Author Topic: Tiderunner Project  (Read 251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Redhawk

Tiderunner Project
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:04 PM »
Well we finally got up to our house where Sparhawk, our Tiderunner 150 Cuddy, is stored. Got to do a bit of work on her this weekend since it was a 3 day due to MLK day. Stripped every strand of wiring out except for the wiring I did earlier this year to wire on a new running light as the old one was shot. Going to rewire everything as the connections were horrific and certainly not worthy of a marine environment. Most just had the ends stripped, twisted, and loosely wrapped in electrical wire. Removed the two Scotty Hella sockets. Disconnected the fuel gauge, etc. Going to try to update this thread as I do more work. And yes, that is glitter paint on cuddy walls. The guy we bought it from decided it would be a good idea to let his grandchildren paint on the walls of the cuddy while he fished about a week before we bought it.

Control Panel Wiring Before:



Control Panel Wiring After:



Downrigger Fuse Connection:



Main Negative Battery Connector:



Main Positive Battery Connector:



Offline First Cabin

Re: Tiderunner Project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:14:02 AM »
That’s some quality work there. :hoboy:  See it all the time though, unfortunately.

I re-wired our boat a few years back, and the boat has been trouble free ever since.  No more Gremlins!  It’s a good feeling!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Redhawk

Re: Tiderunner Project
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »
That’s some quality work there. :hoboy:  See it all the time though, unfortunately.

I re-wired our boat a few years back, and the boat has been trouble free ever since.  No more Gremlins!  It’s a good feeling!
I am hoping for the same successful outcome! For a bit the Humminbird Helix 5 that came on the boat was having issues turning on and staying on and it turned out to be a crappy connection where the fuse panel connected to the bus bar. Luckily I got the connection redone properly and it worked fine. I was originally going to just remove the outlets but decided to bit the bullet and redo all the wiring so I would know it was quality work and wouldn’t fail. There were also no switches whatsoever. None to turn off power to the downrigger outlets, none to turn off the fuel gauge, none to turn off the whole battery system. It was a disaster. It was like the definition of rat’s nest by the battery, just twice as...

Online Markshoreline

Re: Tiderunner Project
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
Count your blessings that the connections have tape rather than chewing gum!   :jester:

That's a great project and will make your boating safer and more enjoyable.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Redhawk

Re: Tiderunner Project
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:04:46 PM »
Count your blessings that the connections have tape rather than chewing gum!   :jester:

That's a great project and will make your boating safer and more enjoyable.
That was one of the goals, make it less worrisome to go out on the water and also to know what wires go where and which ones actually do stuff. About 60% of the wiring was disconnected and just made it confusing as all get out. Will definately keep ya’ll updated!