News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sudden Decision....

Started by Salmon King, January 12, 2018, 05:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Well maybe not all that sudden as I knew it was going to happen at some point this year (just didn't want it to happen in January).

Things were pretty rough at work lately and I was having a very stressful time of it.  For the last several months I'd been brining that stress home with me...that's bad.
Major changes involving government contracts and such.

As shift supervisor it was my job to keep things running smoothly.  On 3 consecutive occasions I had issues with one of my guys from outright refusing to do his job to sandbagging and making it tougher on his coworkers.  My efforts to solve the problem proved fruitless so I took it to my managers.  Each time all I got was lip service.
Terry don't play that game.
I'm n the 4th time in 2days I said that's it....I QUIT,
Handed in my security card and walked out.

So now...IM OFFICIALLY RETIRED!!!
Couldn't be happier.  Already I feel calm and totally relaxed....ready to face whatever comes next (I promise you it will not involve a job)!

Next for me will be a total revamp of the shop, and a LOT of fishing!!
I'll also finish that motorcycle project and get that sold.
Find my new (at least to me) Boat
And generally just goof off a bunch.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

La-Z-Buoy

Too bad you have to leave your career on a negative note. But you will love not having the stress. I too got fed up with 28 years of work issues and gave in my retire date. That and my military time added up to I was taking home approximately what I would be getting in retirement so I said " Why am I doing this????"

Good luck and enjoy your time. Don't know your situation but if you have a significant other understand that home full time will have a LARGE effect on your relationship. Woo Hoo    :dance: 
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

tsuribaka

Reaching "KMA" status is one step towards freedom; actually exercising the option gets you all the way there! :applause:

Congratulations and best of luck in retirement and I look forward to the day hopefully not too many years down the road I can join you.  :beerchug:

Salmon King

Quote from: tsuribaka on January 12, 2018, 06:18:53 PM
Reaching "KMA" status is one step towards freedom; actually exercising the option gets you all the way there! :applause:

Congratulations and best of luck in retirement and I look forward to the day hopefully not too many years down the road I can join you.  :beerchug:

It took me a full 5 min. to figure out the "KMA" part 😁
Like e song says..."the older I get, the slower I go" and that applies to my thing too!😉

Thanks to both of you.
Between work and Social security the difference is only $700 a month.
The decision really was a no-brained for me!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on January 12, 2018, 06:14:31 PM
...have a significant other understand that home full time will have a LARGE effect on your relationship. Woo Hoo    :dance:

Look out Terry...  When she finds out what it is like having you underfoot ALL the time    :nono:

Congratulation on finally making the move...  Now if they will only open the Sturgeon keeper season....

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

dbhazjack

Like she says, "twice the husband for half the pay!"  That's a good thing, right? Congrats [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Salmon King

I have a feeling it will be rougher on her than me.

She's pretty set in her ways and likes to do things a certain way.
Right now I'm being extra careful not to interrupt her morning routine.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Diablo

Congrats. I think retirement will work well for you because you always have many projects and hobbies. Some people don't know what to do when they retire. :party:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Old Chaser

Get ready for all the honey dues-congrates and see ya at the boat ramp--

Markshoreline

Terry I've been retired for 7 years and love it.  I was worried that I'd be bored but I find lots to keep busy with and of course there are the honey do's!  Congratulations and welcome to retirement!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Peddler

"Take this job and shove it!" 

I'd have to win a big-money lotto, if I'm ever to have a chance to say it, myself.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

BruceL2_Fish

Terry, congrats on your retirement.   I am looking forward to doing the same this year.   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Yachter Yat

Salmon:  Congratulations on retiring; good for you.  This is your time, so enjoy.  BTW, being a "water rat" like the rest of us, I know you'll have to spend some of that time finding that perfect little boat.  Don't wait too long.  :wink:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

FWilliams

congrats. cant wait to get there myself
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

beancounter

Hope your retirement is fulfilling and your wife doesn't fire you. :biggrin:

GregE

Quote from: beancounter on January 14, 2018, 06:46:50 PM

Good one Bean...   :biggrin:

Find something to stay out from under foot Terry
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Salmon King

Quote from: beancounter on January 14, 2018, 06:46:50 PM

She encouraged it...
I'm more than a little suspicious about that fact..
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Yachter Yat

:jester:  She must have "plans".  Better dust-off that tool belt. :jester:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Nah!!  No ulterior motive I am sure.  She just enjoys having him underfoot around the house    :whistle:

Terry, please keep us up to date on what suddenly goes on the Honey Dues list(s)   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Salmon King

Actually she hit me up with a MAJOR project this morning.

Seems a guy in our neighborhood has his motor coach fs.
It's a 30' diesel pusher (no slides) with less than 50k miles. (Cummins motor and Allison tranny).
But...it had a roof leak and now the inside is a mess of rotting wood and black mold.
The entire inside needs to be gutted and redone.
The guy has it fs and she thinks it would make a great long term project for me.

I'll go look for myself tomorrow...
Hell I haven't even completed my motorcycle project yet!!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Sparhawk

Quote from: Salmon King on January 12, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
Well maybe not all that sudden as I knew it was going to happen at some point this year (just didn't want it to happen in January).

Things were pretty rough at work lately and I was having a very stressful time of it.  For the last several months I'd been brining that stress home with me...that's bad.
Major changes involving government contracts and such.

As shift supervisor it was my job to keep things running smoothly.  On 3 consecutive occasions I had issues with one of my guys from outright refusing to do his job to sandbagging and making it tougher on his coworkers.  My efforts to solve the problem proved fruitless so I took it to my managers.  Each time all I got was lip service.
Terry don't play that game.
I'm n the 4th time in 2days I said that's it....I QUIT,
Handed in my security card and walked out.

So now...IM OFFICIALLY RETIRED!!!
Couldn't be happier.  Already I feel calm and totally relaxed....ready to face whatever comes next (I promise you it will not involve a job)!

Next for me will be a total revamp of the shop, and a LOT of fishing!!
I'll also finish that motorcycle project and get that sold.
Find my new (at least to me) Boat
And generally just goof off a bunch.
Congratulations! I am starting to think about retirement. I am 62, 63 on November 30 of this year, and almost 32 years with the same employer. Lucky for me, my wife wants to go back to work full time after the 24 year break she took to raise our 3 kids.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Diablo

Quote from: Salmon King on January 15, 2018, 07:40:24 PM
Actually she hit me up with a MAJOR project this morning.

Seems a guy in our neighborhood has his motor coach fs.
It's a 30' diesel pusher (no slides) with less than 50k miles. (Cummins motor and Allison tranny).
But...it had a roof leak and now the inside is a mess of rotting wood and black mold.
The entire inside needs to be gutted and redone.
The guy has it fs and she thinks it would make a great long term project for me.

I'll go look for myself tomorrow...
Hell I haven't even completed my motorcycle project yet!!

Your going to wonder how you ever had time for a job.  :beerchug:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Rokefin

Hats off to all you retirees....I'm working on it.

Lucky for you indeed Sparhawk, I'm trying to talk the bride back into working so I can call it quits in 2 years, but she only wants part time work....we will need medical benefits so part time doesn't work for me.

jamaica

You'll forget what day of the week it is too! The only real reason to know anyway is to try not to get on the road or go shopping on the weekend.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

StreamFixer

Don't forget fishing Jamaica ---  Avoid fishing on the week-end when weather allows...  Sometimes weather will trap you into having to fish a week-end...  Otherwise   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade