News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Tiderunner Project

Started by Redhawk, January 15, 2018, 10:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhawk

Well we finally got up to our house where Sparhawk, our Tiderunner 150 Cuddy, is stored. Got to do a bit of work on her this weekend since it was a 3 day due to MLK day. Stripped every strand of wiring out except for the wiring I did earlier this year to wire on a new running light as the old one was shot. Going to rewire everything as the connections were horrific and certainly not worthy of a marine environment. Most just had the ends stripped, twisted, and loosely wrapped in electrical wire. Removed the two Scotty Hella sockets. Disconnected the fuel gauge, etc. Going to try to update this thread as I do more work. And yes, that is glitter paint on cuddy walls. The guy we bought it from decided it would be a good idea to let his grandchildren paint on the walls of the cuddy while he fished about a week before we bought it.

Control Panel Wiring Before:

Control Panel Wiring After:

Downrigger Fuse Connection:

Main Negative Battery Connector:

Main Positive Battery Connector:

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

First Cabin

That's some quality work there. :hoboy:  See it all the time though, unfortunately.

I re-wired our boat a few years back, and the boat has been trouble free ever since.  No more Gremlins!  It's a good feeling!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Redhawk

Quote from: First Cabin on January 16, 2018, 06:14:02 AM
That's some quality work there. :hoboy:  See it all the time though, unfortunately.

I re-wired our boat a few years back, and the boat has been trouble free ever since.  No more Gremlins!  It's a good feeling!
I am hoping for the same successful outcome! For a bit the Humminbird Helix 5 that came on the boat was having issues turning on and staying on and it turned out to be a crappy connection where the fuse panel connected to the bus bar. Luckily I got the connection redone properly and it worked fine. I was originally going to just remove the outlets but decided to bit the bullet and redo all the wiring so I would know it was quality work and wouldn't fail. There were also no switches whatsoever. None to turn off power to the downrigger outlets, none to turn off the fuel gauge, none to turn off the whole battery system. It was a disaster. It was like the definition of rat's nest by the battery, just twice as...
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Markshoreline

Count your blessings that the connections have tape rather than chewing gum!   :jester:

That's a great project and will make your boating safer and more enjoyable.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Redhawk

Quote from: Markshoreline on January 17, 2018, 07:53:32 AM
Count your blessings that the connections have tape rather than chewing gum!   :jester:

That's a great project and will make your boating safer and more enjoyable.
That was one of the goals, make it less worrisome to go out on the water and also to know what wires go where and which ones actually do stuff. About 60% of the wiring was disconnected and just made it confusing as all get out. Will definately keep ya'll updated!
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Redhawk

Went up a few times during the winter and spring to get some work done. Redid some pinstriping, finished the rewrite except for color coding, installed a new fuel sender and gauge, and added a new battery box that actually had a lid. I then brought the 2 clamshells home, coated them in resin, sanded, and painted them to fix some cracks and make them look better until we got new ones, and hand filed and sanded all the paint off the prop and painted it white to look better until we get a new one. I still have to polish it and put a clear protective coat on it.

Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Tom Mac

Very nice job cleaning up the prop, but there looks to be a large piece missing from one of the blades. I would think it would vibrate and damage your outboard.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Redhawk

Quote from: Tom Mac on April 14, 2018, 09:43:31 PM
Very nice job cleaning up the prop, but there looks to be a large piece missing from one of the blades. I would think it would vibrate and damage your outboard.
It was that was when we got the boat. The owner hit the prop on a rock while trying o trailer the boat and knocked a large chunk off the tip of the blade. Surprisingly it has been quiet but a new prop is on the purchase list soon, hoping to have a new one this summer.
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Yachter Yat

That prop is junk!  And that's all I got to say about that.   :jester:

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Redhawk

Quote from: Yachter Yat on April 15, 2018, 01:03:42 PM
   That prop is junk!  And that's all I got to say about that.   :jester:

Yat
It really is and it's currently next in line on the chopping block. It is a mercury 13.5x17 and I am hoping to upgrade to a 14x21 or 14x19.
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Fisherdv

Going from a 13.5x17 to a 14x19 or 21 is quite a big difference. May be too much prop for that motor
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Redhawk

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 15, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Going from a 13.5x17 to a 14x19 or 21 is quite a big difference. May be too much prop for that motor
It may be. I am still doing research on the boat and the engine as there is next to nothing on the boat and the engine has no serial numbers that I have found so far. I contacted Defiance about the slim possibility that over the years that Arima bought Tiderunner and then Arima was purchased by Defiance some plans or specs for the 150 cuddy are still hanging around in their files. The engine I know is a 3 cylinder Evinrude, either 70s or 80s but I have nothing else. Currently taking the engine apart to replace parts and to see if there is a serial number or model number on something.
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Redhawk

Update: we took the motor to a shop and had it taken off, just a piece of junk. We are still deciding on a new motor and opted to wait until my parents are retired (t years of so) so we are having a 1995 Mercury 60 installed to get us back on the water for the summer and until we get a brand new motor.
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke