Author Topic: Oregon Coast  (Read 653 times)

Offline darci

• Jack
  • 1997 SC17 2017 90e-Tec King SW 2500
  • View Gallery
Oregon Coast
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
For you OR Members and well anyone who cares to comment, what Northern OR coast ports do you do you prefer ?
 Everywhere is a compromise.
Everywhere is a short (ish) drive from Portland.
 Most have good to very good Winter crabbing.
Some have non angling attractions for times when
 angling quality varies, so...

museums and fun stuff is important, too.

Maybe you would rank these by just your best, better and least fun ports.

Add other ports, but we would be traveling from Portland and pulling a boat is not real fun. So Depoe  to Astoria is about our range.

Astoria
Newport
Wheeler
Garibaldi
Depoe

These we have visited, with mixed feelings. We bottom fish, Salmon fish and crab.

Thanks, Bill and Sue

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
Re: Oregon Coast
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
Newport made the list because friends have a condo there.
The Pacific City visit was un-friendly...may give the area a second chance but first impression was a "pass". 
Sue likes a rocky shoreline for just relaxing.
We do an annual Salmon / Halibut slam to Wrangell AK most years so we fish mostly in and around Portland for fun.
But, we do get serious about the Dungies!

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
My wife and I like Florence. (Not North but...) Not to sure about the fishing, but lots of things to do. There’s fresh water lakes, salt water surf, harbor with restaurants and good seafood, sand dunes and fun rental buggy’s, beautiful campground.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:49:08 AM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
For a small boat, Newport is the best facility.  Nicest bar crossing, very very nice marina.  Lots of things to do in the area if the weather goes south.  My wife and I end up hiking in the national forest, or heading to Cape Perpetua, when we can't get out.  Downside is that while halibut and bottom fish can be very good, salmon is only fair, and Tuna! can be a long run (40-60 miles).  Crabbing can be great in the ocean, so-so in the bay.  Decent bay clamming.

Depoe is nice but a much much smaller facility, and the "bar" takes some getting used to.  Plus side is better salmon than Newport, great rock fish, and a shorter run to Tuna!, downside is crappy halibut options.

Tillamook Bar is super shallow, and can get nasty.  Port/marine facility is middling, and there isn't much to do in the area if you get windbound (sorry, one can only experience the wonder of the Tillamook Cheese Factory once).  It also has a well deserved reputation for meth heads breaking into boats and tow vehicles, and event attempting to take a cutting torch to the pay station at the boat ramp.  In Tillamook/Garibaldi's favor is halibut fishing is fair, salmon can be very good, bottom fish is very good, Tuna! is very good and usually not too long of a run.  Crabbing can be good in both bay and ocean, and clamming in the area is decent.

Astoria/Hammon/Ilwaco and the CR Bar... Ilwaco is a decent facility but lacks any fish cleaning options, Hammond kinda crappy, Astoria is excellent but a looooong run to the bar.  CR Bar can be nice, or can live up to it's "graveyard of the Pacific" name.  Lots of stuff to do in Astoria (some of the best brew pubs in the region), not so much in Ilwaco or Hammond.  Salmon fishing in both the estuary and the ocean can be the best in the lower 48.  Crabbing in both the bay and ocean similarly fantastic.  Halibut and rockfishing options are very limited.  Tuna! options are outstanding, with live bait available in Ilwaco but medium to long runs required.  Clamming for razor clams off Long Beach is outstanding.  Sturgeon fishing in the river is decent if you are into it.

I prefer Newport in spring/early summer, Ilwaco/Astoria in late summer and fall.

Florence is a cool town, with some crabbing and salmon in the estuary, but the Siuslaw Bar can be pretty nasty.  Not too many ocean fishers use that port.  Further south, Winchester Bay (Umpqua River) is decent, with a decent facility.  Charleston (Coos Bay) has an excellent facility with usually excellent tuna and bottom fish options.  I don't know much about the salmon or halibut there.  Bandon is similar to Florence.  Port Orford is a super cool town with some fantastic fisheries, and a boat lift with a crane instead of a ramp.  Never fished it, but Tunacious here could tell you about it.  Brookings is the last port before the CA boarder... my understanding is it is a pretty nice facility and often has the shortest run for Tuna!.  It is affected by the Klamath River salmon closures, so salmon can be hit or miss.  I don't know much about the other fisheries down there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:52:38 AM by Threeweight »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
X2 on Florance and Brookings.

If you go to Newport there's a lot of things to do while you're there after fishing. Park your trailer and take a cruise around the town, visit the Yaquina lighthouse, check out the Devils Punchbowl just up from there and then you have the Bay Front, the Aquarium, Rouge beer, Yaquina Bay park, etc.

I always liked Newport and HWY 20 was an easy drive if you we're heading out to the valley and I-5.

But If you continue to head south, just bypass Waldport, it's almost a ghost town now, heck it was almost a ghost town when I lived there.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:40:08 PM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
Later in the summer Winchester can be a BIG + or Huge -.  If the fish are coming through, the river nearly always fishes well, but that bar ----  I have seen it closed for nearly 3 weeks pretty much 24/7---  Perhaps open for a couple of hours in the morning, only to close by 0900...  Not good to be on the outside...  When wind closes it, you may be faced with days, not just hours, closure.  NOT a good time to be outside.

I went out one morning, only to get clear of the bar swells so I could get turned around (a bit hairy to say the least).  CG cutter on the way to the bar as we were coming in, and closure lights flashing when we went by...

I would REALLY rather not do that again...

Tillamook, as 3WT notes, can be a real tough one too, however, my experience has been waiting for the tide change usually cures the problem...

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
Big swells are a no-no at Tilly as well.  The bar gets very shallow (and shallower every year with all the sediment running out of the bay).  Not a problem on slack tide or incoming with moderate (under 4-5') swells.  No bueno in big summer/fall swells arrive. 

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »
Thank you one and all ! This was a great help!

Offline Keel-er

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
Completely agree with Streamfixer and Threeweight on Columbia and Tillamook bars.  In my experience with Tillamook, if the ocean is friendly enough for us to be out then waiting out the tide is the key.  If conditions are not good enough to be out then the bar is kind of the Canary in the coal mine.  Newport is great and ample bottom fishing north and south.  Brookings has a good ramp and the bar is nearly always passable.  There is lots of structure north and south, similar to Newport, for great bottom fishing.  I think Newport is by far the best facility and I really like having the fresh water hoses at the tie down spot so you can flush the motor and rinse the salt off immediately.
With any ocean fishing trip in Oregon, keep an eye on the afternoon winds.  It can be glassy one minute and the next it looks like a stampede of sheep coming across the water.  It can make for an uncomfortable ride, at the least, coming back to port.
1986 Sea Ranger 17
2001 Yamaha F100 4 stroke
2007 Mercury 8hp 4 stroke

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »
I agree with everything Threeweight said but don't forget about Netarts Bay in Tillamook.

Netarts has much less fresh water coming into the bay so when there has been lots of rain the Netarts can still be very good crabbing.  Netarts has excellent clamming also.  No fishing though. 

Tillamook also has a great museum in town and a very cool Air Museum in the old Blimp Base just outside of town also.

I guess the one thing I disagree with Threeweight on is that the Tillamook Cheese Factory is only good for one visit. 
Who can pass up an ice cream cone.  :stirthepot:
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline blue heron

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »
I'm with Tunacious on the Tillimook Cheese Factory - We love that place.
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
Does stopping in for ice cream really qualify as being a tour???   :shrug9:    :stirthepot:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
Let me clarify my thinking...

Fort George Brewing > Tillamook Cheese Factory
Buoy Beer Brewing > Tillamook Cheese Factory
Rogue Brewery > Tillamook Cheese Factory
Seven Devils Brewery > Tillamook Cheese Factory

--- Hunter S. Thompson