News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Removing Vinyl Boat Numbers

Started by Arimadrifter, December 07, 2017, 06:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arimadrifter

I bought my 1991 Arima in Washington last August and sent the required paperwork and check to get my Oregon registration, numbers and tags. Well after 3 months, they arrived yesterday. I need to remove the old vinyl numbers and tags off the boat so I can put the new ones on. I've don't this several times on aluminum and wood boats, but never on a fiberglass boat.
I'm looking for suggestions on getting them off without damaging and scratching the hull.
All help is much appreciated!

Greg
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

gar143

Electric hairdryer. Warm them up and they will probably peel right off.
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.
19SC 2000 - 2015 115 Suz & 9.9 Suz 4 strokes
17SC 1988 - Sold

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: gar143 on December 07, 2017, 07:59:59 AM
Electric hairdryer. Warm them up and they will probably peel right off.

:yeahthat:

Heat gun will work too but you have to be more careful. Hairdryer - piece of cake. A little alcohol or acetone for any residual glue. No razor blades or scraping needed.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Arimadrifter

Markshoreline

I've removed lots of them by docking on a windy day.   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

If you have or can borrow a clothes steamer, you will find it to be the easiest way to remove vinyl stickers.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=14464.0
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Arimadrifter

Couldn't believe how easy the 26 year old stickers came off with the hairdryer. Thanks everyone!

Peddler

Quote from: Arimadrifter on December 09, 2017, 03:27:31 PM
Couldn't believe how easy the 26 year old stickers came off with the hairdryer. Thanks everyone!

They must have used quality vinyl and the boat hasn't spent a lot of time in the sun. Usually at that old, they're dry and cracked, and come off in little pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Arimadrifter

Exactly. I've taken them off other boats before and it was always difficult. These ones came off whole . The annual tags were a bit more difficult, but not too bad.

Arimadrifter

Worked like a champ. Removed old stickers and tags with the help of a hairdryer. Then used Acetone to remove residual glue. Then wiped the area down with Windex.
Hardest part was getting the numbers to line up straight. Port side looks good, Starboard side looks like I had one too many beers. I'll be buying a few extra numbers to get the Starboard side ship-shape.
Thanks everyone for the advise.

Greg

Old No7

Quote from: Markshoreline on December 07, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
I've removed lots of them by docking on a windy day.   :jester:

Late comment, but...

LOL!!! That's another way to do it!!!

I've seen some boaters take off railings, side decks and windshields too...

Even heard one guy muttering something about "The damn brakes..." as he came ROARING into the dock...  :wink:  Somehow he thought going faster than the wind would be a good thing...

Old No7

"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"