News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Help changing water Pump on 2003 Honda 90Hp

Started by Fishin Machine, January 06, 2018, 04:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishin Machine

Hope some one can help, last week I started the motor since it hasn't been run for a couple of months. It took a few minutes but the motor eventually started to pee. The water coming out was very warm and then temp light came on. The motor was shut down immediately and today I was going to replace the impeller water pump.

The four bolts in the back were removed with ease, but the front bolt over the prop was difficult. Eventually the bolt came out of the top part of the housing, but is stuck in the lower unit. Is this bolt threaded into the lower unit or is it stuck do to corrosion and could be tapped out with a wood block and hammer. To turn the bold it takes a socket with a 18" breaker bar. The photos online looks like it should just drop out of the housing. Currently the bolt is soaking in break free and it is being applied every couple of hours.

Thank you for the help
FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

DevMah

That is a stud it's threaded on both sides...usually one side is lock-tited so it is not removable.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fishin Machine

If it is a stud, there is a hex head on the other side. See Attatchments
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

La-Z-Buoy

Hey FM. I had a Honda 90, 2000, couple of years ago and if I'm not mistaken, you need to remove the trim tab. There is a bolt hidden underneath that needs to be removed to effect lower unit removal.  And you may need a good sized rubber hammer to break it loose. Good luck.

Don't forget---- mark the position to the trim tab plate before removal!!!!!

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/pubs/pci54309pdf.pdf
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Fisherdv

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on January 06, 2018, 06:21:55 PM
Hey FM. I had a Honda 90, 2000, couple of years ago and if I'm not mistaken, you need to remove the trim tab. There is a bolt hidden underneath that needs to be removed to effect lower unit removal.  And you may need a good sized rubber hammer to break it loose. Good luck.

Don't forget---- mark the position to the trim tab plate before removal!!!!!

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/pubs/pci54309pdf.pdf
:yeahthat:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Tj805

I agree I believe there is a bolt under the trim tab.
Also change those zincs as well and Mabey run some salt away threw your cooling system
Looks like there is some buildup in there .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

tc808

may not need to remove trim tab, I have a 2006 90 I thought I had to remove,  bolt was corroded on and I snapped it off, then had to drill it out and re tap it,  after all of that there was no attachment under the tab check around.

tc808

Also my motor & tab  had an indexing arrow for alignment check for that.

La-Z-Buoy

I need to amend my earlier post. I also seem to recall, at least for my generation of motor, that there were 2 different types of lower units, one was a genuine Honda, the other was supplied by Mercury. I think mine was the Mercury one. Boy, I'm a lot of help  :redface: .
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

tc808

The Seloc manual I have says it could be either way so you are correct LZB.

Fisherdv

Quote from: Fishin Machine on January 06, 2018, 05:07:21 PM
If it is a stud, there is a hex head on the other side. See Attatchments
Remove the gearcase cover as described in the top photo of the manual. That bolt should drop out. If not try VERY carefully to tap it out. If that is the CORRECT manual for your year and serial number motor, follow the directions exactly, step by step.

Fisherdv

It says to REMOVE that 10x80 hex bolt and washer so it must be able to drop out

Fisherdv

If you are able to get that bolt out, I would put some marine grease on it, and all the bolts to facilitate easier removal next time

ATGEP

I use anti seize and the lower unit pops right off the following year. Dont for get to do the propshaft lube and gear oil while you are at it.

dbhazjack

FM I have a 2013, don't think the lower unit design has changed much, mine is exactly like your diagram and yes that bolt should drop out. Instead of break free you might try soaking the stud with salt away or straight white vinegar to break up the salt and mineral deposits. Also, it's recommended to remove the lower unit every other year for inspection. I suspect a major reason for this is to prevent those deposits from developing. As others have said coating the bolts with a good marine grease helps. One other thing to consider since it looks like it may have been a while since your lower unit has been off, you can order replacement alignment pins (2 front and rear) from iBoats. Put some grease on those also for reassembly.

The good news is you have it apart without breaking of a hardened steel bolt in the aluminum housing! The rest is a piece of cake now!!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Fisherdv

Quote from: ATGEP on January 06, 2018, 10:42:34 PM
I use anti seize and the lower unit pops right off the following year. Dont for get to do the propshaft lube and gear oil while you are at it.
I would not use anti-seize as it is metallic and a dissimilar metal. In saltwater this could actually make galvanic corrosion worse

Hydroman

There are many different types of anti seize available, just make sure you  get the correct compound for your application.  There are numerous publications available that identify the correct application for different conditions.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

Don't forget to check/change your thermostat.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fishin Machine

Thank you everyone for help, I was able to get a hammer and tap on the bolt and it eventually came out. The bolt will need to be replace. Croaker where is the thermostat? is it easy to change?

Thank you for the help
FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

tc808

Thermostat is up on the block port side on my 2006 your manual will have the location.

Threeweight

Tef Gel is an anti-corrosion product designed for aluminum (it's what the military uses for aircraft and marine applications) that works great as an anti-seize as well.  A tube is pricey at We$t Marine, but a little bit goes a loooooong way.  For outboards where corrosion is a major issue, I'd look into it.

Typical anti-size lubes use either copper or aluminum.  You want to stay away from copper-based anti-size products in a boat, but aluminum works great.  You can buy marine-spec aluminum anti-seize stuff at We$t Marine as well.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Tip : read your service manual !  And use the recommended thread treatment.

Anti-seize or grease/lubricant applied where thread-lock is needed can spell disaster.  (Don't ask)

FishMachine,

What TC808 said. :wink:

Although I have been using it, anti-seize is probably not good on your spark plugs. I have noticed that it hardens over time, like any other oil or grease. When removing the old plugs, small hardened pieces flake off and may drop into your cylinder. Not sure of the consequences of that ??

Most of my outboard related problems are because I did something stupid. Sometimes I think I know more than the dozens of brilliant engineers that collaborated to write the service manual.  :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