phone rescheduling the pickup. Now I am good to go for a few years.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Offline blue heron

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
We had 4 replaced and I'd taken 3 to the local mail depot that accepts FedEx and they took them. For the last one, they said they can't take fire extinguishers (with the mark on the return box) and said to take it to a FedEx depot.  My son had a FedEx delivery a few days later to the house and the delivery person readily accepted the return package.
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
I had a similar experience.  I suspect it was some kind of local fire code when dealing with HazMat items (Yes a fire extinguisher is HazMat -- pressurized vessel)

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'