Author Topic: Having a debate with a friend  (Read 400 times)

Online Dhil12

Having a debate with a friend
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:22 AM »
I'm having a debate with a friend as to where to clip the release to the downrigger . I say to the downrigger line and he says to the ball. I like the line so the ball stays just underwater when it comes up. He wants to try clipping the release to the ball for being on the bottom when we bounce balls for chinook. where do you guys clip your release clips?

Thanks Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Online Omega3

Re: Having a debate with a friend
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
I have done both.I use a snubber between the ball and the downrigger line.Most of the time I attach clip to the top ring on the snubber.I would like to think the ball taps the bottom before my flasher is dragging bottom.When trolling shallower in the summer I go off off the ball.Weeds and kelp catch on the ball before fouling my flasher.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Offline straiteagle

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
I clip to the downrigger line so that any small shaker that normally would not pull the fishing line out of the clip could be seen as a change in rod tip action.  Clipping to the downrigger ball is done by many people, and recommended by some downrigger manufacturers, it will provide a better hook set for big fish, especially tough mouthed summer kings.  If you attach to the ball, you need a long clip line retriever stick and possibly longer clip line as the ball will still be below the surface.
Attaching to the ball for blackmouth, where you will often bounce the bottom, in my opinion will have greater risk of losing your rig as the flasher will continually hit bottom as it rotates.  I hit the bottom enough when I have my fishing line attached to the DR line and bounce the bottom (once in a while) with the ball.  That is where you want to be, just above the bottom with your flasher and lure.

Online Mooch

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »
Some say tomayto, some tomaato.  I personally prefer to run off the dr line for reasons already stated and because it allows me to clip an additional inline fish flash off the ball.  If you intend to bounce bottom for blackmouth,  i would definately NOT clip off the ball.

Altho not necessary, snubbers are a nice add-on as mentioned above.  Much nicer to grab than dr line.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:40:05 AM by Mooch »
2006 Sea Ranger Skip 21, Honda 150, Honda 9.9

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »
This is a great Debate for sure. I switch back and forth from clipping on the top of my pipe weights to top of the snubber to way up the line. I also switch depending on the fishery from 24 inch 48 inch release clip lines. This is why, black mouth fishing I want to know my gear is dam close to the bottom when my pipe weight is dragging or close so the clip is clipped to the the top of the pipe weight while using a shorter 24 inch release clip line. I also was fishing a westside lake last week with a max depth of 25 ft for Kokanee. I could see the fish very close to the bottom but could not get hit for the first hour I bring up my gear to check and realize my downrigger weight was at the bottom but I had clipped the release to the top of the snubber and I was using my 48 inch release clip lines this setup had my weight at the bottom but my gear probably 3-4 ft up at least. I switched to 24 inch release clip lines and clipped right to the top of the weight and for the next few hours we had 2 Kokanee to the boat and 15-20 trout. It was a game changer making these adjustments. If I am zone trolling for elevated fish in the Water column I always clip to the top of the snubber and use a 48 inch release clip line. As for clipping my release clip up the line. I’ve only seen this with my own eyes make a different 2-3 times and it was at Rufus woods and lake Roosevelt when the fish are in the top 25 ft of the water column. If I’m not getting bit like I think I should then I first lower my downrigger weight 10-25 ft then clip my release clip to the line. My goal is if th fish are at 5-10 ft down and I set the weight 20 ft down I won’t be spooking them. My auto stop is set so it always leaves the weight 2-3 ft in the water no matter where I clip. I adjust with the manual button after. I then use the Scotty weight retriever and pull the weight to the boat putting my release clip line right  against the gunnel. It’s kind of hard to explain but on the Scotty 1106 between the manual lift button and the weight retriever I never pull the weight out of the water even before I switched from round downrigger weights. All this is probably a lot easier on a seahunter vs a lot bigger Arima. One more thing if there is anybody out there that doesn’t use Scotty weight retrievers I highly recommend them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:54:11 AM by Dbobby23 »
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Offline dbhazjack

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
I have switched to using Tuna cord between my downrigger braided line and the weight. Attached with an Albright knot which acts as the stopper for the Scotty on the top end, and then a San Diego Jam knot to the clip for the lead ball. The length of the cord stops the DR ball just below the surface of the water when trolling. I also use Tuna cord for my releases.

The benefit is I can set the release anywhere along the Tuna cord, it’s super easy to handle with wet cold hands, and seems a little more forgiving on mono when a fish is able to run around it when netting. Also, this setup simplifies several things, ie it eliminates a couple clips, expensive snubbers, and those stupid little stoppers that catch lines and pick up weeds. Also cheaper and easy to setup everything on the water if necessary!  :doh:

:twocents:
2012 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker.

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
I have switched to using Tuna cord between my downrigger braided line and the weight. Attached with an Albright knot which acts as the stopper for the Scotty on the top end, and then a San Diego Jam knot to the clip for the lead ball. The length of the cord stops the DR ball just below the surface of the water when trolling. I also use Tuna cord for my releases.

The benefit is I can set the release anywhere along the Tuna cord, it’s super easy to handle with wet cold hands, and seems a little more forgiving on mono when a fish is able to run around it when netting. Also, this setup simplifies several things, ie it eliminates a couple clips, expensive snubbers, and those stupid little stoppers that catch lines and pick up weeds. Also cheaper and easy to setup everything on the water if necessary!  :doh:

Can you elaborate the tuna cord for the releases. I’m not understanding how they would be adjustable. I have tuna cord and want to try this.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Offline dbhazjack

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »

Can you elaborate the tuna cord for the releases. I’m not understanding how they would be adjustable. I have tuna cord and want to try this.

Sure.

So here is the release on the DR Tuna cord. The Tuna cord holds the release clip so put anywhere below the knot, or in my case the Scotty weight retriever.

And here is the top knot. I first tied a loop in the braid just to make it stronger.

Here is the bottom knot connected to a swivel.

Then you can tie the release cord any length you want. This is the release end.

None of this invented by me. Lots of others doing this. Hope this makes sense. Probably better explanations and diagrams out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Dhil12

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
Thank you for the detailed information and the pictures. I think I will do that when I replace my downrigger line next month. I bought my Scotty's at Jacobsens. They were the same price as anyone else plus they mounted and wired them for me. The young man who outfitted our boat is a fisherman and he did one with stainless cable and one with braid, so I could get a feel for each. I do prefer the braid.The one with braid he put 5 or 6 feet of tuna line on also. So the one with braid and tuna line on the bottom there would be no need to use a snubber? I really like the idea of the albright knot to double as the stop.

Thanks, Darrell
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline dbhazjack

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
Darrell, as I understand, the snubber helps when in rough water conditions rocking back and forth with the DR weights near the surface. I have my weights about 18” under the surface when the weights are retrieved and have had zero issues. Also I prefer the braid for, among other things, the ease of repair when out fishing. Stuff happens!

I just wish they would let us fish!!!!!!

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »
Yes thank you for the detailed post. I also run braid and love everything about it. I’m going to tie up a couple tuna cord release clip lines tonight and try them out this week. After buying the crimper tool, crimps and 150lb Mono and making release clip lines I can definitely see that tuna cord is way cheaper and easier. Now I wonder if there is a way to make the length adgustable on the release clip line.  Thanks again
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Offline birdman

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
It took me several reads to figure out what the debate is.... It never dawned on me that there was even an option other than the clip attaching to the downrigger line...
Terry; 17' Sea Ranger (1985); 90 HP Yamaha (2012)

Online Dhil12

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
Darrell, as I understand, the snubber helps when in rough water conditions rocking back and forth with the DR weights near the surface. I have my weights about 18” under the surface when the weights are retrieved and have had zero issues. Also I prefer the braid for, among other things, the ease of repair when out fishing. Stuff happens!

I just wish they would let us fish!!!!!!

Thanks again. I thought the snubber was used as a shock cord when bounceing balls off the bottom to help reduce the shock on the cable. I may replace my line earlier than next month and make them up like yours. I do make my own release lines/ clips. I am currently using 130 lb mono crimped and make them 6 feet long so they can flip over the gunwhale with the ball just under the surface. I dont use the scotty weight retriever. I just pull the cable in with the boat hook. Thanks again

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Nineball

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
Great thread, i wanted to move to braid this year and this info is just the ticket :applause:
I also use the tuna cord to wrap Mustad gaff hooks onto bamboo handles. Thanks for the valuable info.  Any recommendations on where to order good braid and save a bit??
SC17, 75etec, T9.9

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
DB only problem I've had rigging like that is when pulling the rod up to release the line from the release clip is the halibut clip will slide up the braid and not release the line.  I use a snap to connect the release clip line to a large swivel.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline dbhazjack

Having a debate with a friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
DB only problem I've had rigging like that is when pulling the rod up to release the line from the release clip is the halibut clip will slide up the braid and not release the line.  I use a snap to connect the release clip line to a large swivel.

Yes, that is a problem if you attach the release to the “braid” but that has not been a problem for me attaching it to the “Tuna” cord.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:17:57 PM by dbhazjack »

Online Dhil12

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
Great thread, i wanted to move to braid this year and this info is just the ticket :applause:
I also use the tuna cord to wrap Mustad gaff hooks onto bamboo handles. Thanks for the valuable info.  Any recommendations on where to order good braid and save a bit??

I dont know where you are located but Johns Sporting Goods in Everett sells 300 ft of Cortland 200lb braid for $23.50.
https://johnssportinggoods.com/product/downriggers/cortland-master-braid-200lb-300ft/

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker