News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Radar 3G vs 4G

Started by Fishin Machine, January 21, 2018, 10:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishin Machine

This past weekend I purchased a Lowrance 12" HDS carbon total scan fish finder for my 19' Sea Ranger. I have two questions.

1. My next purchase is a 3G vs 4G radar. The price difference is $600.00 between the two. The sales rep from Lowrance said with the height of my tower the only thing beneficial gain with the 4G better clarity on the screen. The 4G would be a step up if my tower was 20' higher. Does any have experience with the 3G or 4G radars?

2. The SR has a 2003 Honda motor the Lowrance representative said the motor may have the ability to connect to the fish finder if it is NMEA 200 compatible. If it is compatible there is a network cable that can purchase and connected.

Thanks for the help
FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

croaker stroker

I think it depends on how much you use your Radar.

On one hand....
If you can afford it, go with the most recent changes. On my iPhone, sure glad I got LTE.  :biggrin:

On the other hand...
You may not need the best. Go with what will work for you. I have the old Furuno 1623 because I seldom use the Radar.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mcneilcab

I believe 2007  is when the fuel injected, nmea  200 option starts. I have 2006 hondas on my sea legend and am unable to hook up. I put a lowrance gen3 12" on my boat and I bought fuel sensors so I can maximize economy. I haven't used the boat with the new electronics yet....did you get the 3d module?
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

ATGEP

I just got the same HDS unit and was pondering the same question. The sponsored charter boat captain I purchased the unit from runs 3g radars on his boats. He reiterated the height limitations and thinks the 3g is as good as the 4g for our boats.  As I primarily use the radar to track moving objects within 2-5 miles during reduced visibility, I will getting the 3g.

Fishin Machine

ATGEP, I purchased my unit at the ISE sportsman show in Sacramento, and had a chance to talk to the Lowrance person at their booth. At first he was pushing the 4G for quality, but when confronted by Al Fong at Fishermans warehouse the Lowrance person changed his tune and did say the only thing I could gain was clarity. I will probably get the 3G.   :yeahthat:

Mcneilcab, I did not get the 3D module. Most of my fishing will be the San Francisco Bay, and Bodega. I'm not looking for structure like a bass fisherman. The 3D option was another thousand dollar option. If in the future there is a need for 3D I will get one. Are you going to run two fish finders?

The previous owner had a 5" HDS Gen1 on the passenger side of the boat and the 12" HDS on the driver side and network them together. I'm going to do the same thing. Not sure if the totalscan transducer will work with a Gen 1, but I have a business card for the technical support person at Lowrance to ask them tomorrow.

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

ATGEP

The best price I can find for a 3g dome is 1179 + 10 shipping.  Does anyone have a better source than that?

Mcneilcab

I didn't spring for the 3d either.   I am just running the gen3 for now.   I have the gen2 9"on my sea rangerht. I'm excited to get this new unit dialed in.
I did spring for the navionics maps.
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

FishAddict

I have never used the 3G, but I do have the 4G.  The 4G gives some extra things like split screen, but only if your using a Simrad instead of a Lowrance.  I do have it set up for MARPA, but I haven't ever got it to work properly.   I use my 4G with a point 1 and overlay it on my chart most of the time when navigating at night.  In calm seas I can pick up small crab pot buoys.  In larger seas I can still see boat traffic and large navigational buoys very clearly.  It has taken me home across the Columbia river bar in the dark multiple times and I wouldn't have wanted to do it without it.  I have also hooked up a VHF with AIS to overlay so the two combined on the chart makes things much safer in my opinion.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

croaker stroker

You guys are gonna need a bigger boat for all your electronics.  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DevMah

I did a lot of research on this then finally pulled the pin on the G3 this year, there are a few differences the G4 has longer range range and less cultter better detail.(24Nm VS 34NM)
After speaking to guys who have the G3 they all like them no complaints...
I spent time with The Lowerance Rep he said for my use (going across from Vancouver to the islands ) the G3 was more than enough, as I don't spend much time in busy harbours.
I am limited to height as I am mounting this off my arch, so my distance is limited. (See the second link)

So I purchased the G3 and with the $$ saved I now have upgraded my HDS 9 Structure to 3d unit.

http://www.boats.com/on-the-water/radar-is-4g-better/#.WmnsA8p6qf0
http://www.boats.com/reviews/choosing-the-right-radar/#.WmviGMp6qf0
http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/Radar/

FYI I have the point one overlay also . The G3 will  give you split screen only on Simrad units also...

