News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

After much soul searching..

Started by HemiGTX, December 30, 2017, 11:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiGTX

..I've decided to step down and relinquish the crown.

As some of you know, I am the reigning and undefeated champion of the Annual Arima Owners Neah Bay Worst VHF Antenna Contest (AAONBWVAC).  To ensure a high degree of impartiality, rigor, and decorum WEDOCQ uses a carefully calibrated antenna tester to determine which Arima will win top honors for the worst antenna in the fleet.

My ancient Shakespeare antenna has so dominated this contest that I'm concerned for the future of this highly-charged contest.  I heard a lot of grumbling that there was no sense in competing against such an unbeatably bad antenna.  Streamfixer got so upset that he is threatening to boycott the entire Neah Bay halibut season.  I'm hoping that my actions will change his mind in that regard.

So it was with a heavy heart that I ordered a new Digital 529, thereby effectively removing myself from contention.  This year, my radio range should extend significantly beyond last year's.  Which, near as I could determine, was approximately a ten foot radius.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Rokefin

Boy life is hard - how could you give up such a crown :shrug9:

croaker stroker

Did you get a white one, or a black one ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

HemiGTX

StreamFixer

Now we will FINALLY find out if it was indeed the antenna or perhaps it was the operator...  Seemed to work OK when Nicole was talking on your radio --  just saying'...   :whistle:  Jury is still out as far as many of us are concerned...   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Sometimes people just talk too close to the microphone.

But the black ones definitely work better than the white.  :whistle:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

HemiGTX

Nah...

It's just that Russ pretends to be deaf when I call him.  But he has NO PROBLEM hearing when Nicole is on the radio.  Must be the pitch of her voice or something..

GregE

My, what a magnificent, magnanimous message    :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

rasslingref

Way to go Hemi.  Now who will earn that crown?  Hopefully not me as I just replaced my broken tipped Shakespeare with another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

GregE

Quote from: rasslingref on December 30, 2017, 07:05:41 PM
Way to go Hemi.  Now who will earn that crown?  Hopefully not me as I just replaced my broken tipped Shakespeare with another.

Now WHY would you use another broken tipped antennae?!?!?   :hoboy:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

rasslingref

Haha. The new one was free and only had 6" off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

HemiGTX

Rasslingref:  you can have my old antenna for free, too.  It is in one piece. 

So it has one redeeming feature after all..

ATGEP

All kidding aside, the guys that capsized at Neah in 2016 got a quick radio burst out that saved their lives. Having a good VHF is a good idea.

croaker stroker

How did they do that with the boat capsized ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mooch

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

ATGEP

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 31, 2017, 02:54:12 PM

How did they do that with the boat capsized ?

It got hit with the first rouge wave which filled them up. They made the call and then the 2nd wave tossed em over.

https://www.dvidshub.net/audio/43671/coast-guard-rescues-three-after-vessel-capsizes-near-neah-bay#.VxW6l2f2Z9N

Threeweight

Now, of course, you'll need a new radio to pair with that antenna.  You know, just to be sure.   :whistle:

I have a Digital 529 as my main in the tin can... I picked up a Shakespeare 5225 XT (one of their high end ones) for just under $100 when We$t Marine was having one of their big sales last summer.  I broke the low-end Shakespeare the dealer installed (I've seen Snoopy fishing rods more fiberglass in them) and needed something in a hurry for my back-up radio.  Both are hooked up to Standard Horizons (one a GX 1700, the other a GX 1600.) 

In terms of signal clarity and range, they are comparable, but the Digital antenna weighs twice what the Shakespeare does.  Just a much tougher unit all around.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

I'm not sure you need a new antenna, HemiGTX.  Last year Bean and I heard your radio call from your ling spot and we were just past Tattosh.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

HemiGTX

Uhhhh.....no you didn't, lol!

If you recall, we called you on the electric telephone.  You barely heard us even on the phone because you don't have Verizon.

StreamFixer

Save your $$$  Hemi ---  I have an old wire coat hangar around here somewhere I could let you have cheap... :stirthepot:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9