Author Topic: Update on farmed escapees  (Read 671 times)

Offline 1RV4

Update on farmed escapees
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »
Short article on where some of the escaped farm fish from the summer got to. They seem to be surviving in the wild just fine!   http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article189182914.html

Offline Zarn

Re: Update on farmed escapees
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
Nature always finds a way to survive and procreate. I would not be at all surprised if these fish "co-mingled" with the local breezers at some point.
87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years.

Their illegitimate action will neither scare nor distract one single member from our mission to stand and defend the individual freedoms that have always made America the greatest nation in the world.

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »
Its a shame everyone involved in fish rulemaking didn't allow more aggressive fishing techniques. Treble hooks , snag gear, nets etc.  For the 10 farmed escapees, I caught, I had a total of 20-30 hookups that could have ended in caught fish if things were different.  I asked WDFW for a reprieve on gear near the pens and they responded 2 weeks later with a shrug citing NOF.   :shrug9:  At this point I hope they breed and create an edible invasive species that we are "allowed" to fish for. 

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Really sad example again of the lack of accountability for those with the juice to buy off our supposed representatives.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
There is zero threat of atlantics spawning in the wild. This pen breach pales in comparison to the more than half million escapees in the 90s. There was no fallout whatsoever then, and there is none now. It’s also not widely known that there have been a few official attempts to raise and RELEASE atlantics in WA that totally failed.

Not saying this because I love fish farming in my backyard, just because it’s a gigantic red herring that both conservation zealots and fish farm competitors (tribes) are using to get political traction. They are not being forthright about their objectives.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »
Hah! I can't believe I"m getting drawn into this debate.  I secretly love it.  I find it fascinating.

Yeah, kind of a testament to Columbia river chinook.  Green river chinook are the strain in the great lakes.  But chinook and coho are far heartier than atlantics.

Atlantics have had hundreds of opportunities to reproduce naturally in the NW (actually many millions if you counted each fish), and despite our best efforts it just hasn't happened.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/millions-of-atlantic-salmon-introduced-to-b-c-streams-since-1905

I am not sure why everybody is so convinced that THIS time it's definitely going to happen.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:05:09 PM »
Im not losing any sleep over it.  Want to lose some sleep?

Northern Pike in the Columbia.  WDFW turns a blind eye to bass and walleye in the Columbia...with Northern Pike the next invasive species coming down river.

Salmon fed, world class northern Pike....yippee!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8