News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

What do you guys use to seal your brass drain plug threads?

Started by Fisherdv, January 14, 2018, 09:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

What do you guys use (if anything) to seal your brass drain plug threads? I put Teflon tape on mine
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Peddler

I've never needed/used anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fisherdv

Wouldn't you get water coming in if the threads are not sealed :shrug9:

Hydroman

The threads are a tapered pipe thread and should not leak.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Tom Mac

I all ways put a few wraps of Teflon tape, its not going to hurt anything.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

StreamFixer

Hydroman nailed it.  Just be sure the plug is in snug so the 'O' ring is compressed..  But not so tight it becomes a permanent installation.  Mine comes out every time I load onto the trailer.  I don't moor the boat for more than 3 or 4 days at a time.

If you don't have an 'O' ring on your plug, you may wish to try one.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

There's a "O" ring seal on a pipe thread?   Are you sure?  I've never seen that.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Peddler

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 15, 2018, 09:16:16 AM
   There's a "O" ring seal on a pipe thread?   Are you sure?  I've never seen that.

Yat

I've never seen one on the brass plugs.  Sometimes on plastic plugs though.  The brass garboard plugs require no teflon tape, and no o-ring to function properly. 
Wishin' I was Fishin'

StreamFixer

I really don't have an answer to that Yat.  I have a plastic plug and it has an O ring.  If I can still see the O ring with the plug in, I will slowly leak water into the bilge...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

I take in so much water from grabbing a Sardine out of the bait tank or water splashing out of the tank, or washing the blood off the deck, that a little water leaking from my plug is not a concern.

I guess if my boat was moored, I would look for small leaks... :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

True, probably more of an issue with boats that are moored for more than a few days

Yachter Yat

Arima's plastic transom drains are not pipe threads.  I've never gauged the exact size.  Looks something like 3/4 or 7/8 fine thread, which is a straight thread that relies on the "O" ring for sealing.  I don't have one in my hands, but those (currently used) metal drains appear to be pipe thread.  That would be a tapered thread.  The "jamming" of that thread creates the seal.  I suppose you could use a little pipe tape on them, but if you opened and closed it quite frequently, you'd probably have keep "refreshing" that tape. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Yat is right on, plastic straight thread with o-ring, it is the type I use.  The need for sealers over overtightening on any form of plug is from paranoia - which we all can have in this type of plug :wink:

GHMariner

My Arima has the plastic plug with the rubber O ring. My Chaparral has a bronze drain plug. I don't use anything on it other than a crescent wrench. The boat stays in the water all summer with a Sunbrella mooring cover and doesn't take on any water. The bilge is literally bone dry. I can see where Teflon tape might make it easier to remove, though.

crosscurrents

Just use a little Vaseline.
Like a hammer it has all sorts of uses

croaker stroker

I don't seal my plug, but I use this on threads I want to seal, protect from corrosion, and be able to remove. (Like seat pedestal bolts)

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

What do you guys use to seal your brass drain plug threads?

SF, and some others apparently, have old eyes

Bigger Arimas have brass drain plugs

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait