News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

About to purchase first Sea Hunter...

Started by sunnydude2, January 17, 2018, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunnydude2

I have been looking for a Sea Hunter to replace a Boston Whaler that I had.  For my purposes I don't need the 15'11" and the larger cuddy. 

Found a couple that are available in the area and it is coming down to canvas and motors.  Canvas I can make so lets talk motors.  One has a 80hp Mercury 2 stroke with good records and the other a 50hp Mercury 4 stroke (older tracker brand).  Besides crabbing and fishing, my kids are going to want to be towed on a tube behind.  I am not as worried about a kicker at this point.

What would you choose?  I need help deciding. 

Thanks in advance.

Yachter Yat

Hi Sunny:  I understand your thinking is primarily centered around the motors, but (motors notwithstanding) I'd probably be basing my decision more on the condition of the boat.  I'd take a nice hull with a "second choice" motor over the other way around any day.  BTW, the Hunter is my favorite Arima.  Five inches longer and it would have been in my garage.  Like you, I just didn't want a big boat either. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AlexB

I don't know where you live, but down here in CA a 2-stroke would limit your boating options.

2-strokes are banned in a handful of lakes in CA (including Tahoe), and I expect there to be more bans in the future not fewer. If history repeats itself, I also expect other states to follow California's lead and start banning 2-strokes.

I vote for the 4-stroke option (assuming all else is equal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

sunnydude2

Quote from: AlexB on January 17, 2018, 01:01:03 PM
I don't know where you live, but down here in CA a 2-stroke would limit your boating options.

I am up in the PNW and will be using mostly in salt water.

Both boats are in basically the same shape although the one with the 2 stroke I would say is in slightly better condition. 

Thanks for the input guys.

wedocq

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 17, 2018, 12:45:33 PM
   Hi Sunny:  I understand your thinking is primarily centered around the motors, but (motors notwithstanding) I'd probably be basing my decision more on the condition of the boat.  I'd take a nice hull with a "second choice" motor over the other way around any day.  BTW, the Hunter is my favorite Arima.  Five inches longer and it would have been in my garage.  Like you, I just didn't want a big boat either. 

Yat

I TOTALLY disagree! A little elbow grease and some gel coat goes a LONG way on making a hull look nice again. Transom failure is nearly non-existent with Arimas. I would take the better of the 2 motors. I mean, bottom line it's a fishing boat.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Yachter Yat

Nope!  I would take the better hull, sell the motor and invest in a descent 60/70 four stroke.  Glass work sucks.  Rarely looks right unless you hire a pro..........and that costs money. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AP

I'd take the better motor... which is neither of those 2 motors.  Patience...

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

That's my point!  Neither of those motors seems too attractive.   Therefore, go for the better hull.  What if you buy the crappy hull and come to realize you "have" to replace that "better" motor........guess what?  You'll have a nice motor on a "sh*ty" hull.....that's what.   Makes no sense.  Motors come and go........nice Arima hulls are something else. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

diodon

2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

Fisherdv

If you said your kids want to be pulled around on a tube then hold out and get a 4-stroke. The kids may not like breathing all that smoke all day from a 2-stroke.  :shrug9: :twocents: I used to troll all day with a 2-stroke, and if the wind is just right, breathing that smoke all day almost made me pass out

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

sunnydude2

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 19, 2018, 09:43:07 PM
If you said your kids want to be pulled around on a tube then hold out and get a 4-stroke. The kids may not like breathing all that smoke all day from a 2-stroke.  :shrug9: :twocents: I used to troll all day with a 2-stroke, and if the wind is just right, breathing that smoke all day almost made me pass out

Thanks for the advice.  I had a 40hp Johnson 2 stroke on my whaler that I just sold that they tubed behind.  They didn't complain but good thing to think about.

What do you guys think a good condition Sea Hunter hull is worth?  Another one popped up but it is $3k more but has the 4 stroke and canvas.  Only drawback is the seller isn't back from winter vacation until end of March.  If I wait then might miss out on the other one I am checking out tomorrow (second visit).

Fisherdv

IMHO, get the one you really like the best and what you can afford. 3K more for a much better boat overall with 4-stroke may be worth it. :twocents: If your set on a sea hunter have cash in hand, and when you find "the one" pounce

Marine40

I bought my Hunter hull for 2k, no motor.

Good luck.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

sunnydude2

Well I decided to get the Sea Hunter with the 80hp 2 stroke.  Seller had receipts from last fall after having it serviced.  All checked out well and it started up and ran well for me, that and the seller lowered the price.  :)

He actually had the bimini cover that has the piece that attaches to the windshield sitting down at his cabin.  The only thing that needs to be replaced is the bows but those are easy enough to have made especially since we have the old one to template from.

Looking forward to getting on the water.  Lucky for me the Seattle Boat show starts tomorrow.  My son is stoked to get a pot puller.  :)

Appreciate all the comments to my original post. 

Fisherdv

Congratulations! Now all we need is pictures  :yeahthat:

sunnydude2

It was pouring rain last night so only got one.  Canvas will be on shortly.

Yachter Yat

Aaah..........My favorite Arima.  Looks nice Sunny. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

sunnydude2

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 26, 2018, 09:52:20 AM
    Aaah..........My favorite Arima.  Looks nice Sunny.

Thank you.  Very exciting at our house.  My wife even likes it!

You can see in the picture where they have mounted starboard on the gunnels for downriggers.  Not done very well so going to remove them, fill holes and either use mounts that fit in the rod holders at the back or the side mount cannon ones.  When not fishing my kids are going to want to play.  Looking forward to lots of fun times on it.

croaker stroker

That boat and trailer look like new. He must have kept it inside.

Those boats are very Sea worthy for their size.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

That boat should go like a raped ape  :party: with that 80 on it.  And those motors love to be raped aped :jester:

Congrats. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Yachter Yat

Go is right!  That's the max HP for that boat.  IMO, I think the Honda the 60 would be the perfect match for that hull.  :wink:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)