News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

My first boat ever

Started by oldbhtrnewequip, January 01, 2012, 06:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbhtrnewequip

Hey folks,

Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while if you'll have me.

I need to soak up some more of the knowledge you all bring to the table.

I picked up my first boat ever.

Its an Arima 19 foot Sea Ranger, Hard Top, Dual Yamaha 50's, on a Long self adjusting roller trailer.
Everything from 1996. Poor guy passed away this past year and his wife put it up for auction.
Plus a whole boatload (literally) of things packed away in the cuddy.

The auctioneer says he knew the old man and would be surprised if the boat made it out on the
water a dozen times. He had fished with him. Engines have 171 and 177 hours on them...so it makes some sense.

$7400 for the package.

I'm very excited because the boat is in pretty much pristine order.
There's not much wrong with it really.
Engines look immaculate when you pull off the cowlings.

Carbs need cleaning though. Plugs looked good.
Got 150 on each cylinder on the compression check.

A couple nicks/blemishes here and there in the gelcoat, but that's it.
You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and a brand spanking new boat frankly.
You'd have to be right up against it.

As some of you have suggested, there aren't a lot of people on the East Coast that have the value
proposition in Arimas figured out. I banked on your opinions...which universally hold this boat out to be top in its class for  exactly what I want to do. So thank you. Thank you VERY much!

I think I did all right.
I can't wait to get to  :fishing: and  :beerchug:
It's going to be a long winter ...

And again...Thanks for all the help...I did a lot of reading of past threads to help me make the decision.

My Best,

Pete

Threeweight

Congratulations on your new girl!   :clap:

But where are the pictures?!?!?!?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

oldbhtrnewequip

Quote from: Threeweight on January 01, 2012, 06:14:16 PM
Congratulations on your new girl!   :clap:

But where are the pictures?!?!?!?

Have to wait til the AM for some light.

chuckster

Congrats on your new toy!  Sounds like you got a screaming deal on that boat!  :dance:
1987 Sea Chaser
115 HP Yami / 8 HP Merc
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I said I paid for it"

wedocq

YES, you did quite alright! Sounds like a great pick :beerchug:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

La-Z-Buoy

Outstanding way to start the new year!!! Congrats  :applause: . Can't wait to see the pics.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

GoodDays

Sounds like a really nice Ride !!!! Congrats !  Post some photos !!

GoodDays Greg  :fishing:

theSaltyPuddle

Congratulations, where was this boat purchased?

Sent from my HTC
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

amazing grace

Congrats, Wow, that could be the deal of the new year. Sounds fantastic. Welcome.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

fishing eagle

Your first boat is an Arima... well you couldn't start out much better than with a SR19. Congrats on your first boat! Yes Arima's are kind of a dark horse or something on the east coast because not many folks are aware of them. Welcome aboard!

BTW its good to have another East Coaster here. Where are you located?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

finfinn

Welcome on board. Great boat for a good price :clap:. Then again I am partial to SR19. You will learn to like that boat.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

oldbhtrnewequip

Quote from: theSaltyPuddle on January 01, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
Congratulations, where was this boat purchased?

Sent from my HTC

Thanks everyone  :biggrin:

Bought it at an auction in Madison Virginia just south of Culpeper.

StreamFixer

New Eq

Nice score.  Welcome aboard

Let me know if you see a 19 Sea Chaser on the block.  Please consider putting yourself on our member map.  The East Coasters snivel and cry about being so lonely  :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

CanvasGuy

neweq....
welcome and congrats on your new to you boat... :yeahthat:
any Arima is better than any other boat for its size..
I love my 16' chaser fishes with the big boys short of a 50 mile tuna run.. :biggrin:
enjoy that 19' and share it with us here..

again congrats and welcome to the Pack..

Cg,, Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Tunacious

Congrats on the new purchase.  What a great deal.  You are going to love it.  Arima is a great boat.
Penquin

SRanger

Hummm...just might have to think about relocating to Namby Pamby land.  At least long enough to make a score like this!

Congrats Old Boater New Equipment...that is the dream boat for some of us:)

SR (Todd)
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

fishing eagle

Quote from: StreamFixer on January 02, 2012, 07:52:14 AM
New Eq

Nice score.  Welcome aboard

Let me know if you see a 19 Sea Chaser on the block.  Please consider putting yourself on our member map.  The East Coasters snivel and cry about being so lonely  :wink:

StreamFixer

And whom might you be referring to SF?  :shrug9:
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

PNW Pride

Pete, congratulations!  Sounds like you found a gem.  You would have to look far and wide to find a better 19' boat.  I believe you did it right, my first boat was a 19' Larson fish and ski.  After three years she was just a Larson wanna be fishing boat.  Lol!  I almost got sea sick while going from one side to the other, real tipsy.  Not only is my Arima more stable and fuel efficient but it also turns on a dime with out the prop slipping. Gotta love sponsons! That's more than I can say for the so called ski boat that would slip and slide out on tight turns.  Buy a nice canvas cover and take care of your baby with regular wax jobs.  Welcome to the family, happy and safe boating!   :beerchug:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Pete....your gonna have some fun with that boat. Nice move... that may be a record in the scorebook for the most bang for your buck.    :dance: Good luck!
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

strokersquid

Boo Hoo I paid more for a 93 17 SR and I thought I did OK. In fact I did do OK. You just hit it out of the park !!!

xplorz

Congratulations on a SMOKIN deal!
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

oldbhtrnewequip

Quote from: fishing eagle on January 01, 2012, 08:33:26 PM
Your first boat is an Arima... well you couldn't start out much better than with a SR19. Congrats on your first boat! Yes Arima's are kind of a dark horse or something on the east coast because not many folks are aware of them. Welcome aboard!

BTW its good to have another East Coaster here. Where are you located?

You'll find me out on the Chesapeake bay or up in your neck of the woods but a bit south down
at Sacandaga

oldbhtrnewequip

Just a quick update.
So I cleaned her all up to pristine condition but got her down to the boat yard before getting
any good pictures. The ones I have don't show her in the best light.

Like the prom queen she is....you all will get to see her when she's ready to go out.

:biggrin:

I'm having the mechanics look over the engines, clean out the carbs, and winterize her.
Come mid april the cover's coming off and it'll be out on the bay for some sea trials.

IN THE MEAN TIME... I have a lot of work to do and need some more recommendations.

1.) I'm thinking that an investment in two new rule bilge pumps in the 500-800 gallon range is appropriate.
2.) I want to replace the hold down straps on the batteries and the fuel tank. I was planning on just
using straight nylon with a ratcheting type of tightener. Make sense?
3.) I have to buy basic electronics packages. I need a radio, plotter, gps, depth/fish finder.
4.) I want to use planer boards to get my lures and umbrella rigs some distance on either side of the boat.
     I'm thinking I 'don't want to use the hard top to make this happen, and that I might need to build an
     aluminum tubular frame that'll take the same basic path as the rear curvature of the hard top, except
     a little higher.  Then I can put some rocket launchers on it, and have a place relatively high that I
     can put eye bolts to tie off the planer boards. If anyone has used a hard top to mount rocket launchers
     and use planer boards, I'd be interested...

1.) I need to build the planer boards
       2.) I need to buy the clips for the line that runs to the planer boards.
       3.) I need to buy rods and reels, line, lures, and weights.
       4.) I need to buy umbrella rigs, soft baits
       5.) I need a bigger net than the one that came with the boat  :biggrin:
       6.) I need a big honking cooler.
       7.)  I need to make up my board for length measurement using a yardstick.

5.) I think I need a pump for raw water washdown so we're not slipping and sliding
     on scales.
    I need a brush and mop. I need a mop squeezer that'll fit in a 5 gallon bucket.
6.) I need to check the pumps for the bait wells.
7.) I need to check the safety box for everything I need.
8.) Maybe not a bad idea to just flat out replace the existing fire extinguishers.
9.) I need to check and make sure I have everything in the tool box I need.
10.) I need recommendations for spare equipment for the engines (gas line?..bulb?)

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of somethings.

I should be looking for some lists.

I guess it's also time for me to go get my education about running a boat....

It's gonna be fun :dance:

Keel-er

Congratulations on your new addition and welcome to the family!
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

Seattleflyfisher

Congrats!

Let the fun time begin.

SFF