Author Topic: Suspension seat system upgrade  (Read 1429 times)

Offline BruceL2_Fish

Re: Suspension seat system upgrade
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
That is a very good point.   I actually had some bending already starting on those little hinges.   I straightened them when I was doing the Shockwave S5 install.   I have ordered some 316 Stainless Steel piano hinge for the new helm side seat box I am making and will plan to replace the hinges on the passenger side as well.
It is interesting that the way the seat box is designed on my boat, the back section for the jump seat area rest solidly on the lower box but the front section is edge to edge and only supported by the hinges.   Not sure if all seat boxes are this way.   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:37 AM »
Bruce, the thing that concerns me with the height of the seats is the higher center of gravity with sitting up that high. Visibility would be great but,  It may make the boat feel more tippy in rough water  :twocents:
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
I will find out once I get back on the water.  Worst case I end up building lower custom seat boxes.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2018, 05:06:41 PM »
Got my material back from brake form on Friday and got out to the shop today to finish welding and getting the fasteners holes in the box for the hinge and Shockwave S5.  Still need to put in holes to mount to the deck of the boat and placement of the foot rest.   hope to have it off to get blasted, primed and powder-coated this week.   Might be able to wrap this project up in a couple of weeks.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
This helm side seat box is a lower then the Arima seat box.   The foot rest will not be so high, looking at a folding one as someone mentioned.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
Looking good... one suggestion... perhaps include one of these stainless spring "hatch holders" for each box (or even a hydraulic strut).

Lid's going to be really, really heavy with the suspension + seat on it... a spring will help hold it open so you can access the storage, and will prevent it from falling all the way over and tearing the hinge out.  Strut would probably work better, but more $$ and uncertain longevity.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »

+1. The stainless spring works good.  Can’t remember why, but I also added a chain to prevent over-travel. ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
Good ideas on the lift assist, I will look into both options.  Thanks, just what I need, help spending money.   :party:
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »
The Shockwave S5 units are 20# and with the seat close to 30# so, not a bad idea to help on lifting.  Thanks for the help to think about that.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »

The spring really doesn’t help lift. When opening the lid, the spring stiffens to hold the it up. To lower the lid, you just bend the spring in the middle.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."