News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

My speedometer quit working today

Started by Dhil12, January 15, 2018, 09:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhil12

My speedometer quit working today and I am taking a guess the hole is plugged on the lower unit.It reads 3 -6 mph at all speeds. It's a 200 yamaha. Anyone have a trick to try and unplug since I'm moored? I dont want the expense of coming out of the water only for this.

Thanks, Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Omega3

My speedo plugged so much I disconnected it.GPS for speed and I really only care about RPM anyway.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

On an older motor I had I would just twist a small drill bit by hand to clear it. Not sure about your motor though. But as omega said, use your gps for speed. Although on a new boat I would want everything working too
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

You could convert to a GPS speedometer, there was a thread a week ago or so on GPS speedometers, I'm thinking of possibly converting to one.

Peddler

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 15, 2018, 10:05:01 PM
On an older motor I had I would just twist a small drill bit by hand to clear it. Not sure about your motor though. But as omega said, use your gps for speed. Although on a new boat I would want everything working too

Yep, this. Your 200 should be the same as my 150's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Dhil12

Thanks guys. I dont think I can get to it until I take the boat out of the water. I can use my gps for speed, but I think this gauge ties to the tack for fuel consumption? So gpm or mpg become useless until it's fixed, which I like watching

Thanks, Darrell
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

GregE

Yep.  SOG doesn't equate to Miles per gallon when the tides are running for or against you.

Some of us are picky figuring performance numbers....   :biggrin:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Dhil12

Quote from: GregE on January 16, 2018, 05:23:14 PM
Yep.  SOG doesn't equate to Miles per gallon when the tides are running for or against you.

Some of us are picky figuring performance numbers....   :biggrin:

Yes! :biggrin:
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

wedocq

PEOPLE STILL USE THE OLD STYLE SPEDOS????  :biggrin: :biggrin: Haha, sorry I haven't been on a boat in 20 years that had a functioning speedometer. Everyone just uses GPS.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Dhil12

Quote from: wedocq on January 16, 2018, 09:58:15 PM
PEOPLE STILL USE THE OLD STYLE SPEDOS????  :biggrin: :biggrin: Haha, sorry I haven't been on a boat in 20 years that had a functioning speedometer. Everyone just uses GPS.
-Shawn

HAHA :jester: :biggrin:
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Fisherdv

Dhil12, do you have your motor networked to your ff/gps via NMEA2000? If so you could get all your speed, fuel burn, engine temp, rpm etc. all on your one ff/ gps screen. But just to get that speedo gauge you have now working as I mentioned earlier when you get a chance to pull your boat out take a small drill bit and twist slowly by hand in that little almost v shaped hole on the front lower unit. Probably just got some weed, debris, dirt, etc. in there. You might want to clear that hole each time you get the boat on land :twocents:

Dhil12

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 16, 2018, 10:17:11 PM
Dhil12, do you have your motor networked to your ff/gps via NMEA2000? If so you could get all your speed, fuel burn, engine temp, rpm etc. all on your one ff/ gps screen. But just to get that speedo gauge you have now working as I mentioned earlier when you get a chance to pull your boat out take a small drill bit and twist slowly by hand in that little almost v shaped hole on the front lower unit. Probably just got some weed, debris, dirt, etc. in there. You might want to clear that hole each time you get the boat on land :twocents:

to be honest, I dont know. I am still learning my Garmin 7612 xsv. I should ask the dealer who outfitted the boat. I'm still learning. Thank you very much for your help

Darrel
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Fisherdv

Ya, for sure find out. I bet you have your motor networked already via NMEA 2000 and don't even know it! All the engine data, fuel burn etc.

Fisherdv

You may be able to check you manual for your Garmin and see if you can pull it up or, maybe someone else here could tell you how to check. I don't have my motor networked yet, but I'm working on it

Markshoreline

99% likelihood that your motor is networked, given it is new and set up by the dealer, however the gps will show mph even if it weren't networked to the motor.  You can easily tell by looking for the network connectors- here's a pic... https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-Networked-Marine-Electronics
You can clear the pick up hole on the motor but it will get clogged again...  :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

davidsea

If you have a portable air tank available, hook up a hose and blow gun, pull the line from the back of the speedo, and blow air backwards down the line towards the pickup.  This will usually clear any blockage.  Probably best not to use more than 20-30 Psi.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

neild

:yeahthat: An analog speedo isn't the most accurate as all the fancy new electronics but I like all my gauges to work too. Just looks better, and the only thing I can handle being broke on my boat is me. I'd try the small drill bit and then a blast of air.
Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki

Hunter

I agree with Mark and others here and bet dollars to doughnuts that your motor and electronics are all NMEA 2000 networked on your new SL.  It would have been shortsided for the rigger to not do that.   I use a 7610xsv which is the same as your unit only 2in smaller.  (now if that ain't an opening for a wisecrack......I don't know what is)...  :jester:   

I'm not at the boat now but if I remember correctly it's simply a matter of going to your main Menu button and then select " AV / Gauges" which is  at the bottom of the selections on the right of your screen..    Good luck!         

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/pOHPfnCMu5069YjSyF9Nu5

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=622&ei=2GmLWpyjH4TUjwPsvbv4DQ&q=garmin+7610xsv+guage+mode&oq=Garmin+&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39k1j0l9.3345.5563.0.8340.8.8.0.0.0.0.139.895.0j7.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.7.888.0...0.UDLXuae5C80#imgrc=Sq2N7WDU62VN8M:&spf=1519086339145

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