Author Topic: Knarly Doood  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Threeweight

Re: Knarly Doood
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
A few years ago some of the guys at the Motor Lifeboat School at the mouth of the Columbia put together this video of a bunch of training footage.  Cool stuff... especially about 2 minutes 45 seconds in, when they intentionally roll a 47' aluminum MLB and allow it to self right.

https://youtu.be/aFb3yPtcakc

Also some cool shots of rescue swimmers training, and crews training on the Victory, a 1950's era 52' MLB that was restored a few years ago.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
   Cape Disappointment?  Man.......they named that place right!  Try that with your Arima and you could be dining on a "windshield sandwich".   :hoboy:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
That is no joke.    Those are some tough boats and well trained guys.   Water is so powerful and beautiful.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Awesome video. Much respect for those guys
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline E-TEC Pacer

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
I went to the MLB School at the Cape in '72. I was stationed at Quillayute at the time. I was going to get out in '72 but thanks to the school decided to stay in for another 6 years. Really learned a lot there and after the school I was out on the 44's playing in the surf when ever I could go. Learned what the boat could take and how she handled in all kinds of crap. Got stuck with the nasty boat calls after that, ugh. Really loved those boats. Really sad when one of them ended up on the beach a few years later and I think 4 CG lives lost. Really a sad deal. Didn't have the new 47's when I left so never got to run one. Heard though that the computer run engines weren't liked at first. When they needed power the computer argued and caused a few cuss words up on top so I guess they were re-worked. I would love to go back and try one out! I love being on the water but I also have a lot of respect for it.
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:12 AM »
Some pretty bizarre history behind the Cape Disappointment name.

A Spanish explorer (Bruno Heceta) mapped the OR/WA coast in 1775, and described a massive river/estuary with a prominent headland (cape) on the North side.  Englishman John Meares came along 12 years later and couldn't find it, so he said the Spaniard was exagerating and mocked him by naming the cape "Cape Disappointment."  Robert Gray (an American) found it a few years later, and tried to rename it "Cape Hancock" but the "Disappointment" name stuck.

There's a great book on the early history of European settlement on the lower Columbia called "Pacific Empire".... worth a read if you are a history buff.  If you are just a beer buff, it will explain why Forte George Brewing company in Astoria, OR is named as it is!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:55:29 AM by StreamFixer »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson