News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

humminbird 798ci si combo

Started by lloyds, November 28, 2017, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

Quote from: Rokefin on December 19, 2017, 06:34:03 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 19, 2017, 01:04:50 PM

Garmin....

Can you edit waypoints on your computer ?

How easily does it come on/off of the boat ? If you take it off the boat...What do you do with the plugs ?

I am usually adding or deleting waypoints while in action fishing, it would be nice to practice or play on the computer.

Unit is simple to remove, undo the two plugs, loosen the side mounts and it is off in seconds, then cover my plugs...

I find the Garmins very simple to use, and I need that :doh:

True, I think Garmins are more user friendly.

I like using the Garmin Homeport on my computer to enter all my waypoints; easily transfer to the SD card, then to my unit, done. :clap:
It's also pretty cool to to see all your waypoints on Google earth.  :biggrin:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Good to hear. Garmin Homeport sounds like it works like the Humminbird PC.

Will it work on an Apple ?

Does Lowrance have a program like that ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Lowrance/Simrad =  Navico Insight Planner.

Raymarine = Raymarine Voyage Planner (actually a version of the Fugawi commercial GPS software).

You can buy Fugawi and Nobletec software separately, and manage files for any unit that supports .gpx format (pretty much everything these days).  I like the Raymarine/Fugawi software because they support the free NOAA raster charts... no need to buy separate maps, and you can import maps with some details that are not available on Bluechart/Navionics (like bottom composition).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

None work on an Apple.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

They should if you run a Windows emulator.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I'm going to have to call the Geek Squad.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mooch

Actually Garmin Homeport does run on Mac. 

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7265

If you aren't able to open app because it wasn't downloaded from the App Store, you will need to adjust settings in System Preferences to open.  Foer whatever reason Homeport is not available thru App Store.  Here's a cheezy video explaining how to allow app open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQP_R7bBS28
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

croaker stroker

Thanks Guys. I did a little reaserch and found that I have a program on my Mac that allows me to run Windows (BootCamp) I have a lot of windows programs that I could load onto my Mac like my Evinrude Tuning Program, Photoshop, Illustrator, Auto Cad, etc.

So which Windows do I buy ?  Looks like there are a few for sale like Windows 7  Pro, or Windows 10 ?? .....and will they work with the older programs that I have on Windows XP ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mooch

Friends don't recommend emulators to friends.  ;)
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Threeweight

Old stuff tends to work on newer versions of Windows, but new stuff doesn't wok on old versions.  Windows 10 is a huge upgrade in terms of stability and speed over XP or 7.  Just turn off all the tracking crap Microsoft includes.

--- Hunter S. Thompson