News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Dropping and retrieving anchor was easy

Started by Fisherdv, December 20, 2017, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

No problem with that carabiner.   Even if it touches the boat, it would never do so hard enough to do any damage; that thing has no sharp edges.  The tether lies along the starboard walkway and I simply keep it wrapped around that little wood support stanchion.  The excess line and carabiner sit in the lower starboard storage shelf.........simple. 

Here's the thing:   If I try to anchor without this tether, (after setting the anchor) I have to manhandle the excess line around my canvas bows and VHF antenna, which is mounted on the starboard side, just about where the side and front windshield intersect.  Then I have to stretch to reach the cleat?  Just can't do it.........forget about the bow roller.  All the while, the boat might be moving along in some substantially strong wind or current?  :hoboy:   No way am I ever doing that again. 

What would facilitate anchoring with these Arimas is if they designed some kind of step in the cabin opening.  I made this suggestion years ago but never heard anything on it.  My thought at the time was to have some kind of built-in assembly that would be mounted to the bulkhead panels and perhaps slide out of the way when not in use.   See........it's like I said years ago:  Arima needs me.......they just don't know it. :jester:

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, you are correct that my anchoring method will not work with the canvas up. With no canvas it's really easy. No extra dangling lines or added steps. But, I will give your method a try. Next time I'm at Westmarine I'll pick up a 15 ft dock line with eye splices  on both ends. I already have a good SS caribiner. Wait a minute, how do I get off the anchor in a hurry that way??? With my method I just reach forward and unhook the rope on the bow cleat and let all the line feed out and over, I have a float ball on the end of the anchor rope. I really need that option especially Sturgeon Fishing, and for safety reasons. :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

I think you'd simply attach a ball to the loop you make.  Meaning the loop you attach to the carabiner.  You would then power forward and unhook the tether and dump the excess anchor line overboard.  If your going to let go of your anchor, wouldn't you be running the motor?  Would it even be safe to unhook without having that motor running?  :shrug9: 

I suppose the question is; how much more time would it take to unhook under both scenarios.  The way I see it, either way, you should start that motor.  So.....that's a wash.  Now, under the method you're describing, you go (or reach) forward and unhook the line from the cleat, right?  Okay, but in order to do that, you might still have to power forward a bit to relieve the pressure from that anchor line...........no?  See.............we're getting close aren't we? 

BTW, I'm not sure if you can get an off-the-shelf line with two eye splices; especially one as specifically long as you'd like.   I learned to splice from Chapman's and always had to make my own. 

Yat

You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)