News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Dropping and retrieving anchor was easy

Started by Fisherdv, December 20, 2017, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I really thought I would have trouble dropping and retrieving the anchor on my 16 SC. It's actually really easy. I drop the anchor from the side of the boat, tie a loop in the rope, then reach through the middle windshield and put the Loop over the bow cleat. To retrieve, I reach through windshield, unhook the rope, walk over to the side, and pull it up from there. No crawling on bow, no stool.  I did it in current too. It may be more difficult in rough water, especially pulling up from the side. Wouldn't want to have the boat sideways pulling up in rougher water, or very strong current, but flat, to moderate water it seems to work fine
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

I will be Sturgeon fishing for the next few months on anchor, so hopefully this method works out well

Rokefin

I have yet to use the anchor on the 17 Chaser, if/when I ever need to I may do the same thing, but with the skip top I have no problem grabbing the bars on the skip top and maneuvering to the front  of the boat.

Where do you do most of your sturgeon fishing, the river or the bay?

Fisherdv

Quote from: Rokefin on December 20, 2017, 04:25:13 PM
I have yet to use the anchor on the 17 Chaser, if/when I ever need to I may do the same thing, but with the skip top I have no problem grabbing the bars on the skip top and maneuvering to the front  of the boat.

Where do you do most of your sturgeon fishing, the river or the bay?
Both the bay, Delta, or river. Depending on tides and water temperature

AJFishin

I'll have to give that a try when I put my new bow anchor roller on. Tired of crawling through the window too, what a PITA, my shins will appreciate it too  :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Threeweight

That works in places with light current.  Don't try it here in the Columbia River with the current screaming along at 4-5 mph  :bigshock:

There are several threads on anchoring closed bow boats in a current.  Your method works, as long as you don't need to get off anchor in a hurry.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Quote from: Threeweight on December 20, 2017, 05:07:19 PM
That works in places with light current.  Don't try it here in the Columbia River with the current screaming along at 4-5 mph  :bigshock:

There are several threads on anchoring closed bow boats in a current.  Your method works, as long as you don't need to get off anchor in a hurry.
If I need to get off anchor quick to chase a fish I could just unloop rope from bow cleat. I have a float ball on the end of the anchor rope

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on December 20, 2017, 05:01:42 PM
I'll have to give that a try when I put my new bow anchor roller on. Tired of crawling through the window too, what a PITA, my shins will appreciate it too  :jester:
AJ, I just put the loop in the rope over the bow cleat. I'm about 6ft tall and I cannot reach all the way to the bow roller. I have the split bow rails so not a problem. It would also make it very hard to get off the anchor quick if I put the rope in the roller

Yachter Yat

Fisher:

There's an easier way.  Here's how:   For your 16, make-up a 5/8" dock line about 15 feet long with two backspliced loops.  Loop one end on the forward cleat and pass it through the bow roller with the closer pin.  Connect a stainless carabiner to the other loop.  The line is kept along the gunwale when not in use, with the carabiner end secured on deck.

When anchoring, simply toss-out the anchor as appropriate, then make that loop you mentioned in the anchor line and connect it to the carabiner.  Throw it overboard.  Any extra line can simply sit on deck, under the seat and out of the way. When retrieving, simply motor forward in such a way that the line comes up to the side; close enough to be picked-up........either by hand or with a boat hook. 

Didn't take me too many trips, busting my hump going forward, before I got smart. 

Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fishin Machine

Fisherdv, I anchor from the inside of the boat without climbing to the front. There is a old thread called Arima's anchoring issue dated February 12, 2016. I have several photos how my anchoring systems works. I live in Elk Grove if you would like to come by and see it. The design was copied from a older Arima person named LVRWURST.

I usually fish for sturgeon in Cache Slough, Rio Vista, Pittsburg and Montezuma Slough.

Arima's anchoring issue
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=11189.0
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

Quote from: Fishin Machine on December 20, 2017, 08:07:34 PM
Fisherdv, I anchor from the inside of the boat without climbing to the front. There is a old thread called Arima's anchoring issue dated February 12, 2016. I have several photos how my anchoring systems works. I live in Elk Grove if you would like to come by and see it. The design was copied from a older Arima person named LVRWURST.

I usually fish for sturgeon in Cache Slough, Rio Vista, Pittsburg and Montezuma Slough.

Arima's anchoring issue
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=11189.0
FM, I fish the same areas as well as a few others. I read through some of those threads a few months ago and haven't had the need yet for the anchor. Some of those examples seem kinda complicated to me with all the ropes, shackles and carabiner (I don't even know what a caribiner is) and dangling ropes. I guess I'll have to go back through and read those threads again. I've been so busy lately I haven't had the time to really try it. As you know, that deep, fast water in Cache slough can be tough to hold bottom on anchor, not to mention the debris and tree size logs that can come down

Mooch

Not sure if this would work in rivers, but seems similar to what's been described:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4G0IlWwcE
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxr9itfVk
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on December 20, 2017, 05:56:31 PM
AJ, I just put the loop in the rope over the bow cleat. I'm about 6ft tall and I cannot reach all the way to the bow roller. I have the split bow rails so not a problem. It would also make it very hard to get off the anchor quick if I put the rope in the roller

I would mainly use this quick to release method, on calm days, when I fishing an oil rig and I can not leave anything behind, since technically I'm illegally anchored near the rig.  So I need something that's quick to retrieve so I can GTFO when I see the oil rig boat coming in. Usually the captain has some nice words he likes to share with me when he's motoring in   :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

FM, I forgot to mention thanks for the offer to come look at your setup. If I know I'll be passing by that way I might send a PM through to ya

Fisherdv

croaker stroker

Quote from: AJFishin on December 20, 2017, 09:02:32 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on December 20, 2017, 05:56:31 PM

I would mainly use this quick to release method, on calm days, when I fishing an oil rig and I can not leave anything behind, since technically I'm illegally anchored near the rig.  So I need something that's quick to retrieve so I can GTFO when I see the oil rig boat coming in. Usually the captain has some nice words he likes to share with me when he's motoring in   :jester:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Mooch on December 20, 2017, 08:49:59 PM
Not sure if this would work in rivers, but seems similar to what's been described:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4G0IlWwcE
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxr9itfVk
Thanks for the videos Mooch. I know a lot of people use that technique, but it just seems like a lot going on with doing it that way :shrug9: Although with the larger Arimas that may be the only way besides a windless

Yachter Yat

Sorry guys, but looking at those videos would be enough to discourage anybody. :hoboy:   IMO, it's just way too much gear for accomplishing a simple job on a small boat.  Read my post again, then sleep on it. 

BTW, I discovered an easy way to pull anchor from the side of a boat, in a river with a current, is to have someone at the helm, keeping the boat parallel to that current while motoring slowly forward.    Worked for me.   :shrug9:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Both the U-tube links show anchoring with a plough anchor.  The lower shows retrieving with a float. 

In the Willamette and Columbia (both big current rivers) we must use around a 30# gravel anchor.  Shaped like a "T" with 'rockers' at each end of the cross on the T.  The a small chain is secured from the cross point of the T to the bottom with the chain secured with a break away zip tie (around 70#.  This allows the anchor to be lifted by the cross point if stuck.  From the small chain we secure 10 to 20 feet of 3/8 regular chain then the anchor rode (rope).  It is not uncommon to find yourself anchoring in a 'hog' line in order to get your lure close to a sweet spot.  The downside of that is that when you get a fish on, you do not want to fight it in proximity to other peoples rigging, so you must drop out of the hog line.  That is not the time to pull your anchor. 

Thus we have developed a variety of systems for dropping and retrieving our anchors without having to pull the.

Yat, if that would be too much work, or too complicated, you will miss some of the best fishing areas on our rivers.

To each his own.

The system Woody posted several years ago works quite nicely, however, you need to do it a couple of times before it is no longer 'complicated'

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Fixer;  When you get a fish on, you must "drop out of the hog line"?  Not sure if I'm familiar with the "hog line" thing, but does that mean that when you hook-up you have to release your anchor?  :shrug9:  What happens then?  Do you "chase" this fish around the "not-so-crowded" areas of the river?  I suppose that's where the float comes-in?   :shrug9:  Aaah don't know.  :hoboy:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

BTW..........Seeing Mooch's YouTube clip with the Arima reminded me:  There's only one sound I like better than hearing long fingernails being dragged across a blackboard..........and that's the sound of anchor chain being raked across gel coat.   :doh:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 21, 2017, 08:52:02 AM
    Fixer;  When you get a fish on, you must "drop out of the hog line"?  Not sure if I'm familiar with the "hog line" thing, but does that mean that when you hook-up you have to release your anchor?  :shrug9:  What happens then?  Do you "chase" this fish around the "not-so-crowded" areas of the river?  I suppose that's where the float comes-in?   :shrug9:  Aaah don't know.  :hoboy:

Yat

Yat, you don't have to drop out of the hog line but imagine if your fish tangles in someone else's line. They wouldn't be happy but worse yet, it's an easy way of losing your salmon.

The second reason fro dropping out is so that you're not fighting the fish in the current although with the barbless hook rule in the river, the current is your friend.

Lastly, you want to have control of your boat to manage the line so that's the first stays out in front of the fisherman.

All that being said, I fished a great season right under the I5 bridge about 6 years ago and we never dropped out. With all of the sea lions, you want to get the salmon to the boat as quickly as possible. Dropping out just wastes time and gives the sea lion time to find your fish.

Here's a fish from that year. It was a great year!   :cha:

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

Danno, thanks for that.  Guess I'm just not familiar enough with your river fishing techniques out there.   Great pic, BTW.  Happy face and nice fish.......doesn't get any better. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Threeweight

Re: not dropping off anchor and fighting fish... that works as long as the current isn't ripping.  I've lost fish at Coon Island on Multnomah Channel, and at the end of the Channel in front of St. Helens, to pulled hooks because the current just gives the fish too much leverage.  The other issue is safety... in typical spring chinook fishing conditions here, we often get high flows that will move logs and debris down river.  These things don't make a sound, and don't have much profile above the water.  I really like being able to dump anchor and get the heck out of dodge instantly if I need to.

Anchoring is not the strong suit of Arima's.  It's the main reason I bought my tin can vs. a Sea Legend.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Peddler

Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 21, 2017, 08:52:02 AM

Yat

Not sure that "Hog Line" has been defined for you yet.

A "Hog Line" is line of boats, anchored side x side x side in close proximity to each other, sometimes 6-12 boats wide or more, the line of boats perpendicular to the river current, and presumably to the expected path of the up-migrating salmon.  Not sure where the term originated, but here's a pic

Wishin' I was Fishin'