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Peddler

I am friends with the former, long time Lowrance rep, being we're both in the same professional industry. He helped me immensely when I redid the suite of electronics on my boat. He too told me that for recreational use, and with a moderate height above the waterline, 3G would do everything I could want/need. After 5 years, he's not been proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

dbhazjack

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 22, 2018, 12:02:54 PM

Might be nice to look out the window once and a while  :bigshock:
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Kimbrey

That's funny.  Where did you get that picture?  That's the boat I used to run until the company built this present one that I'm driving around.  Right at the minute I have more screens than that one to play with.  The guy in the picture was my mate.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

croaker stroker

Quote from: Kimbrey on January 25, 2018, 10:14:41 PM

That's funny.  Where did you get that picture?  That's the boat I used to run until the company built this present one that I'm driving around.  Right at the minute I have more screens than that one to play with.  The guy in the picture was my mate.

Haha. I thought it was you? I found it on a website where they were discussing fishery regulations. Drag nets. And preventing collateral damage to other fish like Halibut while drag netting. The name "Seafreeze Alaska" was mentioned and that picture. I thought it was a picture of your boat.  :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DevMah

Quote from: Peddler on January 25, 2018, 07:10:51 AM
I am friends with the former, long time Lowrance rep, being we're both in the same professional industry. He helped me immensely when I redid the suite of electronics on my boat. He too told me that for recreational use, and with a moderate height above the waterline, 3G would do everything I could want/need. After 5 years, he's not been proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes as mentioned in my first post the Lowerance Rep told me the same that I would not get much more distance as I was mounting off my Arch.

http://www.boats.com/reviews/choosing-the-right-radar/#.Wmvjssp6qf0

Dev

BruceL2_Fish

I am running a Raymarine set  up with the 18" digital color radar and It works good.  I also find that our boats radar are most limited to the low height above the water.   I sure do like having the radar on those foggy days, it does just what I want it to.   I can see is someone is getting within a 1/2 mile of me and make sure we don't converge.   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Mile2885

I'm running 4G. MARPA is the only difference I can think of between the two which I find handy . I have 2 networked HDS3s and you can split screens with the radar that way. I find that handy as well.

Add a  heading sensor for chart overlay. I love it. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FishAddict

Are you saying that with the Gen 3 you can do a split screen with two different radar ranges simultaneously?  Lowrance told me that wasn't possible and I would have to buy a Simrad to use that feature of the 4G.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Mile2885

Quote from: FishAddict on February 01, 2018, 10:19:37 AM
Are you saying that with the Gen 3 you can do a split screen with two different radar ranges simultaneously?  Lowrance told me that wasn't possible and I would have to buy a Simrad to use that feature of the 4G.
98% sure. I can have charts on both screens and radar on both with different zoom on charts. You can kind of see it on this video. I can go fire up the radar this weekend and take another video to clarify.

https://vimeo.com/253843109

Mile2885

Quote from: Mile2885 on February 01, 2018, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: FishAddict on February 01, 2018, 10:19:37 AM
98% sure. I can have charts on both screens and radar on both with different zoom on charts. You can kind of see it on this video. I can go fire up the radar this weekend and take another video to clarify.

https://vimeo.com/253843109

Might not be as glamorous as the Simrad split screen.

Fishin Machine

Thank you everyone for the help. The 3G and Lowrance 12" Carbon came in today. Looks like my weekend will be busy. I purchase a fish-on stanchion to raise the radar up a little higher.

While picking up the fishfinder, I was looking to purchase Navionics maps but the sales person said it is not needed since the new Lowrance HDS carbon has the waterway maps that are equal or better than Navionics. What is everyone using for maps?
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Mile2885

Quote from: Fishin Machine on February 01, 2018, 07:01:06 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. The 3G and Lowrance 12" Carbon came in today. Looks like my weekend will be busy. I purchase a fish-on stanchion to raise the radar up a little higher.

While picking up the fishfinder, I was looking to purchase Navionics maps but the sales person said it is not needed since the new Lowrance HDS carbon has the waterway maps that are equal or better than Navionics. What is everyone using for maps?
I like Navionics but that's all I know.

DevMah

Navionics plus marine
Dev

Fishin Machine

I am a fan of Navionics also, and have it in my HDS 5.

Sorry to keep this post go on and on, but today I started removing my old transducer. While in the process I found this network cable that went back to my HDS 5 the device is connected to my gas line. Does anyone know what it does?  :shrug9:

Thank you
FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger