News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Salt away after every trip in saltwater?

Started by Fisherdv, January 12, 2018, 02:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Should salt away be used after EVERY trip in salt, or will using it every few trips be ok? I have some in my truck and haven't used it yet as I'm just starting the salty trips this season. Last time out I just used water as there was a good line waiting for the wash down. If there was salt left over from just a water flush/rinse last time will the salt away still be affective at removing any previous salt build up that may remain? I've never used it in my previous boats but I guess I'm trying to be more frugal with the new boat
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

J Chaser

I use it every time when I get home. I mostly fish salt water.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

BruceL2_Fish

I use it every time to both flush the motors and rinse the boat and trailer before putting the boat away.   I also, carry a 1 gallon sprayer and spray my disc brakes after launching.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

croaker stroker

I use it once every 5 or 6 times out. Otherwise, I rinse with fresh water.

Works great to rinse off the whole boat and trailer.  I also keep a squirt bottle for treating the motor block wires etc. let it sit, then rinse with fresh.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

After only ONE trip in salt this season I noticed my prop nut was green even after flushing with freshwater

AJFishin

I use it religiously after every trip out because sometimes I don't know when I'll be heading out next time and I don't want the salt to sit in my engine. Water is ok, but IMO I make sure I always have Salt Away with me, works great on everything.

I'm don't want to take a chance and use only water to hopefully clean out the engine. Salt build up gets everywhere, even in places you think it won't get into. If you used to surf, it's like sand, it gets everywhere   :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Salt away is $$$. Would add up quick if used every time. But, then again motor repairs are $$$ also. Then there's always the impatient person behind you staring at you cause your taking so long at the wash down  :hoboy: I like to rinse Everything very thoroughly

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 12, 2018, 04:02:11 PM
I use it religiously after every trip out because sometimes I don't know when I'll be heading out next time and I don't want the salt to sit in my engine. Water is ok, but IMO I make sure I always have Salt Away with me, works great on everything.

I'm don't want to take a chance and use only water to hopefully clean out the engine. Salt build up gets everywhere, even in places you think it won't get into. If you used to surf, it's like sand, it gets everywhere   :jester:

AJ, I know what you mean about the sand, and I don't surf   :wink: :whistle:

Threeweight

I use it, or Salt Terminator, after every trip.  Both on engines and the rods/reels.  Buy it by the gallon, it's cheaper.

I looked up the MSDS on both a few years ago to see what was in them.  Both products are actually very mild acids, that help break down salt and mineral deposits left behind after saltwater evaporates.  Freshwater does a great job of removing salt, but not so great at removing calcium carbonate and other hard mineral scale.  The two products are essentially the same thing used to clean the plumbing of steam turbines in power plants and other industrial applications where mineral build up is bad, but harsh chemicals are also bad.

I put 300 hours on the big Honda last year, and used maybe a gallon of the stuff @$30 bucks a gallon.  You can buy handy hose dispensers that make it no more time consuming to flush with it than with straight freshwater.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

The dispenser that comes in the kit makes it difficult for me to screw into my flush-out on the Etec.  I have to attach it to the hose, twist the hose counter clockwise, then insert it on the fitting and screw it clockwise.

I think I need like a 1 foot garden hose, or a different type of dispenser.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 12, 2018, 05:13:43 PM

The dispenser that comes in the kit makes it difficult for me to screw into my flush-out on the Etec.  I have to attach it to the hose, twist the hose counter clockwise, then insert it on the fitting and screw it clockwise.

I think I need like a 1 foot garden hose, or a different type of dispenser.  :shrug9:
Are you using muffs or the flush port on the motor?

StreamFixer

Hey Croaker...  Home Depot (or any garden store) will sell you new hose ends...  The apply the knife to a hose (making length you want) put on new hose ends...  You will likely not miss the length on the garden hose and your rinse connection solved   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Fisherdv

I also have the salt away kit and never used it before. I will try it after Fishing tomorrow. I guess I'll just follow the directions on the container unless you guys could advise me otherwise  :shrug9:

Diablo

I'll use SaltAway if the boat is going to sit for more than a few days. Which is most of the time. If you have to deal with corrosion from not flushing you'll be more diligent amount doing it.
Here are a couple fo photos of my set up. I made a dedicated hose with the muffs and a block of wood to keep the flushing device upright. I can set the block on the back of the boat and switch from just water to SaltAway. Works foe me.

