News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Dropping and retrieving anchor was easy

Started by Fisherdv, December 20, 2017, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

One of the reasons I bought my Hewes over other tin cans is the stand-up potty area with a privacy curtain in the cabin for the ladies and the pee-shy.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

I haven't had a good laugh like this in a while! Thx guys! :clap: :beerchug:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Stage fright is the worst. It never fails when you gotta go and nothing happens 
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

StreamFixer

WOW!!! talk about egos...  you guys really think that little thing is going to frighten other fishermen???   :hoboy:   :stirthepot:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Fisherdv

HAhahah! I mean, think about it; the hog line is completely silent, everyone staring at there pole tip waiting for a nibble, and then your the only one in the line standing  :shrug9: :redface: :redface: :redface: :jester:

StreamFixer

Well, it's the long time spent digging through the layers, then the inevitable search ...  At that point, they're just jealous of your success...   :dance:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

Quote from: StreamFixer on December 22, 2017, 04:41:49 PM
WOW!!! talk about egos...  you guys really think that little thing is going to frighten other fishermen???   :hoboy:   :stirthepot:

StreamFixer

Last time out, we had a couple of Makos circling the boat.  This is one time a short pole comes in handy. :stirthepot:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 22, 2017, 05:04:44 PM

Quote from: StreamFixer on December 22, 2017, 04:41:49 PM

StreamFixer

Last time out, we had a couple of Makos circling the boat.  This is one time a short pole comes in handy. :stirthepot:

Wow, you would need a short,and stout pole with a lot of backbone for that!😳

croaker stroker

My fishing buddy actually hooked him ....and fought him....until he closed his mouth.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 22, 2017, 05:54:19 PM

My fishing buddy actually hooked him ....and fought him....until he closed his mouth.
Did you guys get to see him jump? Those things are crazy

Fisherdv

I've hooked a couple of thresher sharks before, those things jump like marlin :shark:

Yachter Yat

Those big sharks can be a formidable opponent. I imagine they could really raise hell with a nice new shiny boat as well.  If those teeth didn't cut the line before getting too close, I'd be willing to bet things could get nasty.  Keep those cutters handy.  :whistle:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on December 22, 2017, 06:03:33 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 22, 2017, 05:54:19 PM

Did you guys get to see him jump? Those things are crazy

I don't think he knew he was hooked.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I will be fishing on anchor tomorrow for Sturgeon in a good current. I would like to put up the full canvas top as it's going to be in the low 30's in the morning. Probably not that cold for some and I wouldn't mind, but I'm coming down with a cold or the flu and really wanted to get out there. The method I mentioned in the first post is not going to work with the top up so I need another way. I was thinking what if I took a rope and looped it over the bow cleat and through the bow roller as Yat mentioned, and take the other end of that same rope and loop it over the cleat on the starboard side rear of the boat, for the anchor rope, put a D-ring on the end and slide it on the first rope that runs from the bow roller to the rear side cleat, drop anchor over and let the current pull the anchor rope to the bow roller. To retrieve, drive forward till the anchor D-ring comes to the side of the boat and pull it up from there. This may be similar to what has been mentioned? Do you guys think this would work without having the SS D-ring scratch the side of my gel coat?

Fisherdv

Yat, this is probably very similar to what you described, but I need a way to get off anchor in a hurry. So with the way I mentioned above I would put a float ball attached to the D-ring on the anchor rope , then to get off anchor, just untie the first rope at the rear cleat  :shrug9:

StreamFixer

Anchor to bow roller then to cleat along any of the gunnels will have you somewhat sideways in the current.

If you wish to hang straight in the current, you will need to go anchor to bow roller then cleat in line with the keel and tie off.  One of our posters made an arrangement on his boat to be able to control the anchor from the drivers seat by cutting holes in the deck.  Another option if you are so inclined. 

If you wish to retrieve from the cockpit of the boat, attache a second line to a loop in the anchor line with a slack line back to one of the gunnel cleats.  I think that is what you mentioned a couple of posts above.  Do not allow tension in this second line while on passive anchor or you will swing.  With the D ring running free, you have an increased chance of the anchor line fouling the prop on the main.  Not very controllable, or safe, with the D ring (running free on a slack line) able to do as it wishes. 

When time to up anchor comes, pull in the second line, from the stationary loop in the anchor line, as the boat advances toward the anchor.  Get hold of the anchor line and continue to pull that in by hand, as the boat advances, until the anchor is on-board.  All while taking EXTREME care you do not foul the anchor line in the prop.  That will result in you being anchored stern to the current with the anchor pulling down on the transom.  Many a boat has been sunk that way.

Please note, when tying a loop in the anchor line with full tension anticipated to be applied to the loop knot, you will likely have a tough time getting that knot loose at the end of the day...

The primary reason the hog line fishermen use the ball is to be able to return to their position in the line.  The secondary reason is how easy it makes anchor retrieval.  An anchor hanging from a ball just seems a lot easier to get back on board than one laying on the bottom.

Stream Fixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fisherdv

Thanks SF, appreciate the tips. I'll have to experiment a bit. There's a series of king tides this weekend. When the tide turns and starts heading out there will be 11 feet of water movement from high to low :bigshock: The outgoing tide is going to be rippin! High is 10.75, to a low of -1.75. I may just have to do without the canvas up and just anchor as in the first post. That fast of a tide may not be a good time for experimentation

Yachter Yat

I think what complicates this is the need to "get off anchor in a hurry".  Not criticizing, but simply stating what your needing to do.  If that's the case, then the slip ring and ball idea might be the way to go.  That said, I still feel my solution (with the 15 foot tether) is the simplest. Only problem is, it involves motoring forward to retrieve.  Then again, there's no reason why you couldn't attach a ball at the point you make the loop in the anchor line as described in my post.......is there?  Now that I think about it, I honestly believe having that float ball would make retrieval a hellavalot quicker. Remember, you still have to start that motor, no matter what......right?  As I see this, the only downside might be the extra line (meaning that which was unused and kept on deck) goes in the water.  Now if that happens to be something like a hundred feet of extra line, I guess you might have to consider the potential problem it could create for your "neighbors"......if you get my drift.   

Maybe I'm not explaining this clearly.  Okay......let me try this:  Let's say you have 200 feet of anchor line, and from the float to the anchor, you happen to be using 100.  Then, in that case (when you ditched-it), there would be 100 feet left floating-away as you chased whatever you were chasing.  Certainly something to consider.

Here's another thing:  I don't know how much anchor line you guys carry, but I have 150 feet.  Obviously, I never anchor in very deep water.  After all, it's only a 16 foot boat. Further, that 150 is actually two lines......a 50 and a 100.  My lines are eye-spliced, and one end always has a stainless shackle affixed for quick attachment.  Since we generally anchor in fairly shallow water, I almost always find myself using the 50.  If I ever get in trouble, then the 100 can be quickly attached.  My only concern is (in the event of a power failure) having enough to stop me from crashing into some rocky shore.  I always felt 150 would put the brakes- on long before that ever happened. 

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

When dropping your anchor line (usually 300') the excess rode is contained in a anchor line bag (mesh bag made specifically for that purpose.  This eliminates the probability of your, or someone elses, line fouling your prop when you return...

Basically a different method of fishing... 

Yat, PM me your address and I'll send you a CD titled Anchor Fishing for Salmon and Steelhead.  Very informative for those who have not experienced a hog line and the rivers/currents our fish pass through...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fisherdv

I got to try anchoring my 16 SC in some real current in the bay. Very large king tides today. So far the best and easiest way for me to anchor my little 16 is how I described in the first post. The only hiccup was at the last spot I anchored with rippin outgoing tide, I went to pull up the anchor and it was stuck so hard in the clay mud bottom that I almost ripped my arms off :doh: I tried hooking the anchor on the bow cleat and driving forward and it still wouldn't budge. I was scared I might rip my bow cleat off so I tried by hand again and after a good few f-bombs I finally pulled it loose. My back is gonna be sore tomorrow. Didn't get stuck anywhere else, just this one spot and there was no snags, just hard mud and a strong tide. Did not get any Sturgeon today but they were there. Lots of big marks on the fish finder, and a few huge jumpers right behind the boat. That's how it goes sometimes with Sturgeon fishing.

Fisherdv

I gotta say, this boat fishes very well on anchor. Stable, and the boat stays nice and straight in a current. However, there wasn't much wind today either.

Yachter Yat

Fisher;   What are you using for an anchor, and how much chain are you running?   I ask because sometimes a big anchor can be tough to retrieve.  Not only that, but not really necessary on these small boats.  I'm running a Fortress FX7 with probably no more than 4 feet of chain.  Never had any problems holding, but I never anchor in very deep water very strong currents.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

I almost bought that same Fortress FX7 at west marine a few months ago. I really like the light weight of it. Not cheap, and not sure such a light anchor would hold in some of the stronger bay/river currents. Right now I'm using a similar style anchor that says number (8) on it with about 8 ft of chain. I usually don't have a problem retrieving it but I think with that really strong tide yesterday it dug in deep. Mud bottom with lots of little clam shells in it. But, I think I will purchase the FX7 to try just because I like the light weight of it. I just worry a bit with all those bolts holding it together that a few would come loose

Yachter Yat

I suppose it would be smart to check now and then.  That said, after over 20 years,  I've never had anything come loose on my Fortress. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Fisherdv, does your anchor have a break-away chain where the chain is bolted to the base of the anchor but you use zip ties at the top? This really helps on stubborn anchor holds and is the main feature of the rocker anchors so you never have to worry about leaving an anchor behind.

A couple of tips which apply more to hog lines when anchored: You can pull your rode in a couple of feet and wrap it around one of the cleat adjacent to the bow to shift your position to starboard or port. Similarly, you can turn your outboard one direction or the other to move you about three or four feet over.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.