News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea Ranger Skip Tower

Started by mariner, December 27, 2017, 08:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariner

I am in search of a Sea Ranger 19 or 21 footer but was wondering if there was a boat that I found that was a good match for what I am looking for, and if it didn't come with a hardtop or skip tower, do any of you know how much it costs to buy from the factory or whether there are any 3rd party companies out there who makes a skip tower designed for Arimas?

Thanks.
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

BurnsieBabe

Any Arima skip tower (without canvas) sells for $2500 at Defiance, installed or not installed.  The footprint is custom for each model of Arima so they have to be ordered as we receive orders here.  There are, I'm sure, many other ways to go as well but I'll leave that up to the folks on this forum.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

mariner

Thanks for the info Belinda.  I assume the canvas for the bimini will not fit the skip tower.  Can you let me know what is the price for the full canvas for the skip tower for either a 19 or 21 Sea Ranger?  Do you typically have the Skip Towers in stock and if they are built as the orders come in, what is the typically lead time?  Thank you.

BurnsieBabe

We do not have any in stock as there are six different patterns and we would always be sure to have the wrong one in stock.  You are looking for 4-6 weeks on getting a skip tower made and ready to go.  Canvas is somewhere in the range of $2650-$2800.  That would add about 2 weeks on after your boat is here for the skip tower install.  Your bimini canvas will not work with the skip tower at all.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

BruceL2_Fish

I bought my boat as a soft top.   I bought a skip tower from Defiance and had Canvas Guy (Gary) do the custom canvas.   Not cheap to do the conversion.   You will be in for close to $5K to convert a soft top. 
The up side is my skip tower and canvas are set up the way I like it. 
If your patient you will get a better deal buying the boat as a skip tower or hard top.   My two cents having traveled the other path. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

RETIRED-CG BOSN

If you're interested in a tower, I recently had one installed by Who Dat towers.  Installed and wired radar, deck light, nav light, re-located a VHF antanna, 6 rocket launchers and a net holder, total $2540.
They did an excellent job. Was considering a skip, but my canvas was new and couldn't justify additional
cost.
Sea Ranger 19 2008
2018 Suzuki 140, 2014 Honda 8hp
Sea Explorer 1999, 70hp Suzuki, 6hp Merc

mariner

Retired-CC, do you have any pictures?

mariner

BruceL2_Fish,  thanks for the info.  I think the Skip Tower pricing is reasonable but adding another $2.5K for the canvas for a total of $5K definately is not a cheap upgrade.  I agree if I can find one that already has a skip tower or hardtop that would be preferred as it would be all setup, wired and ready to go.

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on December 27, 2017, 02:35:02 PM
I bought my boat as a soft top.   I bought a skip tower from Defiance and had Canvas Guy (Gary) do the custom canvas.   Not cheap to do the conversion.   You will be in for close to $5K to convert a soft top. 
The up side is my skip tower and canvas are set up the way I like it. 
If your patient you will get a better deal buying the boat as a skip tower or hard top.   My two cents having traveled the other path.

mustang65fbk

One of the benefits to having the skip top over the hardtop is that the skip top sits up taller so if you're over 6'2", like I am, you won't hit your head on the top nor will you have to slouch over when driving or standing underneath the hardtop.  I agree with what others have said, look for a skip top boat for likely a better deal.  Or just buy the skip top from Defiance and not the curtains.  I bought my 21' SR Skip Top last summer and never used the curtains until winterizing it for the year.  During the summer when it's nice and sunny out though?  I never needed them but then I guess I'm more of a fair weather fisherman as I don't usually do winter fishing/crabbing.  Food for thought.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

RETIRED-CG BOSN

Sea Ranger 19 2008

RETIRED-CG BOSN

I can provide some better pictures if interested at a later date, as it's in storage now.
Sea Ranger 19 2008

Marine40

Mustang is very correct on having additional head room. I would recommend going to Google and using the key words of Arima and skip top. You will see every type of skip top made for ARIMA boats.
    Some are custom from home builds to the stock Arima.

Here are a couple pictures of my previous 17' and 19' Arima boats. [/li]
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: ATGEP on December 28, 2017, 09:07:41 AM
I found this on CL:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/d/skiptop-off-19-arima-sea/6436745503.html

If you're serious, Mariner, this would be a $3000 discount on the whole top. Be kinda like buying the cart before the horse though.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

mustang65fbk

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on December 28, 2017, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: ATGEP on December 28, 2017, 09:07:41 AM
I found this on CL:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/d/skiptop-off-19-arima-sea/6436745503.html

If you're serious, Mariner, this would be a $3000 discount on the whole top. Be kinda like buying the cart before the horse though.

That ad has also been on craigslist for quite awhile.  Might be able to make him an offer and get an even better deal... but yes definitely putting the cart before the horse if you don't have the boat yet.  If you need any pictures, I have a 21' SR Skip Top with a Honda 130hp 4 stroke motor and have some that I could send you or post on here.  Best of luck.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

BruceL2_Fish

Mariner, here is what my boat looked like new.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Here is what it looks like after 5 years of modifying.  It has been fun but if I was to do it over I would start with a Skip Tower is that is what you want.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

mariner

Thanks for the pics BruceL2_fish and thanks for the comments everyone.  The skiptop is a great addon.  Yes I agree if I were to buy the one on craigslist it's putting the cart before the horse.  I wanted an idea on what the cost was so that I could put that into consideration should I find a 19 or 21 with soft top.

This is a great forum.  I am glad to get some much help and feedback so that I am going into this process more knowledgeable than someone who doesn't have all this great support.  Looking forward to snapping up an Arima when one comes available and contributing to the forum as an owner.

Fisherdv

That is a beautiful boat BruceL2. I really like the proportions on the 19's. Mariner, good luck with your search
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

Bruce's boat looks a lot better in person.  Canvas guy did a stunning job on the canvas.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

sfever

I had Defiance put on the skip top and canvas to my SR21 a few years ago and in hindsight would do a couple things different. First I should have had the canvasguy or another pro do the canvas since without going into the details a pro would do a much better job than the factory.

Also would love to have the top be at least 6" longer toward the stern since the current one basically drips in the middle of the rear seat w/o the canvas and with the canvas on there is no room for a person to seat there. Just add some length there or move the top back and you will be happy. Had them add the rocket launchers and even at 6' with a stepping stool they are hard to get to but they provide the platform for radar if you add it.

Love my skip top and hope you find one that works for you ).

cohosalmon

I put the skip top on myself and moved it around quite a bit before committing to the bolt holes. You can easily shift the top 6" front to back to find the sweet spot for you. I observed that a number of skip tops I have seen were installed way to the front leaving the rear seats exposed. Not sure why some people like so much overhang at the front.

Marine40

There is an option for 2 sizes of tops from Arima. Certinitly it should align with above the windshield, then depending on the size of the top will be what gets covered.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

DevMah

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on December 28, 2017, 01:33:17 PM
Here is what it looks like after 5 years of modifying.  It has been fun but if I was to do it over I would start with a Skip Tower is that is what you want.

Nice setup Bruce looks like a fish slaying machine.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

darci

Way back ...there was a "group buy". What might the terms be, If such a thing is offered?