News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

21 hardtop dual 90s 324 hrs 40k

Started by headduck, November 29, 2017, 10:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Peddler

Neat boat. Wouldn't even be my THIRD choice for power options though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Markshoreline

A boat just like that from Ellensburg used to come to C dock in Edmonds for a month or so in the late summer/early fall. I loved how it looked but the top would move several inches side to side from the loose joints.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

mustang65fbk

I've never really been a fan of the wood hardtop nor am I a fan of the wood panels used on the older Arima's as they get really old and dirty looking rather quickly, but that's just me. There was a guy that was on Craigslist for the longest time that had a 19' that had a "custom" wood hardtop similar to this and he had his boat on there for years trying to sell it. I'm guessing the price wasn't in the ballpark for most and that's the reason it took so long to sell or maybe he pulled the ad and kept the boat? I'm not totally sure.  I also am not a big fan of having twin motors on such a small boat.  Looking on Evinrude's website they say the 90 ETEC weighs in at 390lbs, which would mean having twins would put you at 800lbs of weight in the back. A single 150 ETEC only weighs 420lbs and if you really wanted a 200 ETEC it only weighs 530lbs. I definitely wouldn't want to put a minimum of 300lbs up to possibly 400lbs of extra weight on the back of my boat if I didn't have to and I've got to think that one motor has to be cheaper than buying twins?   

:anyone:
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Speedbump

I have a '21 Hardtop with twin 90 E-Tecs.  I bought it a year ago from a forum member, and had the same misgivings as you guys, but after many days on the water, in varying conditions, I love the setup.  Maneuverability is probably the greatest benefit.  The boat will spin on it's own axis, or you can walk it sideways, even in a strong wind.  Great when you are maneuvering the boat while playing a fish too.  There is also the security of having two big engines, verses limping in on the kicker, additional trim options, and frankly, just more fun for the operator!  Twins may not be for most, but I sure like it.

I haven't noticed a stern weight issue.  The boat sits level at the waterline, but unlike this boat, I'm not running a kicker.  The port engine's idle has been set much lower than starboard for trolling, so no need for a kicker, and with much better control. 

The E-Tecs are not like older two strokes.  They are quite, don't smoke, have a built in fresh water hose hookup an auto winterization mode which fogs and shuts down the engine for storage...pretty sweet!

The wood hardtops do losen up over time if you run in a lot of chop and/or have roof mounted accessories.  The previous owner of the boat I now own, built a custom aluminum cabin with marine windows cut in.  He did an incredible job, and it is tight as a drum.  I think he did a thread on the build...T28Charlie.  Charlie has a metal fab business...I wouldn't want to guess what something like that would have cost to have done at a boat yard!
'21 HT Sea Ranger, twin 90 ETEC's

mustang65fbk

I definitely don't think twins would be for me, especially with the extra added weight in the rear... even more so with twins and a kicker on a boat that is already quite stern heavy.  The ETEC's are no doubt pretty sweet and have a ton of torque to them and will out-pull just about any 4 stroke out there from what I've seen and heard but I don't have the money to invest in them and have no need at the moment to change my Honda as it's running great, knock on wood.  Can you tilt the motors up and down separately?  It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but my uncles old Bayliner had twins and you couldn't tilt one up with the other being down.  That in combination with the weight of the boat made it so that you couldn't get up on a plane with one of the twin motors... which to me kind of takes away the whole point of having twins for a safety reason.  I mean yeah it sure is nicer to steer and drive a main motor as opposed to a kicker from the back but for something that rarely happens and with the money you'd save with one engine and a kicker?  That would be my choice.

gfakkema

I have a buddy with an ETEC. While halibut fishing last year, the exhaust was wafting over the cockpit and making us all a bit nauseous. Although the exhaust is better than older two strokes, it's still pretty pungent. The weight savings and torque on the ETEC's is great, but I still can't justify having to buy the oil. Other sites have covered the debate heavily and ETEC vs other four strokes are all pretty much equal in the long run. I just like the idea of having to maintain and get my hands on my motor(s). Maintenance let's me know if there is anything that needs attention (i.e. impeller, corrosion etc).

Also, it's been covered a ton on this site, but if you can't get the boat to plane on just one motor, is it really worth the redundancy? Essentially, if a single motor can't plane the boat, isn't it pretty much the same thing as a really big, heavy and expensive kicker?
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Speedbump

Yes, you can trim each engine independently.  True, you can't get on a plane using just one of the twins.  They aren't meant to stand alone and be redundant.   But if you are in a difficult situation where you have lost one of your mains in heavy weather, I would sure rather stay in the cabin with 90hp still under my feet, and being able to head back to port at 10 kts than relying on my kicker to keep the nose into the wind until the Coast Guard arrives.  But for every day...it's a lot easier when you do a lot of trolling, and are picking up and moving onto birds and such...no leaning over the back spontoon (and maybe jump seat) to drop and start the kicker...then pull it back up again...my back isn't what it used to be!

I don't think you would notice the extra weight.  A 200hp 4-stroke Honda weight is 588, then you add a 100+ pound kicker, cantilevered out on the back bracket and you are close to 700.  The E-tecs total 780, but it is centered and lower on the main transom.

