News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2000 Sea Chaser

Started by Chaser2000, November 11, 2017, 02:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

We put a 115 Yammy on our SC 19 a few years ago and we're very happy with it.
T2
Fish worship---is it wrong?

amazing grace

E-tec all the way :smile1:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Eivin

At the risk of not agreeing with the group here, I have a 19HT Ranger with the 115 yammy and feels it is minimum at times! When I have a couple guys, lots of gear and a 9.9 kicker, dual batteries and a full gas tank, it takes a bit to get on plane. Ive tried two SS propellers and although one performs better than the other, the boat still feels sluggish when loaded.

When im fishing on my own, even with gear, it does perform very well, is very smooth and economical to operate. The yammy 115 only has 300hrs on it so a new engine is not gonna happen anytime soon. I have a friend with a 19'SC with a 150 yammy (two stroke) and his boat flies! The trim tabs would help (if I used them) but I still dream of all the power 150 ponies would feel like out of the hole!

Fisherdv

Quote from: Eivin on January 09, 2018, 02:39:18 PM
At the risk of not agreeing with the group here, I have a 19HT Ranger with the 115 yammy and feels it is minimum at times! When I have a couple guys, lots of gear and a 9.9 kicker, dual batteries and a full gas tank, it takes a bit to get on plane. Ive tried two SS propellers and although one performs better than the other, the boat still feels sluggish when loaded.

When im fishing on my own, even with gear, it does perform very well, is very smooth and economical to operate. The yammy 115 only has 300hrs on it so a new engine is not gonna happen anytime soon. I have a friend with a 19'SC with a 150 yammy (two stroke) and his boat flies! The trim tabs would help (if I used them) but I still dream of all the power 150 ponies would feel like out of the hole!
Have you tried dropping a few inches off of the pitch of the prop  :twocents: :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

I'm with ya Eivin, I'm with the thought group that likes being equipped with max horse power. At times I think my 17 SC is under powered with the Yamy 115 4 stroke, although I have a new 4 blade prop on it with only 30 minutes time on it so I will soon see if I feel like I'm lacking grunt power.  I acknowledge these boats aren't built for speed and for my ocean only use speed is not usually a factor,  but when I want to go I WANT TO GO!

Threeweight

Not to be snarky, but I always get a kick out of these threads. 

Maxing out the power on an Arima in hopes of seeing a substantial performance gain is like trying to cram a big block v8 into a Corolla.  It's still not going anywhere very fast. 

If you've got the $$ go for it, but if you are feeling a need for more speed than a 115 can give a 19' Arima, you are probably better off investing in a different style hull.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

To expound on what Threeweight says:   Performance is most likely dictated by the aspect ratio of these Arimas than anything else. These are short, fat boats, so they act accordingly.   I believe what these hulls take away in top speed they more than make up for in stability. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Eivin on January 09, 2018, 02:39:18 PM

I've got a 2003 21' Skip Top with only a Honda 130hp four stroke on it, or 15hp more than the 115hp engine on your 19'.  Mine tops out around 35mph and gets up on a plane pretty quick, even with a good deal of weight and people in the boat.  I agree on the prop size, pitch and number of fins as it will change your RPM, planing time and overall speed at WOT depending on which prop you use.  I was surprised to see that a 90hp engine is what Arima recommends for their 19' boats but considering... a 115hp motor should be more than adequate/fast enough for you.  Oddly enough they even recommend only a 115hp on the 21' SR HT.  Per the Arima boats website it says the 19' SR HT is 1725lbs vs the 21' SR HT and Skip Top are 2150lbs, although I'm guessing that's a typo as I'd have to think a HT would be at least a couple hundred pounds heavier than a Skip Top.  Anyway, I did a couple horsepower to weight ratios below and while I do agree that a 90hp motor on a 19' SR HT would be considerably small, same with a 115hp motor on a 21' SR HT, the 115hp engine on a 19' SR HT has about the same horsepower to weight ratio as a 21' SR HT with a 150hp engine and would have to think that a 150hp engine on a 19' SR HT would just be way overkill.  Now obviously these figures aren't going to be exact as larger sized engines are going to be heavier than smaller ones, example would be a 90hp motor vs a 150hp motor, but I'm thinking they can't be too terribly far off.

19' SR HT
90hp/1725lbs  = .0521
115hp/1725lbs   = .0667
150hp/1725lbs   = .0869

21' SR HT
135hp/2150lbs   = .0627
150hp/2150lbs   = .0697
175hp/2150lbs   = .0813
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Markshoreline

Agree with 3Wt, if you're looking for top end speed you have the wrong boat.  If you want to get out of the hole with a load get trim tabs.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

I think it's more about aspect ratio than weight.  A 17 foot Arima is 8 feet wide..........so is a 21 Arima.  Guess which one is more likely to have the edge in terms of performance.  Think rowing hull.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Omega3

On flat water at WOT there isn't much of my hull in the water!Max HP all the way.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8