News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Can this 2100# EZloader trailer bunks be adjusted to raise the bow?

Started by Fisherdv, January 15, 2018, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Want to raise the bow a few inches on the trailer to maybe help with fueling and also get the water when washing down the deck to flow twords the back of the boat. Currently when washing the deck the water flows forward to the cuddy. It looks like the front bunk support can be raised about 2 inches. However the back bunk supports don't look like they have any tilt adjustment (front to back) to accommodate it. Any ideas? Is it possible? First pic is the rear bunk support. Second pic is the front bunk support. I wanted the bow down in the trailer to make sure it would fit in my garage. Now I know it fits and have about 6-8 in clearance
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

Omega3

The first thing I would do would be to take the boat to the gas station at night when not busy.Jack the tounge up and see if it helps your fueling issue.Do the same thing while washing the boat.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

Quote from: Omega3 on January 15, 2018, 09:21:32 PM
The first thing I would do would be to take the boat to the gas station at night when not busy.Jack the tounge up and see if it helps your fueling issue.Do the same thing while washing the boat.
I tried twice at the gas station disconnected from truck, and jack all the way up. Didn't help. As far as washdown at the ramp, I usually have a line of impatient people waiting for the hose hook up so I try to get in, and out. Not really time to disconnect from truck. But, what I will do is after washdown I'll back halfway down the ramp with plug out so the water will drain

cohosalmon

Sounds like raising the bow by a couple of inches is not going to make any difference then. Might as well leave the trailer as is!? If you really wanted to adjust your front bunks 2" up you could custom make wedges under your rear bunks to get the right angle. I would assume however that the rear bunks as they are can accommodate this slight angle change without any extra doing.

First Cabin

Your boat appears to be properly sitting on the trailer.  2" isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

Mine and most Arimas will hold a bit of water forward unless you can really (2-3')raise the front.

Get a steep driveway :jester:  Learn to live with a few ounces in the bilge. :shrug9:

I'm lucky in that I have an incline in front of my garage that allows it to drain completely when I wash it.

After/while washing, maybe you can slip a floor jack under the front?  That's probably what I would do.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Fisherdv

Ya, you guys are probably right, I should probably leave it alone. I really don't want to mess with it because it goes off and on the trailer so nicely as is. I could just flip my tow hitch up to gain a few inches

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  Here's how I "roll".......maybe this will help:  First off, I don't wash anything at a ramp or marina; just too hectic, and cold water doesn't work for me.  When I pull my boat out and get out of the way, the first thing I do is pull the bilge plug.  Believe me, if there happens to be any water in the bilge, it's long gone by the time I get home. I put the motor on lock, drop the antenna, make sure the canvas and everything is secured and I'm on my way.

When home, I block the trailer wheels, unhitch the tongue and jack the boat all the way up.  This, coupled with a slight angle in my driveway, is enough to get any rinse water out the back. (Note:  I don't move the truck.)   I connect the rinse fixture to the motor with my "special" salt terminator/lemon concoction on a warm to hot water setting.  While that's running, I'm usually unloading some gear. 

When I feel the motor's had enough, I replace the nozzle on the hose and start rinsing the hull; again, with warm to hot water.  I spray everywhere.  Salt simply disappears!  If it's been a rough day, I'll even spray the deck.  Being jacked-up, water washes right out.  Yes, I do the trailer as well.  After rinsing, I usually do a little water swiping with my "California rubber squeegee thingydo".  Doing that gives a little extra time for the boat to drain.

By this time, I've pretty much had enough.  I jack the boat back down on the hitch.  (Remember, I didn't move the truck!)  Now, my "baby" goes in the garage.  When garaged, I leave it jack all the way.......at least for a while.   A couple more things:  I always make sure the winch pressure is released and then I close my fuel vent with electrical tape.  In addition to that, I open all the hatches and "sop-up" the bulk of any sitting water.  I'll usually leave those hatches open to dry. 

I know what you're thinking........golfing would be easier, but who the hell likes golf?   Oh wait....... :hoboy:

Yat 

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, by sealing off your vent in the garage are you running the risk of pressure building up in the tank and possibly causing a fuel leak or pressure in the motor fuel rail/fittings? I guess the tape would blow off first though. Believe me, I've seen first hand what happens to those EPA, sealed, non-venting plastic tanks. They will swell up like a ballon in temperature variations

AJFishin

What about flipping the tow ball mount like in this picture?

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Peddler

I use car ramps under the rear truck tires to lift the bow higher when washing. I store the ramps on the boat trailer when not in-use, and just put them in the back of the truck when I hitch up to the trailer. I find this easier than using the tongue jack.

