News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

It can be dangerous on the Columbia River apparently

Started by blindmonkey, January 17, 2018, 09:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Yat, I believe you are correct. But get a few hundred, eager fisherman and all that goes out the window  :hoboy: Here in the SF Bay Area the water ways are starting to resemble the freeways. The population is just out of control.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Yeah, Fisher, I hear you.  Maybe a bit similar on this side.  That's why I got out of the Merrimack River.  Got a little "nutty". 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AlexB

If two boats are approaching each other nearly head on, similar to two cars approaching each other on a two-lane road (fine for cars, but too close for comfort/safety on the water) which boat would be considered the "starboard boat"? What about if the situation were a little different, as if both were driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

I haven't read this section in my Chapman book quite yet... That thing is pretty dense reading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

dbhazjack

Quote from: AlexB on January 19, 2018, 03:23:38 PM
If two boats are approaching each other nearly head on, similar to two cars approaching each other on a two-lane road (fine for cars, but too close for comfort/safety on the water) which boat would be considered the "starboard boat"? What about if the situation were a little different, as if both were driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

I haven't read this section in my Chapman book quite yet... That thing is pretty dense reading...

When power-driven boats approach each other head-on, neither boat has the right-of-way.
Both operators must take early and substantial action to steer clear of each other and steer to starboard as soon as possible in order to avoid a collision.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Quote from: dbhazjack on January 19, 2018, 03:42:01 PM
When power-diven boats approach each other head-on, neither boat has the right-of-way.
Both operators must take early and substantial action to steer clear of each other and steer to starboard as soon as possible in order to avoid a collision.

What he said. 

Good overview of the rules of the road at night:

http://www.unitedmarine.net/blog/index.php/2012/04/24/red-means-stop-green-means-go-not-always-in-boating/
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

We used to call Chapman's "The Bible".  I think I bought it even before buying my first boat.  A definite must for anyone getting on the water.  That book will never "steer" you wrong.  :facepalm: 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Sorry, Fixer.  Did it hurt?.................Good! :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Diablo

Quote from: AlexB on January 19, 2018, 03:23:38 PM

There is no "starboard boat", that applies as a guide for crossing boats, maneuverability matters more. You don't want to assume you have the right of way over a tug towing a log boom. Generally boats passing head on pass port to port. That only matters when you close to the other boat or in a narrow channel. In a wide channel boats can, and do, pass on either side without breaking any rule.
It is best to know the rules so you don't confuse other boaters with your actions.  When in a crowded fishing fleet I tell rookies "show your bow", in other words show your intentions. When someone in not familiar with the rules and are turning one way then the other other boaters don't know what their intentions are.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD