News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea Dek

Started by StreamFixer, January 14, 2018, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

A couple of warm(ish) days of late so I started installing the Sea Dek acquired during the last 'Black Friday' 50% sale.  I cut the material in early Dec. and have been waiting for a 60 degree+ day.  That was yesterday and today.  Got a good start.  Still need to modify a couple of gunnel pieces and will await another 60+ day to install the two big pieces on each side of the fish box.  That will take a helper, at least for me.

Boat is a mess, as you can see.  Sweep the surface crap aside, clean the area of application with acetone and put the material down.  I removed the hatches and did that work on a table.  I think that was much easier than hunkering down on my knees to do that work.

Scoring the backing paper really helps on larger pieces.  However, I found the recommended 'tape one edge' application method really does not work so well.  It does not allow for the thickness of the material and you cannot see where the edge is when you start to stick it down...  It moves when you tape it down, then have to roll it back to get at the backing paper. 

I find bending/folding about 2" of a long edge of the backing paper back allows you to get the material properly positioned.  The folded backing keeps the edge of the foam material up enough to allow postioning.  Then press the edge to anchor it, then peel the remainder of the backing while progressively pressing the material into place, care to avoid bubbles, working toward the center cut, then far edge.

Here's a picture of the messy boat and how far I have progressed to date.  I'll get the shop vac into use before attempting the larger pieces...

You can really feel the difference between the Sea Dek and fiberglass deck.  And your foot does not move like it does on the fiberglass deck...  Should be a lot safer when fishing the ocean.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Fixer:  From the way you describe it, seems similar to putting-down ice and water shield on a roof.  Yes...........a BIG PITA.  I still have nightmares.  :doh:  Another set of hands would, no doubt, make things a lot easier.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Yat:

Actually pretty easy once you figure it out.  Probably a couple hours in the install to date, and a lot of that was fixing the pop-riveter to tighten up the hinge for the fish box covers...   :whistle:

So far the Install easier than the cut-out process...  You know how that goes,  No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short syndrome...   :facepalm:

Plenty of spare so cutting a couple of pieces for the gunnel to accommodate pipe jigging methods will not be a problem.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fisherdv

I recently noticed just how slippery the deck can be after the morning dew.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Fixer:  After seeing those pop rivets on your hatches, I had to go out and look at mine.  I don't get it.  There's nothing under the area where those rivets would go on mine.  Did you add some other kind of hinge, or have to add some reinforcement of some kind? 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

rasslingref

Looking good Russ....we are still waiting for that first 50 degree day.  Hoping we get some warmer temperatures before Halibut season to install ours.  Thanks for sharing your lessons.

David
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

StreamFixer

Yat

I put a washer over the rivet before 'popping' it.  Just have to be sure the washer 'just barely' slides over the rivet.

Rassling --  remember the pieces are different (mirror image) between Starboiard and Port sides...  I caught our before we cut...   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Danno

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 14, 2018, 05:23:10 PM
   Fixer:  After seeing those pop rivets on your hatches, I had to go out and look at mine.  I don't get it.  There's nothing under the area where those rivets would go on mine.  Did you add some other kind of hinge, or have to add some reinforcement of some kind? 

Yat

Yat, SF may have left out some important details. I believe he added aluminum angle 'iron' under the hinge to increase the flex strength of the lid when walking on it.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

Danno, thanks.  Yeah, I thought there may have been something else added underneath.   I haven't noticed any problems with mine, but I'm assuming there must have been something about flexing in that area that caused problems with the hinge.

Just thinking;  If that was to prove to be a potential problem, I think removing the rivets holding the hinge and adding narrow reinforcing pieces "in line" with the existing hinges could be an option. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Good memory Danno...  Yes, I also installed (years ago) a piece of angled aluminum just behind the hinge (but not as part of the hinge fastening system)  I used a fender washer on each end and upholstery washers for the middle 3 bolts holding the angle in place.  All stainless and nylon nuts.  Nobody has tripped on any of the bolt heads (countersunk form with phillips).

Pop rivets hold the piano hinge between the two hatch pieces.  Over time (20 years on my boat) the pop rivets are coming loose so I am replacing as noted in my first response to Yat's question.

WOW,  have to replace the aluminum pop rivets after only 20 years on a hatch hinge.  They just don't build them like they used to   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

Finished installing my SeaDek today.  (67+ degrees, boat hull reached 60+)

A couple more words of caution.  The tread pattern areas on the left and right sides of the deck are likely not the same.  My right side fit quite well, while the left (copy of the right side measurements) was between 3/4 and 1"+ off.  It didn't matter how many times I cut it, the left side was still too short/narrow   :facepalm:  However, that gave me the opportunity to install my 36" fish measuring piece.  Snout against the rear panel and good to go...  The measure crosses fish hatch seam so I just cut the Sea Dek with a razor once it was in place.  By following the side of the deck/hatch seam, it cut out about 1/4 inch gap.

Looking aft.  Note the 'wrap' on the gunnel near the davit support.  When fishing a pipe jig, arms tire after a while and the fisher tends to use the gunnel as a pivot point for jigging.  The wrap should help reduce wear and marking on gunnel and rod.  I did the same thing on the other gunnel.

Looking forward.  You cannot see it in the picture, but the gunnel 'wrap' is there for jigging from the companion seat.  We also installed some SeaDek on the step (both sides).  People have slipped on that step more than once getting into the cockpit or out of the boat.  Fortunately the skip tower was built hell for stout and provided needed support to prevent injury..  Hopefully this will help prevent that occurring again.

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

HemiGTX

Very nice install, SF.  I bet that Seadek will go a long way towards protecting you and your passengers from slips, and protect the deck from crab pots.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

rasslingref

Nice Work SF.  How is the clearance for the back storage covers?  When you pull them out do they slide across the SeaDek? 

David
Kitsap County, WA

StreamFixer

David

I'll check, however, only being 5 mm thick I doubt they will interfere...  But you never know.  I'll check tomorrow..

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

tc808

nice work SF, I like the pattern you chose.

croaker stroker

They have to lift 1/2" to get up over the aluminum channel. I bet you are fine.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

Russ that looks good.   I am hoping to start installing my SeaDek soon.  Thanks for your insights.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

rasslingref

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on January 29, 2018, 08:42:20 AM
Russ that looks good.   I am hoping to start installing my SeaDek soon.  Thanks for your insights.
Bruce:
If your garage is warm enough to do yours, I'll bring my boat down and you can do mine as well.  HEHE.  I'm still looking locally for a heated area to install mine.

David
Kitsap County, WA

Diablo

Nice job Russ, that looks really good.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

BruceL2_Fish

David, I need to fill up my 250 gallon propane tank before I can do mine, I am almost out of gas.   I have been in the shop so much this winter I went through an entire tank!
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

DevMah

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Markshoreline

That would be great addition to my boat- there are some spots where the texture is wearing flat and those get kinda slippery.  Nice work, Russ!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BestBoats

Wait until you take it out on the water. You will be amazed at how much boat vibration and noise it kills!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

DevMah

Just wondering if anyone did the templates and sent them in for SeaDek to cut.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fisherdv

Looks great SF! If I'm not wearing the right boots my deck is very slippery.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60