'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Dbobby23

For me I only use saltaway if my boat is going to sit longer than 2-3 days. If I'm fishing Monday and tuesday I don't even rinse out the motor on Monday after I get home. For people using there boat in salt once every 2 weeks or once a month absolutely use saltaway every time after use. When fish are in I go weeks at a time without using saltaway bacause I am fishing 3-5 days a week. My thoughts are if you circulate water  frequently the crystals won't form. They only form if salt is left in there for a longer deration. My boat prior to the Arima I owned from new and put a ton of hours on and was Given a perfect bill of health from the boat mechanic hired by the buyer.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Fisherdv

Great advice. Unless I'm on vacation or have some days off I would use the boat every weekend max, or usually twice a month. So your advice to use it if the boat will sit more than a few days is well taken. As I said earlier, my brass prop nut (I think it's brass) and my drain plug assembly even after a fresh water rinse has that green layer on it already. So let's say I miss a week or two of salt away. Is it still effective at removing any salt/mineral build up that may have been left behind?  And 3WT, great idea to look up the MSDS on these products

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 12, 2018, 05:16:01 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 12, 2018, 05:13:43 PM

Are you using muffs or the flush port on the motor?

I am using the flush port.... You guys have given me some good ideas. I'll scratch around the garage tomorrow. I think I have the makings for a short hose. And Diablo's Idea...I don't have a block, but I can make a box.

Hope my wife doesn't notice I've cut her hose.  :shark:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

I use it every time.
I don't get the salt away brand .
West Marine makes there house brand one and I use that .
When it's on sale it's like 20 bucks a gallon.
I also mix it in with my boat wash and water bucket when washing the boat .
You can see just a few cap fills makes a big difference .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Fisherdv

Is there any negative effects on using this every time? Like eating seals or gaskets? I don't see why, but thought I'd ask

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Diablo

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 12, 2018, 09:36:14 PM
So let's say I miss a week or two of salt away. Is it still effective at removing any salt/mineral build up that may have been left behind?

It's better to stay ahead of the corrosion. SaltAway won't clear out corrosion it will flush out salt deposits and leave a protective coating, at least that is what they say. There are some very small ports for cooling water and they are easly clogged. Once those ports are even partially clogged the flow of cooling and flushing water is reduced.
Make a set up so it's easy to flush the motors and you will be more inclined to do it. You can also use a vinegar solution flush.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

AJFishin

With mine I put the muffs directly on the "salt away" device, and attach it to my outboard. Works great for me and I let the engine idle for about 5 minutes.
But I do have a Y connection that I screw on to the faucet and I use 2 hoses.  One hose is for my outboard, the other hose is so I can start doing my wash down while my engine is running.

My personal experience.
A year and half ago I did not use salt away because I ran out of it. I did 3 trips out in 2 weeks, I just used water for a 10 minute flush out the system.
After the 3rd trip I didn't flush the engine till after 2 days of it sitting. After flushing the engine, I decided to inspect and clean up the engine. When I took off my thermostat, I noticed a good amount of salt build up inside and on the thermostat. After seeing that I replaced the thermostat and I decided not to just rely on water to flush my engine or let it sit after using the boat in the ocean. Since then I've checked my thermostat a few times and there's been very little build up of salt.
I will add that I have a 2 stroke and maybe things might be different :shrug9:
Just my  :twocents:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

I might add:  Rinse water temperature makes a huge difference.  I always use a salt terminator, but (and I think more importantly) I rinse with warm-to-hot water.  If you don't believe this works, do this test:  Rinse one side of your salted hull with cold water, then rinse the other side with hot.  AMAZING is the only word to describe it. 

No charge,  Yat  :biggrin:
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

When I do the occasional Salt-Away treatment. (Attaching to the flush port)  I am reversing the flow of the water. (Backflush). I think this is an important detail that some may miss.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

No negative effects from using it.  It's very mild stuff, not going to hurt rubber.  I think the point made above that it is a preventative, not a treatment after you already have cooling issues, is a good one.

The protective coating it creates is a very thin coating of aluminum oxide on the aluminum parts in the engine.  It's tough and chemically non-reactive.  I can see it's effects if I spray my Hewes' hull down with the stuff, let it sit a few minutes, then rinse... the coated areas will turn a dull, battleship gray vs. the lighter gray of the older oxide coat on the rest of the boat.  After a few days it all evens out.

Vinegar does work in a similar fashion, but is harder to use.  My Honda 225 will "cook" a coat of white calcium buildup onto the outside of the exhaust on the leg of the motor after a few trips.  Soap, scrubbing, waxing, etc... won't get it off.  Spray it with regular old vinegar, let it set for 3-4 minutes, then scrub with a rag and it comes right off.  A buddy treated his twin Honda 90's cooling passages every few years by buying a couple of cases of cheap vinegar at Costco, then running his motors in garbage cans in a vinegar+water solution several times over the course of a day.  When he was finished he'd have a nice coat of white goo at the bottom of the cans.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson