News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Best transducer option for Lowrance HDS-7

Started by Fisherdv, January 06, 2018, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Lots of different transducer options for the HDS-7 gen3, and not sure which one will best suit my needs. I'm looking for a transom mount, that has water temperature. I mostly fish river/delta, SF bay, and ocean. I do not fish for lake bass. I want to be able to see salmon in the river, schools of fish or bait schools in the ocean. Mostly be in water under 200 ft, with the majority of the time under 100ft. What do you guys think is the best transducer for this with the HDS-7 gen3?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

I have a 83/200 transom mount on my Humminbird. Holds bottom at 30 mph.

Mine needed to be mounted lower than was recommended on the installation instructions. I also bought a surplus stainless steel transducer mount. The plastic mount was not strong enough to prevent the transducer from moving.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DevMah

On my HDS 9 Gen 3 I have two different transducers one structure scan Lowerance and the second is a Arimar P66, the Arimar has depth, speed and water temp. 50/200.
http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=145

I will be selling my structure scan transducer in a few month as I will be upgrading to the 3d.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-reg-LSS-Skimmer-Transducer/1579434.uts

I would recommend the p66 I have no issues at 600' at a speed of about 22 mph, the transducer is capable of way more...

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/transom_mount_products1.pdf

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fishin Machine

FisherDv, I might have a transducer your looking for. My boat has two of them, one of them is not being used but it is all attach to wire ties and cables and should of been removed by the last owner and laying inside of the transom.

This month, my Christmas present to my self is to get the Lowrance HDS 12, and all the setup on the boat will be changed. If you can hold on for two to four weeks you can have my spare. Currently I am recovering from ankle surgery so my mobility is limited. Send me a message if your interested.

I am waiting for the sportsman show in a couple weeks to purchase the fish finder, I was told they will be on sale and was also promised a discount on radar if I get on at the same time.

Thank you
FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

FM, I appreciate the offer. I don't have the unit yet I'm doing my research to see what I'm going to need. If I do end up being able to use that transducer you mentioned I will PM you. Thanks

Fisherdv

I wonder if the transducer off of my elite 5 chirp would work  :shrug9:

Fisherdv

They sell a HDS-7 gen 3 bundle with the Total Scan Transducer. Will that transducer fit my needs? It has 83/200, 455/800, chirp, structure scan, down scan imaging etc. I assume you can choose between them individually? Thx. I'm not to hip on the newer electronics I'm used to the old school units :shrug9:

rasslingref

1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Fisherdv

They kind of market the p-66 as a deep water transducer? I rarely will go over 100 ft-250ft. Is that a good shallow water ducer as well?

sfever

I use the Total scan with my Simrad NSS9 and so far so good for trolling. The depth does drop out over 250' and loses depth when going over 10 mph but the clarity on the fish finder is great when trolling. Don't use the structure scan much yet but with the Total Scan you have that option. My old transducer was shoot through the hull and it keep  better depth in deeper water and at speed but for a transom mount I like mine.

First Cabin

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 09, 2018, 04:17:15 PM
They kind of market the p-66 as a deep water transducer? I rarely will go over 100 ft-250ft. Is that a good shallow water ducer as well?

Run the P66 at 50khz.  It has a 45 degree cone at that frequency so it is great in shallow water.  The only issue I have with it is when I run into a thick school of anchovies or herring and it will be overwhelmed and lose bottom.

It's a great, low cost transducer.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Fisherdv

FishAddict

If you have the coin the B175HW (or M) in a thru hull or if your not willing to drill a in hull or Tm.  The transom mount is TM185HW.  You will not be disappointed if you spend the extra money on a high end ducer.  It has been a game changer for me.  I'm using the Lowrance Sonarhub with is the same chirp sounder that your HDS 3 has built in.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

FishAddict

Other worthy non chirp transducers would be TM260(I have this one too and it works great at 50khz in shallower water can be found used for around $400-500 you can splice to a lowrance pig tail) followed by the P66.  The P66 is the most economical at around $135 new

Fisherdv

Wow, that TM185HW is $800. That's more than tha HDS-7. I guess it would make a difference though

FishAddict

Wow they have come down in price.  $800 is about 40% less than they were a few years ago.

Andre Morin

For what you want to do the Airmar TM-150M could be the best. That's what I'm using and I'm very happy with it.
Cost: around $250

Fisherdv

I purchased the HDS-7 and think the TM-150 transducer would work well for me after doing a little research and from your input. I really like the target separation from this transducer. I only want to run one transducer. So do you guys think the TM-150 medium chirp transducer is a good all around choice? I'll be using it as I described in my first post.