Author Topic: Can Lenco electric trim tabs also be used to slow down trolling speed?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Fisherdv

Can Lenco electric trim tabs in the full down position slow trolling speed? Has anyone tried this? I’m sure they wouldn’t slow trolling speed very much, but maybe a bit? If anyone has tried this, how much slower with the tabs fully deployed?  :shrug9:
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Hydroman

Re: Can Lenco electric trim tabs also be used to slow down trolling speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
I have Linco Electric there it doesn't appear that the tabs would cause any noticeable drag at trolling speeds.  I have been able lower the trolling speed when using my main motor by trimming the engine up, just be careful not to trim too much to starve cooling water.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:51:08 AM »
    I imagine a trolling plate, along with those tabs lowered, would prove to be quite effective.

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline 58Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
I have tried your method. Trolling into the wind they take a nominal amount of speed off (.1 to .2 mph on a 16 SeaChaser). When trolling with the wind they aid the natural surging of the seas and make speed control much more difficult.
I suggest Amish Outfitters trolling bags if you want to scub a little speed off. The smaller bags work great with a 16 fter.
2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
Tabs don't really create much drag at all at displacement speeds.  They are designed to lift the stern at planing speeds... if they created much drag they'd kill your fuel economy (they do the opposite).

Guys who don't want kickers out here are forced to either use a trolling plate on the main, or to drag drift socks (or even 5 gallon buckets on a rope) from side cleats.  Both work "ok" but you are still racking up hours on the main.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
Ya I will really need a kicker motor at some point for the reasons mentioned. My troll control switch for the main does help but would still like to shave .5 or so. And I really don’t like dragging buckets. Also, I troll about 75% of my fishing time so that would rack up a lot of  hours on the main

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
Nope. You should be able to troll fine with that 60.

I use my F70 a lot when I want to sit up front under cover.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
If you want to lower trolling speed without purchasing a motor how about getting one of those $96 4 blade props being discussed in another post?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
John try an EZ Steer for steering and an iTroll for kicker speed control. One of the best improvements I have made so I can use the kicker effectively from the helm.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
If you want to lower trolling speed without purchasing a motor how about getting one of those $96 4 blade props being discussed in another post?
Thats me. I got the 4-blade. I really didn’t take note of the Trolling speed yet I will check next time out
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:34:58 PM by Fisherdv »

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
 I know that a lower pitch prop will definitely slow trolling speed but then you give up the performance at the higher rpm’s, i’ve heard of people modifying the smart tabs so they drop all the way down but with the Lencos I don’t think they go down far enough to have any real difference in troll speed

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
Update: I can confirm that with the Lenco 9x12 trim tabs in full down position on a 16 SC will slow trolling speeds by about .4 mph. I’ve tried it in the river and in saltwater and same results.    .4 mph is not much, but it could make the difference between you lure/bait running correctly and a bite :twocents:

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
A couple of drift socks tied off to your forward cleats, or even a couple of 5 gallon buckets, work better.  Guys with no kicker do that here to slow the troll down enough for spring chinook.

Just remember to take them off before you run at speed back to the top of the troll.

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
Ya, I’ve done the bucket thing in the past but I hate using them. (And yes, I’ve taken off and forget to pull the bucket to)  :doh: With the Arima I have the troll control switch that will drop engine RPM from 850 at idle to 750. Works well. I have no problem trolling slow with it. Just was curious if the tabs all the way down would slow it even more just incase to adjust to water conditions. When I was out trolling for halibut and the tide turned my troll speed went to 2.5. I fully deployed the tabs and got back in my “zone” at about 2.1. When pulling a dodger that sways side to side troll speed is very critical.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:37 AM »

I put a 4 blade on my 17 Chaser 115 motor and the trolling speed increased....I have only had it on the water for 20 minutes since putting it on but trolling speed was an area I was paying attention to.  I plan to use the kicker for trolling this year, previously I always trolled with the main.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
Yeah, the 4 blades give you more thrust at a given RPM due to the increased blade surface.  Gives you better steerage, acceleration, and mid-range performance, less top speed.  If you go from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade of the same pitch and diameter, you will actually gain speed at idle/trolling speeds due to the higher thrust.  You need to drop the pitch down to compensate.

With a 4 blade prop on a kicker, you don't have to worry about planing the boat so you can drop the pitch down crazy low, get the thrust and steerage advantages and maintain good troll speeds.  On a main motor, you can't drop it too much or the prop will suffer too much slip and perform poorly. 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
I was assuming you'd choose a 4 blade with a lower pitch, thus slowing the troll and giving more control.  I once had a 6 horse Evinrude with the factory 2 blade prop and it was sorry at trolling, until I found a high torque prop that made it a great little troller.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9