Author Topic: Trim Tabs (Oh My God Not Again!)  (Read 1237 times)

Offline metalwrkr

Trim Tabs (Oh My God Not Again!)
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
I am finally going to buy trim tabs,  I have searched the site and Insta Trim 9 wide by 12 long seems to be the tab of choice for a Sea Ranger 17.  I have combed the internet and can only seem to find 12 wide by 9 long (opposite from the above size) available in the kits.  I would like to confirm that : 1)  9 wide by 12 long is indeed the right size.  2) If it is, did you have to buy the tab as a special part separate from a kit?  3) Where is a good (read cheap) place to purchase the tabs?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Russ K.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:56:07 PM by metalwrkr »
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

Offline J Chaser

Re: Trim Tabs (Oh My God Not Again!)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
You seem to be set on Insta Trims. Did you look at Lenco electrics? I have the 9 x12 on my SC1511.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
I’ve been considering Lencos as well
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Russ
The optimum size to use is the 12 wide by the 9 inches long. I also have researched this for my 17 Chaser and wider is more efficient than length but the 9 inch width fits better if you have other accessories mounted on the back of your transom and from what I gather the 9 wide by 12 length works fine on the 17 footers.  I also remember reading and there seemed to be a little bit of confusion on which sizing was what and which to buy. I have a lot of notes on this subject, hopefully I can dig them up and see what my conclusion was.  I was ready to purchase trim tabs last year just when the salmon started biting so I postponed purchasing until now, so I will also be looking for the best deal.....

I see you are looking for insta-trims, I was searching for Lenco electrics so I'm not certain my research will help but I'll see what I have.....

Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

Get one with a position indicator on the dash.   :twocents:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »

I was researching part #’s on the Lenco tabs and that LED switch is $300 alone :shrug9: I think there’s a kit that includes it. I would really want to have it though

Offline BurnsieBabe

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »
We use the Insta-Trim 12" wide by 9" long on all Arima boats, as well as on our Defiance boats.  The standard Insta-Trim kit does not come with a position gauge so you just raise and lower tabs according to how it is running.  The Position Gauge costs almost as much as the whole standard kit.

Belinda

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »

I was researching part #’s on the Lenco tabs and that LED switch is $300 alone :shrug9: I think there’s a kit that includes it. I would really want to have it though

What’s another $300?  100 years from now, you wont know the difference.   :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
I have the switch without the indicator. Although it would be nice, it is really easy to use the tabs without it. As Belinda says, the indicator switch is expensive.

The tabs are the best money I have spent on this boat besides the 27 gallon fuel tank.

John

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
Looks like about $750 or so for the Lenco kit w/LED switch. It’s the porpoising on any small, spread out swell that really makes me want them. The Powertech prop helped some, but still get some porpoising

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »

What’s another $300?  100 years from now, you wont know the difference.   :shrug9:
I guess you’re right Croaker, that’s only .25 cents a month :wink: :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:46:55 PM by Fisherdv »

Online Ttcustomz

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Go with the Lenco electrics. I recently did on my new custom weld boat and man there nice. I like them a lot better than the insta trim ones that I have on my sea legend. I didn’t get the led indicator switch but that would be ideal as you can see where the tabs are. You will enjoy having tabs on your boat.
1999 Arima Sea Legend twin Honda 75
2017 Custom Weld 20offshore  Suzuki 200 Suzuki FI9.9

Offline DevMah

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »
I have the Arima factory Insta Trims and I added the led indicators... I have had my trim tabs since 2015 and not a single issue.

The indicator is worth is weight in gold...my  :twocents:

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Online Hydroman

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
I have Lenco Electric on my 27 Thunder Jet with the indicators.

I trim tabs are great, don't find the indicators any value.

You trim by watching RPM vs speed and it is easy to determine when you at max performance.  The position of optimum performance varies dependent of boat loading and sea conditions.

JIm
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
I have the trim tabs installed by Arima without an indictor. I think it is perfect without an indicator. It's all about sea conditions and feel. an indicator to me would be a waste of money. I simply adjust for conditions watching the speed, tach and fuel consumption gauge
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Online La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »
Go with the Lenco electrics. I recently did on my new custom weld boat and man there nice. I like them a lot better than the insta trim ones that I have on my sea legend. I didn’t get the led indicator switch but that would be ideal as you can see where the tabs are. You will enjoy having tabs on your boat.

Hey, I'm curious. You've made a comparison of two different systems on two completely different platforms. Could you explain that a little please. Seems to me that a good comparison would be different systems on the same platform. Or maybe I'm just missing something here. Thanks.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 08:06:54 AM »
Russ
I didn't dig up my notes yet but from my memory and as you can read here your best bet would be the Lenco electric 12 X 9. If you are going electric I think the only valid option is the Lenco as you will need some tab control in certain waters. Personally I would and will get the kit with the rocker switch but not with the LED, you will learn the feel fairly easy and I think 300 bucks could be spent elsewhere - if you have the extra 3 bills go for the light show.
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
I also have the factory Insta-Trim and they have worked great for me.   I also do not have the indicator and really don't think it is of value.  Conditions change and you will be adjusting as needed depending on what is happening with the water and boat load condition.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
I also have the factory Insta-Trim and they have worked great for me.   I also do not have the indicator and really don't think it is of value.  Conditions change and you will be adjusting as needed depending on what is happening with the water and boat load condition.

I agree with the dont need indicator group.  I have my trim switch mounted just to the right of the throttle lever and never actually look at the switch anyways. Insta trim has worked perfectly for me and all of the important bits are out of the water which I like.

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
Curious with the Lencos do you have to drill a hole all the way through the transom for the wires, or run wires up over the top of the transom?

Online Hydroman

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:39 AM »
The wires take a lot smaller hole than the hoses and with electric you don't have to use valuable space in the boat for the hydraulic pump and reservoir.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Nineball

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
Great discussion about trim tabs

BUT.......

Did anyone else hear TTCustomz say Brand New Boat :dance:

Lets have a look at her Thap!

Carry on
SC17, 75etec, T9.9

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
I ran my wires over transom and through the same boot for the steering, etc.

John

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
   On these small boats, I'd go with the electric Lencos with the indicator switch.  IMO, I don't honestly think all the plumbing associated with hydraulic tabs is worth the trouble.  Some claim the hydro tabs respond a little quicker, but in reality, I think we're splitting hairs with regard to the difference.  Also, I like the idea of drilling through the transom for the electric line.  Just not a big fan of "transom spaghetti".  I'd drill the holes, seal with epoxy and add a bit of LifeSeal where I felt necessary.  For what it's worth, Boston Whaler's been using Lencos for years.  My :twocents:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60