I guess my point is, twins are pretty darn nice.  If I were buying a new boat, would I spend the extra money for twins? Probably not.  But if I was able to find a used boat with twins, verse a main and a kicker for the same price, I'd go with the twins.
'21 HT Sea Ranger, twin 90 ETEC's

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Speedbump on December 03, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Yes, you can trim each engine independently.  True, you can't get on a plane using just one of the twins.  They aren't meant to stand alone and be redundant.   But if you are in a difficult situation where you have lost one of your mains in heavy weather, I would sure rather stay in the cabin with 90hp still under my feet, and being able to head back to port at 10 kts than relying on my kicker to keep the nose into the wind until the Coast Guard arrives.  But for every day...it's a lot easier when you do a lot of trolling, and are picking up and moving onto birds and such...no leaning over the back spontoon (and maybe jump seat) to drop and start the kicker...then pull it back up again...my back isn't what it used to be!

I don't think you would notice the extra weight.  A 200hp 4-stroke Honda weight is 588, then you add a 100+ pound kicker, cantilevered out on the back bracket and you are close to 700.  The E-tecs total 780, but it is centered and lower on the main transom.

I guess my point is, twins are pretty darn nice.  If I were buying a new boat, would I spend the extra money for twins? Probably not.  But if I was able to find a used boat with twins, verse a main and a kicker for the same price, I'd go with the twins.

I guess like the other member said.  If you can't get on a plane with only one motor what's the point in having twins?  As you said, if it's nasty out it might be one thing having one main to troll back in on but if the weather conditions are that bad I'm not going to be out there to begin with and if the conditions aren't that bad I don't mind the extra half hour or whatever it would take getting back in and saving more fuel in doing so.  I disagree completely with you on on the weight savings though.  I've got a 130hp Honda 4 stroke, which is just fine for a 21' SR in that it'll do 35mph and troll slow enough for kings, that weighs 500lbs and I don't have a kicker motor.  You have to figure 780lbs, probably dry weight, for the twin ETEC's, a Honda 8hp kicker is 100lbs dry, the twin batteries are about 50lbs a piece depending on the brand and finally the weight of the fuel.  50 gallons of fuel at 6.3lbs/gallon is 315lbs just in fuel.  So to add it all up... 780lbs+100lbs+100lbs+315= 1,295lbs.  Now the boat itself per the Arima website says it weighs 2,150lbs, which is I'm guessing without fuel, so we'll say around 2,500lbs total.  I'm thinking that the weight being over 1,295lbs and hanging off the rear of the boat, or over half the weight of the boat itself, is something that you're definitely going to notice.  That and like in my situation... 500lbs for the engine, 100lbs for the batteries and 315lbs for the fuel is 915lbs.  Like I said, I'd definitely rather save close to 400lbs in weight reduction in the rear of my boat as opposed to going the twins route that you couldn't even get up on a plane with a single even if you wanted to.  Eventually I'll get a kicker, at around 100lbs but for only a 21' SR at 2,500lbs or less?  No way.  If it was a 25-26' boat?  Maybe?

Hydroman

If I remember right, the MAX HP on 21' SR is 150HP.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Hydroman on December 03, 2017, 07:42:21 PM

Jim

On the Arimaboats.com website for the 21' SR HT it says they recommend a 115hp outboard but then it doesn't say what the max is... it says "HP Rating 175hp."  So I'm guessing that's maybe the max?  Some of the other models have a max power line but some of those are even messed up where one says "48."  Which is I'm guessing in regards to the 48 gallon fuel tank on a 21'. 

Sparhawk

Quote from: Hydroman on December 03, 2017, 07:42:21 PM

Jim
Just checked the website and they have it set at 175HP. Still 5 HP over unless they have a short bracket but I doubt it.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Markshoreline

My 21 HT came with a max HP sticker of 150, but the formulas have changed so newer boats have a 175 sticker.  However, Arima recommends a 115 and the boats perform well with that power if not overloaded.  The hull design really does allow fewer HP than most other boats on the market.

wedocq

I have a Suzuki DF175 on my 21'er, and it's a speed demon! Haha. I have had it up to 43mph, and that just feels way too fast for an Arima.  :whistle:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Markshoreline

That's fast!   What is the fastest Arima we know of?   Maybe 45 on a 22 with 225?

Chief of the Boat

The SeaStar/BayStar hydraulic steering dictates max hp on a 21SR 150 with Bay, 200 with Sea.  The fastest Arima I have ran is a 2018 Sea Legend HT with a Yamaha VF250 46.2 mph. 

DevMah

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Omega3

I hit 46 mph on the gps last summer.Light load, top down just me in the boat going with the tide on a flat calm day.19' Ranger with 135 Evinrude.I bet the 150 G2 would push me 50 mph.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Sparhawk

Sparhawk has hit 32 mph at about 1/4-1/3 throttle. She's about 2,000-2,200 pounds with a 70 HP Evinrude. Haven't taken any longer jaunts yet and haven't had the open (semi)calm water to test max speed. Need to get a new prop that is tuned to the boat too. The one on the outboard is standard I believe.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Sparhawk

That's with a full 18 gallon tank, a 6 hp kicker, 2 people, one 180# the other 200#, a full cooler of ice, and full fishing gear.

Sparhawk:
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

DevMah

FYI

My 2015 hull decal has 175hp on for max hp.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold