News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Connecting Rod from main motor to 9.9

Started by JamesB, January 23, 2018, 11:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesB

Does anyone know whether you can get a connecting rod with quick a connect/disconnect which will allow you to connect your main engine to the 9.9 trolling motor so that you can connect it from the backside of the engine(the side that faces you when you are in the boat which is the same side where the wiring and hydraulic steering resides)?   I have seen it connected to the other side using the EZ Steer system but I would like to have a system connected to the size that would be closest to me so that it would be easier for me to connect or disconnect the assembly.  I would imagine it may be challenging to connect and disconnect the EZ Steer rod if you are fighting a fish or if the wind/waves kick up.  Wouldn't want to lean over that far and get dumped into the water. 

I am familiar with fishing boats with an Extended Transom where both the main and trolling motor were connect on the same platform which could allow a direct connection via a tie bar from the side of the engine that faces you.  However, since Arimas have the trolling motor on a bracket that extends further out, I was hoping there was a system that would still allow you to tie the 2 up and also disconnect from the side that's closest to you.  I would imagine that system would have some sort of a bent shaped bar if it did exist.

Rokefin

JB, somewhere in the past history on this forum somebody posted a set-up like you are describing-it has been done.
I would do a search in tips and tricks, I think you should be able to find it.

Omega3

I made one.Panther makes a quick disconnect kit .The all thread is weak.I used half inch copper pipe for the bar.Takes a bit of trial and error but mine works good.PM for details.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

First Cabin

I've been doing it this way for years for the exact reasons you address.  This is homemade.

Yes, I have to put the bar on and remove it every time I raise or lower the kicker.
No, that isn't a pain.  It takes just a second and you are standing there with your fishing rod anyway.

I found the ez-steer to be more trouble as it needed to be adjusted constantly and couldn't safely be removed while on the water.  Most of the time my kicker isn't connected and I don't have an ez-steer interfering with my ability to steer.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

JamesB

when you state the easysteer has to be constantly adjusted do you mean it has to be adjusted every few outings or do you mean it has to be adjusted while you are out on the water?  I haven't used the easysteer and so I am not familiar with it's weaknesses.  Do the threads come loose and therefore it changes the distance between the 2 motors?  Is that why it needs to be adjusted?

For those of you who have made homemade setups to allow you to set it up on the side the cable and hydraulics reside, can you tell me if the steering is just as good as if it was connect from the other side where the EZSteer would be connected?  From common sense, it seems like there is a larger angle of travel when you connect it on the side where the EZsteer connects as compared to the hydraulic lines side since that's the side where the pivoting point is.

I am planning on steering kicker from helm when it's connect to the main by using hand steering via the wheel or automatically using the Lowrance outboard autopilot.

Would love to be able to use a connecting rod system(even if I have to make some adjustments or custom work) on the hydraulic side with the option of a quick connect/disconnect for when I land a fish and I am fishing alone.  I would like to be able to disconnect from main and be able to steer and control throttle from stern.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

First Cabin

You recognize the challenges. 

Since that picture, I changed from forward controls on the kicker to a tiller control with Trollmaster for helm speed control. Contrary to many, I prefer a tiller on my kicker.   I like to be able to manually control my kicker from the transom when needed and hook up and steer from the helm when I want.  To those with remote controls on the kicker, I ask "What are you going to do when you lose steering on the main?" 

With the EZ-steer, the distance between the motors often changes whenever you raise or lower the kicker.  Then you have to go back and adjust the setting to troll straight. Which is easy, but takes about the same amount of time as snapping in a steering rod. So the idea that you can set and forget an EZ-steer, is rarely true.  But my beef with the EZ-steer is just how hard it is to remove while on the water.  Hang your butt over the kicker in rough water a couple of times, and you'll question the safety of it.

Making your own connection rod is a bit challenging as you do have to find the best attachment point that gives you the widest turn angle.  The you have to make some kind of quick connect bracket to attach to the kicker and the main. And you have to remember to account for the different planes of movement.  Once you get it right, it works very well.  I've been using it for years now and wouldn't change.

Sounds like your needs are similar to mine.

Omega3

Most of the time while fishing I don't have my steering bar connected.I steer with the main and make slight adjustments with the kicker when needed.I use the bar when it's windy or the currents are strong and pushing me around.I fish alone alot and having the kicker connected to the main does not allow me to control the boat the way I want while fighting a fish.When a fish hits I hit the downrigger up,Disconnect one end of the steering bar with one hand then use the kicker to steer out of the crowd while getting the net ready.Using the steering wheel during this time would be almost impossible.I always have complete control of my boat and where it's headed.

La-Z-Buoy

I use the EZ Steer and have found it to be very acceptable. I do not ever disconnect the unit except for maintenance and to work around the motors when in the driveway. Initially I didn't have the arm adjusted correctly because I bought the unit used and didn't research how to correctly use it. Assumed I knew what I was doing  :facepalm: . Consequently it limited its usefulness. Now, with it adjusted properly, I'm really happy with it. The kicker is electric start, power tilt, and remote control, no tiller. Also, the kicker is mounted on a fixed bracket so no lifting/dropping of the kicker. I'm able to able to troll, pick up/tilt the kicker, run to where ever, drop the kicker, turn the wheel lock to lock to reset the EZ Steer and fish. Easy peasy. And no constant adjustment. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.........

If you fish alone I can see how my setup, without tiller, might hamper operation when fighting a fish but, so far, I have not been alone.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Omega3

I can't count how many times I have had to steer my boat out of the way of other boats where guys were busy doing everything but driving the boat.Two guys at the back of the boat,one with a pole one with a net and no one driving!

troll4fish

I second what La-z-bouy said with the addition that I have my kicker control in the cockpit BEHIND the captains chair so I can throttle down or up or go to neutral while fighting a fish as I a single handed most the time. I love the EZ steer! I have the Honda 8hp full remote power tilt 20' on the arima fixed bracket! would not trade it or the motor connection at all!
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

headduck

I like the ez steer...but no model for the new merc. Tried hard to make a tie bar...then went with panther remote...can take it fore or aft super easy...costly but reliable so far...should have got throttle control with it...next boat.

No fiddling around...no leaning over the well...just get in and go...
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

JamesB

anyone with experience using Lowrance's outboard autopilot or another autopilot system for the main but controlling the trolling motor via a connecting rod/tie bar?  How does it work?

First Cabin

Some have asked how I made the connections to the kicker and main.  Here are a couple pictures

I cut a piece of aluminum angle bar and punched a couple of hole in it so I could attach it to the kicker and then the SS pipe thread elbow.  Notice the nylon washer so the quick disconnect is free to swivel

I attached a similar aluminum angle bar to the main.

The quick connnects are push to connect and can be attached and detached with one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Cabin

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on January 24, 2018, 07:37:23 PM

drop the kicker, turn the wheel lock to lock to reset the EZ Steer and fish. Easy peasy. And no constant adjustment.

"Turn the wheel lock to lock to reset the EZ Steer"

Sounds eerily like constant adjustment to me.   :jester: 

Anyway, it's really about being able to disconnect the kicker from the main quickly and operate the kicker from the transom whenever needed/desired.

Tj805

I like first cabins setup.
I have easy steer and never use it .
Always wants to fall off and not stay together .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

blindmonkey

To use EZ Steer effectively it needs to be setup properly and have all the correct components.  I have been using mine for several years without issue.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

cohosalmon

My EZ steer works pretty flawless too and that for many years already. It remains always attached and rarely does it need adjustment. It does add a bit friction to the steering when running on the main and the kicker is lifted but I got used to it and doesn't bother me.

Threeweight

The EZ steer that came with my boat when I bought it (used) was too short, and the detente pins and springs were worn pretty badly... it would regularly "slip" and get out of sync with the main motor, and I'd have to run back and use the tiller to correct it. 

I scored a longer one from a fellow Arima owner that was in better shape... the proper sized one worked awesome.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

JamesB

I agree with FirstCabin, it is about the flexibility to be able to connect to main when you are wanting to steer from the helm or if you are using an autopilot and then having the ability to easily disconnect when you want to control kicker from stern when fighting a fish and you happen to be solo.

FirstCabin, not sure if you happen to know what or where you got the parts for your setup?  Looks like there may be interest in a few people who may want to set something up similar to what you have.

straiteagle

TJ805.  If the EZ steer is coming apart, you most likely are not using a restrictor cord that they introduced a couple of years ago, and/or your spring loaded détente tips are too worn down allowing the bars to slide too easily.  See this site for new components:  http://www.marinetechproducts.com/shop-for-parts#!/EZ-Steer/c/237141/offset=0&sort=normal

Before I began to use the restrictor cord, my bars would come apart if the kicker and main went in 2 different directions- like when you raise the kicker and it rolls to the outside vs. inside of the boat.  The restrictor prevents the kicker from turning in the opposite direction of the main.  I replace detente tips about every 3 years, the main wear on the tips comes from the components sliding in and out when the under main power and the kicker is out of the water.
2005 Sea Legend, 200HP Suzuki,15HP EFI Suzuki

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: straiteagle on January 26, 2018, 08:49:00 AM
TJ805.  If the EZ steer is coming apart, you most likely are not using a restrictor cord that they introduced a couple of years ago, and/or your spring loaded détente tips are too worn down allowing the bars to slide too easily.  See this site for new components:  http://www.marinetechproducts.com/shop-for-parts#!/EZ-Steer/c/237141/offset=0&sort=normal

Before I began to use the restrictor cord, my bars would come apart if the kicker and main went in 2 different directions- like when you raise the kicker and it rolls to the outside vs. inside of the boat.  The restrictor prevents the kicker from turning in the opposite direction of the main.  I replace detente tips about every 3 years, the main wear on the tips comes from the components sliding in and out when the under main power and the kicker is out of the water.

