News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

It can be dangerous on the Columbia River apparently

Started by blindmonkey, January 17, 2018, 09:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blindmonkey

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Fisherdv

I once had someone troll into my boat while I was anchored and there was not many boats out there :hoboy: Sounds like this guy should of let the 12 year old drive :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

That's pretty high on the "Scariest things I've ever seen" list. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Idiot.!!  This is what I worry about in the fog. Even if you have Radar, some Idiot, who bought a brand new Bayliner, could come speeding blindly through the fog and smash into you. This guy should pay dearly to set an example to others.

California has a new law that everyone will eventually have to pass a test to obtain a boat license. I doubt it will prevent clueless idiots from endangering others.

This reminds me to check my Air Horn. Thanks for posting.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

I used to fish in that area a lot.  I'd like to say his behavior is unusual, but it isn't.  Frequently guys come roaring through the trolling in lane in all kinds of boats, jabbering on their cell phones and ignoring traffic.  I've had close calls with guide boats, yachts, tin cans, etc...

The worst are the guys with Garmin TR-1 autopilot set ups on their kickers, who plot a course then either start talking on their cell phones or take a nap.  Cause the other 5000 boats on the river are all supposed to get out of their way.

As much as possible, I prefer to cross the bar and fish the ocean to get away from the circus.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

You can't legally pilot a boat in my State without being certified.  That simply means you have to take (and pass) the boating course and hold that certificate......license, if you will.    Not only that; get caught piloting a boat under the influence and you lose your driver's license.  Does that stop the "crazies"?   Unfortunately, not always. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 17, 2018, 10:58:47 AM
   You can't legally pilot a boat in my State without being certified.  That simply means you have to take (and pass) the boating course and hold that certificate......license, if you will.    Not only that; get caught piloting a boat under the influence and you lose your driver's license.  Does that stop the "crazies"?   Unfortunately, not always. 

Yat

These rules have only been recently adopted in California and the pilot license does not come into full effect for several years.  The drinking rules are ignored.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

So, what happens in California if you get caught piloting a boat under the influence? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 17, 2018, 12:38:01 PM
   So, what happens in California if you get caught piloting a boat under the influence? 

Yat
Same as if you were in a vehicle

Yachter Yat

Interesting.  Guess that's the way it should be.  Funny.......when we go out, I take only 2 beers.  What's funnier is I usually wind-up bringing one home.  Dangerous enough out there, without being impaired. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

mustang65fbk

I'm shocked at this video.  I saw the headline and assumed it must've been dark in the early morning or something that had impaired the other drivers vision and not allowed him to see well.  I didn't expect it was going to be in the bright arse daylight and him doing 40mph or so.  I personally had a close scare, although nothing close to this speed, last summer.  I was trolling and so was another Arima actually, it was an older red 16' Sea Explorer that looked to have the wood paneling, with an older dad or grandfather and younger guy in his 20's who I'm guessing was his son or grandson.  We were trolling north and south as well as all of the other boats out there and these guys decide to be different and start trolling east and west against everyone else.  Well then they get a shaker on the line and both started freaking out like it was a keeper, so they kept it in drive and left control of the steering wheel.  The boat slowly starts continuing toward mine at a 90 degree angle.  It gets closer and closer and I'm thinking the whole time that they're going to turn or that they'll notice what's going on.  Finally, I sound the horn and start yelling at them as they're about to t-bone me.  They both for some reason think they are needed to get the shaker off their line, finally throw it back and then I speed up while all of my gear is still in the water and even pushed their boat away by hand in which it just barely missed hitting mine but then they got all of their gear tangled up with mine.  They were apologetic and could tell they were obviously embarrassed but I was still quite heated as I now have to rig up more tackle... luckily I noticed they were getting close and reeled up the down riggers and got a pole or two in but the rest was all tangled.  I just told them to cut the line and give us our flashers/spoons back.  This kind of stuff happens all the time where people aren't paying attention or for some reason people think they should be the "special" person and troll in the opposite direction of everyone else, which I for the life of me can't understand.  All the time I'll have boaters hauling arse and drive within 20' of my boat, it scares the S out of me and my thinking is that there's an entire body of open water out there, why do people have to get so flipping close to the next boat?  Personally, I want my space.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 17, 2018, 12:42:08 PM
Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 17, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Yat
Same as if you were in a vehicle

My friend and I saw a guy get stopped by the Sheriff. We watched them do a breath test on the guy, place a life jacket on him, and then towed his boat away. I would guess the Sheriff will impounded his boat. :shrug9:
From what I understand, 5 miles from shore, your could be under federal law which is a bit stricter. I guess depending on the crime.

Even though for my age group we don't need to do the test for the boaters card for a few years. I just went ahead and got the book and will be taking the test to get the card. Figured I do it now before California changes something with it and makes you jump through hoops to get one.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Threeweight

There's no hard and fast rule, but when another boat hooks a fish I try and give way to them.  Typically I just swing wide to get my lines clear of theirs... if the fish runs my way, I don't want it to tangle.

A lot of guys will leave their kickers in gear when fishing barbless hooks for salmon, as it can make it a little easier to keep the fish on the line.  Still, one should aways keep an eye on boats around them and avoid collisions.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

AJFishin

This is nothing close to being as bad as the Oregon accident, that's horrible. But here's another example of people not paying attention. This happened down here at Horseshoe which gets packed with boats in the summer.

https://youtu.be/jpubC5k9sdU

ATGEP

One of the true benefits of radar is being able to see who is around you in the fog.  I use the rule of not outrunning my visibility, but others with a lack of regard will run wide open in the fog and at night. In those cases, I use the radar to ensure I dont get run over.  This video reinforces the need to wear your gear as you never know when you are 1 second from being in the water.

Fisherdv

I see people come back to the dock completely wasted off one thing or the other all the time. I save the  :beerchug: till when I get home

Fisherdv

I've been thinking of implementing a new rule on my boat, wear your life jacket the whole time or don't go. I've had friends drinking on the boat and peeing of the side and get wobbly and almost fall in the water. Some dudes just don't want to wear a life jacket no matter what. I've been in some sh#% nasty water and have guys laughing, no life jacket, like it's a joke while I'm just completely focused on making it in safely

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 17, 2018, 02:44:55 PM
I've been thinking of implementing a new rule on my boat, wear your life jacket the whole time or don't go. I've had friends drinking on the boat and peeing of the side and get wobbly and almost fall in the water. Some dudes just don't want to wear a life jacket no matter what. I've been in some sh#% nasty water and have guys laughing, no life jacket, like it's a joke while I'm just completely focused on making it in safely

Captain Bummer here, but that's the rule on my boat, but I also add no alcohol. I don't want to take any chances of someone going over and then being to drunk to hold on to a rope or climb the ladder.
My friend, who's on the larger side, said he couldn't fit into my life jackets so he wouldn't wear one. I purchased 2 inflatable jackets, that way there are no excesses not to wear them. He wasn't to happy at first, but learned to like the jacket.

Fisherdv

Arimaway

1987 Sea Ranger 17.
2016 Mercury 90 Command Thrust 4-STROKE

Fisherdv

Geez AJ, you give them one of them expensive auto PFD's? I'll throw em one of those old school orange, bulky ones. If they want an auto their gonna have to buy it themselves  :jester:

Fisherdv

Yachter Yat

WOW! Look at time :46 on that clip.  Am I seeing things or are we looking at prop gouges?   :hoboy:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

Wow. Amazing. Standing up and focusing on driving can be hard... :stooges:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)