Author Topic: It can be dangerous on the Columbia River apparently  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Mooch

Re: It can be dangerous on the Columbia River apparently
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Mess with the bull, get the horns.  Be safe out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZJ__8PVDU&feature=youtu.be

All in all it was lucky no prop marks were left on the Albin and no one jumped off the "boat" that was hit.  Be sure to check out the name on the back of the Albin.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:52:02 PM by Mooch »
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Currently accepting hot waypoints from WA MA 2-10

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
I guess he’s awake now :hoboy:
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
I guess he’s awake now :hoboy:

No kidding, I think his Nap Time is over after that. He needs to change the name to Messy Shorts :hoboy:
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Mooch

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
What astonishs me in both cases is their utter lack of remorse, empathy and ability to accept blame or responsibility for their actions.  In the first case, the Trophy skipper later attempted to deflect blame by saying the video misrepresents what happened, that the victims claims are "fake news" and that their suit is "unnecessary".  In a follow-up report by local news, the dude with the Albin whined that the Washington State ferry inflicted $63K damage to his boat and imposed a severe hardship on him because he was a live-aboard and was homeless until repairs could be completed months later. 

They should both be very glad no one was hurt and that they aren't commanders in our Navy's 7th fleet.

Here's another one, which I'll call "Riding into the Sunset":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sn9t95ZnKU

Keep it on a swivel and watch your six.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:41:17 PM by Mooch »

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
Geez AJ, you give them one of them expensive auto PFD’s? I’ll throw em one of those old school orange, bulky ones. If they want an auto their gonna have to buy it themselves  :jester:

West Marine had a good deal on them, so I picked up a couple. I figured spend a few bucks to make everyone safe and comfortable.

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
Geez AJ, you give them one of them expensive auto PFD’s? I’ll throw em one of those old school orange, bulky ones. If they want an auto their gonna have to buy it themselves  :jester:

West Marine had a good deal on them, so I picked up a couple. I figured spend a few bucks to make everyone safe and comfortable.
Ya, good idea. Then maybe they’ll wear it. I really like mine. West Marine does have some good sales on them often.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »
Back to the original SST clip...  I am sure the fellows on the tin can had PFDs... and that they were safely stowed so everyone knew where they were (quite often the norm)... 

Since they all knew they had them, and where they were, I wonder why they did not take the time to don them before they bailed???  After all everyone knows there will be plenty of time to put them on otherwise surely they would always wear them...   :doh:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 11:50:32 PM »

Maybe they’ll wear them now.

Some of those who think wearing PFDs are not needed may change their minds after seeing this video.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Danno

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:06 AM »
Amazing that one took their fishing pole overboard with them.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline Omega3

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
Full throttle on the kicker and a sharp turn may have saved them.Waving your arms is not evasive manuvers.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 08:06:01 AM »
Scarry thing is I fish half dozen or so times a year with an old timer, he is 70 and is totally into electronics so his focus is only on electronics.

He has numerous-numerous close calls, two years ago while fishing alone on the troll with his auto pilot on driving the 23 foot well craft he heard yelling and made contact into a boat that was boarded by the coast guard.  I asked if they boarded or cited him and he said no. If he is on his tack line to Point Reyes he will not veer off his line to give other boats fishing room, he has blown by them at 40 yards away!!. Last year he said he was not going to fish with me anymore if I did not stop yelling at him on these occurrences, to this day he still thinks he is doing nothing wrong. He is totally oblivious to his lack of visual eye sight like that frick'n moron in the first video, I could see my friend doing that, and wont be surprised when he hits someone or runs ashore.
I've tried talking to him on a number of occasions but he just shrugs it off and thinks he is doing nothing wrong. Your probably thinking why would one want to fish with this guy but somebody has to keep everyone else safe out there, I am afraid to let him go alone. Thankfully it is only 6-8 trips a year, he only fishes with me or by himself if I cant make it.

It is scary to know that people are commanding these boats out there, I have warned him I will talk to his bride if he cannot pay attention to his surroundings on the water.....not sure it will help, I'll just need to accompany him on his outings.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Diablo

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
As to the ferry collision, ‘Nap Time’ thought he had the right of way because he was starboard of the ferry. That doesn’t matter the ferry was less maneuverable. You can be sure the ferry captain reported the collision and the ‘Nap Time’ was fined for not avoiding a collision. The ferry captain probably also got reprimanded.
If boats collide rules were broken. Ask the captains of the Navy ships that recently collided.

Who has the "right of way" on the water? The Navigation Rules convey a right-of-way only in one particular circumstance: to power-driven vessels proceeding downbound with a following current in narrow channels or fairways of the Great Lakes , Western Rivers, or other waters specified by regulation (Inland Rule 9(a)(ii)). Otherwise, power-driven vessels are to keep out of the way (Rule 18) and either give-way (Rule 16) or stand-on (Rule 17) to vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to maneuver, sailing vessels or vessels engaged in fishing, and, similarly vessels should avoid impeding the safe passage of a vessel constrained by her draft (Rule 18), navigating a narrow channel (Rule 9) or traffic separation scheme (Rule 10). The Rules do not grant privileges they impose responsibilities and require precaution under all conditions and circumstances; no Rule exonerates any vessel from the consequences of neglect (Rule 2). Neglect, among other things, could be not maintaining a proper look-out (Rule 5), use of improper speed (Rule 6), not taking the appropriate actions to determine and avoid collision (Rule 7 & 8) or completely ignoring your responsibilities under the Rules.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »

I wouldn’t want to loose my favorite rod and reel either.    🏊🏻‍♂️
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »

I wouldn’t want to loose my favorite rod and reel either.    🏊🏻‍♂️
The GLoomis IMX? No way! :jester:

Offline FishAddict

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
I don't see any photo's of the damage done to the thin skinned glass trophy?  Maybe glass wins over tin again.  I know my Arima held up really well going down I5 on it's own....
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
Here's the news story regarding the ferry and the powerboat and who's at fault.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/local/2017/02/28/both-skippers-contributed-crash-between-ferry-powerboat/98497218/

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Mooch

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
Here's one solution to avoid a collision:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIMjQOCLkS4

Maybe glass wins over tin again.
  Maybe not so much in the case of this video.  BTW, Ialso noticed that the skiff clearly had the right of way off the Starboard.  ;)

I know my Arima held up really well going down I5 on it's own....
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I'm sure it's also great comfort to know that glass is less likely than tin to self-combust in it's own trail of sparks and gas.  :)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Diablo makes a very good point.  Generally, no one has "right of way" on the water.  Every skipper has a legal responsibility to take whatever action is necessary to avoid a situation where a collision may occur or lives may be put in danger.

There are specific rules for how and where to pass boats in various situations.  There are rules that say generally vessels that are more maneuverable should give way to vessels that are less.  Power boats should generally give way to sail, all boats should generally give way to commercial fishing boats or dredges with gear in the water, etc... But even in those cases, that doesn't mean you can just follow the rule, collide with someone, then blame the other guy for not getting out of your way.

We had an incident in Portland last year during the annual Dragon Boat Race that highlights this.  Bunch of paddling crews out on the Willamette River, racing.  The Portland Spirit, a mini-cruise ship, is returning downriver to it's dock after dropping off passengers.  The Spirit ran right through the racers, forcing the paddle crews to take evasive action so there was no collision.  The skipper initially tried to argue that since his boat was much larger and limited to the navigation channel, and he was going downriver with the current, he had "right of way".

Coast Guard suspended his commercial license.  There is no such thing as "right of way" on the Willamette, and his first responsibility was to avoid a collision.  He was in an engine powered craft that could have backed into the current and waited for the paddlers to pass, or skirted the other side of the channel, and instead he plowed right through them. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
I don't see any photo's of the damage done to the thin skinned glass trophy?  Maybe glass wins over tin again. 

Re: glass vs. aluminum... take a look at this picture...

A 31' glass boat probably weighting close to 15,000 pounds hit the transom of an 18' soft top aluminum boat dead on, with the sharpest part of it's bow, then ran right down the middle of it.  It looks like other than a crushed windshield, some bent rod holders, and a busted outboard cowling, the Weldcraft came out ok.  Pretty impressive, IMO.

Note the inflated PFD on the floor.  Hey, it works!  Too bad no one was wearing it!

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 03:21:30 PM »
The question is "Who had the right of way?" --- Really???    Are you sure the argument isn't likely to be along the lines of:   I was right -- unfortunately dead right -- but right never the less    :hoboy:

Persist in demanding your 'right of way' on land, water or in the air and you may be the featured attraction of a nice funeral..

StreamFixer

P.S.  Did anyone notice the trolling motor is missing?
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
Looks like the kicker bracket and cables are still there... the way they are hanging, I wonder if it was dangling off the transom?

Also note that the flotation cushion the guy running the kicker was sitting on is still right where he left it!

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
I believe that the sport fishing regulations say that you must attend to, and look after any fishing poles that are in the water. I guess these rules don’t apply to piloting the boat :shrug9:

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Another photo... looks like the port side back corner of the Weldcraft did take a hit.  Gives me willies to think what would have happened to a person sitting there holding the kicker.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
    When two power boats approach each other, (all things being equal) the boat to starboard has the right of way.  Don't believe me?   Take a look at your bow light.   

When I was young, dumb and full of you know what, I decided to watch the fireworks at Hampton Beach from just offshore.  I was running my Stamas 21 at the time.  Anyway, when the festivities were over, we headed back south to the Merrimack River.  Just happened to be a pitch black night.  Along the way, I saw a boat light approaching off my port side.  Yep, a "green" light.  As we closed on each other, that boat slowed and allowed me to pass.  Shortly thereafter, he crossed behind me and I could see what looked like as small commercial fishing boat.  I remember thinking to myself:  A pilot who, obviously, knows the "Rules of the Road".   Take that boating course!

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
 Considering all that damage to the tin can, it still looks to be in “floatable” condition