:yeahthat:

Same here. Again it falls back to learning about your equipment and not assuming you know what you're doing. Once I got the re-stricter cord, installed correctly, problem solved. It's amazing how being cheap (referring to me) sometimes can backfire on one.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

First Cabin

Guys, the original poster, JamesB, asked if there was a way to connect the main and the kicker FROM THE FRONT SO IT CAN BE EASILY REMOVED WHILE ON THE WATER.

I used EZ-Steer for years and had the restrictor cord.  It just doesn't work well for how I like to fish.  I want to be able to control the kicker from the rear while I bottom fish.  In tight quarters, or windy conditions, I can control the boat much better by operating the kicker from the rear.  If the steering on the main fails, I can steer the boat home with the kicker.

Geez...is it that hard to acknowledge that a product does have limitations and there are legitimate reasons that some don't like it? :stirthepot:

La-Z-Buoy

First Cabin,

Wow.

First, let me say that there was NEVER my intention to downplay/dismiss the way anyone did anything. It was simply to relate MY personal experience. I tried to make that clear from the get go. I'm sorry if you took offense.

In JamesB's original post he referred to the issue of having too/wanting to disconnect/reconnect the rod, be it ez steer or one in front. The way I've operated has not, as of yet, required me to do that and I wanted to relay that. Had JamesB not included the EZ Steer in his original discussion quite possibly I would not have said anything because the connecting at the front of the motors was not something I had ever done.

I believe that this forum is here to entertain, inform, share, and generally help all of us Arima owners. And to be open enough to admit to not being perfect and owning up to making mistakes in the search for new ideas and help our brother owners spend their money..............

I'm done........

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

First Cabin

I don't take offense, I find it interesting.  I thought this was entertaining!

Maybe I make myself sound too serious. :beerchug:

Anyone want to argue Scotty versus Cannon down riggers next?

JamesB

Perhaps it's fitting for me to post the last message on this topic since I started all of this....

First Cabin is correct... my original message was a callout to fellow members who may know of a means to setup a connecting rod with quick connect/disconnects on the backside(side with facing you when you are in the boat) of the main and kicker.  I am familiar with the EZSteer system but have not heard of anyone setting it up on the rear side and that's why I included a mention to the EZSteer to see if that was possible.  I called EZSteer today and they said that officially it's not made to work on the rear side.  You may be able to jimmy something together but they are not able to help provide info or guidance.

While some members may be perfectly fine using the EZSteer system and they may never need to disconnect and reconnect it while on the water, in which case the EZSTeer would be a good solution.  However, I find there are many instances where I like to have the flexibility to connect main to kicker and quickly disconnect and then reconnect while out on the water .   Here are situations that I would do this in:

1) If I am fishing solo and have no one to steer at the helm while I am at the stern fighting and landing a fish... I would like to be able to control the direction to help land the fish and to keep out of the way of other oncoming boats etc...

2) If I am trolling for salmon and the bites aren't on...I may decide to head over to a bottom fishing spot where and if that bottom fishing spot happens to have a decent current I would then need to disconnect the tie bar since it was just used to troll for fish and be able to disconnect so that I can maintain a precise course/direction over an area for bottom fish or to maintain my position while in a current.

3) Even if I am not fishing solo, there are many times where even though I may have a 2nd person in the boat, they may not be at the helm for these 2 reasons:  a) We are lucky enough to get a double header... b) I am fishing the fish and the buddy is at the stern with me trying to net it.   Both of these scenarios involve having no one at the helm.  I would like to be able to control the boat in those scenarios.

4) If we are fishing and wish to beach the boat or anchor it in hip high water(at a beach), I may wish to control the boat with the kicker in case there are large rocks or tree stumps(in lakes) which may damage the lower unit of the outboard and/or prop.  It's much cheaper and less painful to do so to a kicker than to the main. 

First Cabin has the perfect setup and I've PM'd him for more info on his setup.

I understand everyone was trying to help in one way or another... If my original post was ambiguous and caused this misunderstanding amongst members I will take responsibility and perhaps be more concise next time around.

Have a nice weekend all!