Author Topic: Buying a used outboard  (Read 240 times)

Offline JamesB

Buying a used outboard
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
I have read a few of the older posts on this subject but wanted to see if anyone has purchased a used outboard or used boat with used outboard in the past few years with an main outboard being 2002 and newer in model year.  Wondering if you could tell me the make, displacement, what you did to check engine health and whether you have had any problems.

I have called a few dealers and have also did some research online.  Seems like many people, including recommendations from some marine service managers, are stating they only do compression testing to check health of motor.  I am wondering if there is significant value in doing a leak down test and whether a leak down test on it's own is sufficient or should you combine it with a compression test.   

Online Fisherdv

Re: Buying a used outboard
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
Compression  check# 1, if ok proceed. Next, if a 4-stroke motor, check the condition of the motor oil. Check the lower end gear lube. Look for signs of more than normal metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. Look for milky or water contamination in both oils. Start the motor from cold, not already warmed up
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
Be very flexible with cash in hand. I was lucky enough to be 1 of the first 5 callers of 50 on the 2007 f60 Efi
 mint condition motor I purchased. When I showed up for a test run with the motor still on his boat he had the motor hooked up via a special Yamaha cable to his laptop. I could see the hours broke down by rpms and any codes the computer was throwing. I then test drove the motor on his boat at a local lake then went back to his house. I pulled the motor off his boat using a cherry picker he had and mounted on mine in about an hour an a half. It took me watching Craigslist 4-5 times a day for 6 months and making calls daily to boat repair places to see if they had any trade ins.  What put me first in line for this motor was telling the seller I have cash in hand, I can leave right this second to come take a look and if everything checks out I will give you full price no problem. I should add the previous owner just did a full service and had 
A meticulous folder full of past services with receipts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:46:23 AM by Dbobby23 »
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Offline sunnydude2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
I was lucky enough to be 1 of the first 5 callers of 50 on the 2007 f60 Efi
 mint condition motor I purchased.

Can I ask what that motor set you back?  Can send via private message if preferred.  Being in the PNW as well could give me an idea of what might need to spend.  TIA