There are two ways you could adjust the front end of your bunks. 1 is to take-up the distance in the brackets, the other is to move the front ends closer to the center-line of the trailer. From my experience, the rear bunk brackets should be "sloppy" enough to accommodate these adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  Never noticed any problems with pressure from sealing that vent.  No tank problems, no vent problems.......no motor problems.  And most importantly;  No "water-in-the-fuel" problems either.  That's why I do it. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 16, 2018, 09:11:24 AM
What about flipping the tow ball mount like in this picture?

AJ, that's next if I can find the dang key for the pin :doh:

Yachter Yat

Peddler, thanks.  Good idea about those ramps.  The only place I'd use those is at home, so I could simply keep them in the garage.  BTW guys, just wanted to say that I found these Arimas have to be raised quite a bit to get the bilge to drain.  It's simply because of how they're made.  What I mean is, the bilge gets considerably "deeper" as you go forward.  The way to really see this is to place a 4 foot level on the gunwale and get the boat level with the jack.  Then take that level and crawl under the boat and hold it up against the keel.  You'll be amazed at the difference. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yup, water likes to collect under the in floor, forward cooler compartment no matter how steep of an angle you drain the bilge. I'll back half way down the boat ramp to drain at a steep angle and when I put the boat in the garage and look in that floor cooler you can see a few inches of water in there through the hole. Probably won't hurt nothing, but it could get kind of "funky" in there after a long time

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

It's those little 8" sardines that wiggle down through the holes into the bilge that can get really nasty smelling.  :hoboy:

Then you have to get down, roll up your sleeves, and hold your breath, while you reach through to drag them out. Who knows what will be in the hand-full of nastiness you pull out?

I'll ask my wife to get it out for me.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Redhawk

I just use a hand pump to pump out any water. The 150 cuddy has a pretty good 2" lip at the door to the cuddy. That helps keep 99% of the water out.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Omega3

When I park the boat I raise the tounge jack all the way.I have a 4x6 cut to just fit under the tounge that the trailer sits on to prevent load on the jack.Every bit of water drains out.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

familyrig

Not sure if you have a sidewalk but I pull straight into my driveway leaving the boat trailer wheels in the gutter and wash down.  This only works if you are not on a busy street.  Works great and I don't have to unhitch.

David

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

Fisherdv

Quote from: familyrig on January 16, 2018, 09:37:34 PM
Not sure if you have a sidewalk but I pull straight into my driveway leaving the boat trailer wheels in the gutter and wash down.  This only works if you are not on a busy street.  Works great and I don't have to unhitch.

David

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

David, if I'm washing down at home that is exactly what I do. My driveway is fairly steep. Most of the time though I like to wash down at the boat ramp immediately after being in the salt. Have to do it pretty quick as it's usually busy. Right now with the boat nose down a bit on the trailer, and hooked to the truck, the rinse water flows forward twords the bow, not to the drain. If I'm lucky and there's no one at the ramp I'll back down the ramp till all the water drains out. Really not a problem, but it's an extra step I have to do. I'm tired from being up so early, fishing all day, rocking in the boat, washing the boat, flushing motor, drive time etc. so looking for the easiest, least amount of extra steps possible. On the drive home the boats usually pretty dry by the time I get home except for some water in the bilge. I guess I'm really trying to accomplish two things by raising the bow a bit on the trailer; 1) possibly help my fueling issues, and 2) when washing down the boat hooked up to my truck at least get the water to flow to the rear of the boat and not go to the cuddy

AJFishin

At one of our ramps, "Davies", we're lucky to have 4 wash down spots, there's a secret 5th one at the restroom that some tap into. But during the summer it can get crowed and some people can take 30 minutes or longer to wash down and that's when people start to get a little upset.
I usually take about 20 minutes, but I have a routine I go through before getting to the wash down area, because like you, I don't want to bring work home after a day of fishing.

But there are some things I use that helped me move faster and to GTHO from there. Not sure if this would be of any help.
First I use a "Y" connector that I attach to the water tap. Then I run 2 of my hoses from that; 1 hose to do my engine flush and the other hose to wash the boat during my engine flush.
Second is a bush with a long handle on it to scrub the boat and the deck (2 different brushes & 2 different cleaners) and a wash mitt.
Works well for me.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

I don't know guys.  Whatever works for you, I suppose.  For me, (in addition to all the other aforementioned benefits) cleaning-up at home is a lot more leisurely and a lot less hectic.  Besides that, if I want to work in my underpants or crack-open a couple of cold ones during the process, I don't have to worry about the consequences.  Yeah, that's right, I own some land, and my neighbors aren't too close.   :biggrin:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv