Author Topic: Fuel gauge sending unit  (Read 224 times)

Offline BRETT

Fuel gauge sending unit
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
Well I pulled the tank on my 1989 SE to clean things up prior to a rewire and an now wondering if I can "or should" retro fit my gas tank with a sending unit for a gas gauge? Or is it better to just order a new tank from Arima with one already installed? Went to the Arima site to check out $$$ but when you click on PARTS link it goes to Go Daddy advertisement. Any way what are your guys thoughts on this matter?
1988 SE 60 Johnson

Offline Threeweight

Re: Fuel gauge sending unit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
Does it already have a hole for a sending unit?  If your old tank is in good shape just order one of the WEMA units on a sliding float (much more accurate than the Tempo swing-arm style).  Will come with new gaskets, and as I recall it is a simple 2 wire installation.

Only reason to upgrade the tank itself is if it has a problem, or you want larger fuel capacity.

Or just eyeball the tank.  Or track fuel usage through your electronics, if your motor is new enough.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BRETT

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »
the current tank is in good shape but no hole for the sending unit I would have to drill a hole.....
1988 SE 60 Johnson

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
I'd skip it.  For the cost of a new tank, you could install some nice electronics and either network them to your engine, or run a fuel-flow meter on your hoses.  Either would give you vastly more accurate fuel consumption data than a gauge (you just have to remember to re-set them when you fill up!)
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
Mine has a sending unit and I don’t even connect it. I trust the Sharpie marks on my tank more. I have marks at every 5 gallons.

I never “need” gas. I always launch with a full tank and never use more than 1/2 tank. Lately I have only been using 2-3 gallons, yet I still fill up before launching.

My worst fear is the embarrassment of running out of gas and having to call for a tow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:29:17 AM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »
I agree with everyone....I wouldn't waste money on a new fuel tank just to have a gauge, I have a gauge and never look at it. Like croaker I fill up before every outing and never use more than half a tank - I keep a visual on my fuel levels.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
I just installed a brand new 27 gallon tank from the factory and it came with the fuel gauge sending unit but I haven’t, and probably won’t use it. As the others said either network engine data or just use the visual marks. Also if you don’t have problems with gas overflowing out the filler neck while filling now I would pass on a new tank. Ask me how I know this :doh:
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Offline BRETT

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Thanks for all the advise I will forgo the gauge and look into a fuel flow meter, I still have the old Johnson 60 on the boat till next year when I plan on getting a new yamaha f70.
1988 SE 60 Johnson

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Before going through the expense of adding a fuel flow gage, do a few outings and keep good notes. You will get an average MPG your boat gets at cruise and can then plan accordingly. I personally trust the tank graduations far more than a gage. 
Once you get a NMEA capable engine, you can link it to the chartplotter and have a pretty accurate calculator.

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
Before going through the expense of adding a fuel flow gage, do a few outings and keep good notes. You will get an average MPG your boat gets at cruise and can then plan accordingly. I personally trust the tank graduations far more than a gage. 
Once you get a NMEA capable engine, you can link it to the chartplotter and have a pretty accurate calculator.
This. From what others here have said about the F70 on a 16 you should be very happy with that motor
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Offline Redhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »
As stated above visual markers tend to be a lot more accurate than a sending unit. I would go with fuel flow meter as they are a bit more reliable and don’t bob around when you are in rough seas. We have a sending unit on our boat but only because we have an RDS metal tank when we got it so it ain’t see through. A flow meter is on the list of projects though.