Author Topic: Arima transom/floor/stringers  (Read 444 times)

Arima transom/floor/stringers
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »
Hello; Im looking at a 2001 arima sea explorer 16, and from what ive researched im guessing it will have a wood core transom and floor. I am looking for a boat i can leave in the water most of the time (fresh water) and not have issues with any rot or anything, as i do with my current boat. I had told myself i wasnt going to buy another boat with any wood in it just due to that, but i really like the arima, so i was just wondering if anyone here has had to replace thier transom or floor before, or has had any structural issues. I sure appreciate the help.

Mark.

Offline dbhazjack

Re: Arima transom/floor/stringers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »
This may help:

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=109.0

Lots of discussion on this subject if you search the forum for wood stringers, wood transom, etc. Arima has an excellent history for hull resistance to rot. Amazing number of 1980 vintage boats still going strong.
2012 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker.

Offline neild

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've spent a lot of time pouring through this forum and have not seen or herd anyone with a delaminated transom or stringer issues. Some have said they had a soft spot where the seats bolt through the floor but because the wood is in 6" squares it doesn't spread.

I worked a few years at a repair yard where I did some rebuilds on floors, transoms and stringers. I was often asked what manufacturers stood up to time, but working at a repair yard you learn everything about bad boats and nothing about the good ones! I never knew about Arimas until I went shopping for a fishing boat.

I have a 1990 19' Sea Ranger. It has been weathered enough to need new gelcoat on the hull and the exposed wood panels and shelves needed to be replaced but has zero rot. The boat is well glassed. It's not like a carpeted or vinyl interior production boat. Arimas were made to be wet.

Because gelcoat oxidizes over time in UV I recommend keeping it waxed if it's going to sit out.

-Neil

Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the help/replies; unfortunatly i looked at the boat today and it had been dumped off a trailer around a turn and had pretty extensive damage, so no deal, it was a really cool boat though. Im going to keep my eye out for one in better shape.

Thanks again
Mark

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
Too bad Iā€™m already knee deep in my next project (not ARIMA related) because I really enjoy projects like that would be...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
9ā€™ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8ā€™ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
Here is a picture of a 2018 Sea Chaser 19 with the stringers glassed in before the liner is installed. These boats are Tanks!
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline GregE

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
Good pic!!   :applause:

Terry, when you can grab a similar photo of all the models.  I'd like the 19 and 22 for my own file.   :arms:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait