News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

ArimaOwners Hosted Photos

Started by Danno, November 29, 2017, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

We have a problem with photos posted from web sites and from photo hosting sites like photo bucket. At some point in time, those photos get removed from the pages or locked out. We've lost a great deal of help-photos due to PhotoBucket going to a pay per use site. Loss of photos linked from various web sites invariably becomes dead links.

I would like to shift our process so that all photos have to be uploaded to the ArimaOwners photo galleries before they can be posted in a thread. That way, they'll never be lost.

Thoughts?

-Danno, Admin
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Fisherdv

Can personal photos from a computer or phone still be attached in a post directly, or only through the gallery?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

I think Danno is saying ALL photo's so there is no chance of losing photos at a later date.

Rokefin

It would just be another process to get the photos to a thread, I think we all could get used to it......it is aggravating to see all the photo bucket photos blocked out, kind of black mail on photo buckets part.

StreamFixer

Not all that complicated guys...  This thread under Tips and Forum Questions lays it out.  As convenient as something like photobucket?  I would not know as I think that system is pretty complicated...  From your phone?  Nope..

This is simple straight forward and it works.  Just remember to get both square brackets when you copy the link...  Even a marine caveman can do it   :biggrin:

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=130.0 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

AJFishin

I think it's a good idea, and I should be using arimaowners gallery for posting pictures, but I haven't, so I'm not 100% on how it works when moving pictures.

So I have a question?

If you upload pictures to your album named "General Pictures" on arimaowners, but then one day you rearrange your pictures and move a few pictures from your "General Pictures" to another album named "Boat Pictures", will those pictures and the links you posted in a thread awhile back be broken and not viewable because you moved them?

I bring this up because photobucket and a few other picture hosting sites links will "break", because a new link is generated for that picture if you move the picture to another album or edit the picture.

I know the best thing to do is to leave them alone, but I know personally I move pictures around to keep things organized.  :doh:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

StreamFixer

Reasonable question.  How about trying it and letting us know..

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fisherdv

Maybe my pics will not come out sideways if I go through the gallery? Or like CS said, I have to have over 1000 posts first :doh:

AJFishin

Quote from: StreamFixer on November 29, 2017, 04:01:35 PM

StreamFixer

Danno

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 29, 2017, 03:32:04 PM
Can personal photos from a computer or phone still be attached in a post directly, or only through the gallery?

You can use the attachments option but it will not accept photos over a certain size. Today's cameras put out mega-MB photos and for the internet, and to save space, the gallery software resizes the photo and lowers the resolution.

AJFishin

Quote from: AJFishin on November 29, 2017, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: StreamFixer on November 29, 2017, 04:01:35 PM

StreamFixer

I tried the test and it works. I moved the picture to another album and no link breaks  :party:

Danno

Quote from: AJFishin on November 29, 2017, 03:56:42 PM
I think it's a good idea, and I should be using arimaowners gallery for posting pictures, but I haven't, so I'm not 100% on how it works when moving pictures.

So I have a question?

If you upload pictures to your album named "General Pictures" on arimaowners, but then one day you rearrange your pictures and move a few pictures from your "General Pictures" to another album named "Boat Pictures", will those pictures and the links you posted in a thread awhile back be broken and not viewable because you moved them?

I bring this up because photobucket and a few other picture hosting sites links will "break", because a new link is generated for that picture if you move the picture to another album or edit the picture.

I know the best thing to do is to leave them alone, but I know personally I move pictures around to keep things organized.  :doh:

The ArimaOwners Gallery does not have an easy way to sort photos and move them around. Here's a test. I am posting this photo from my misc photo site:

Danno

It's still there after I deleted it. I'm liking this!

I have not upgraded the Gallery software in a long time. They charge a fee for it but this would be worth getting our gallery upgraded.

Threeweight

Since the photo-bucket fiasco, and some of the challenges with using Google photos to share stuff, I've been using my Arima gallery this way already. 

Dan, is there any issue with storage and bandwidth fees?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Some of these remarks have become a bit testy guys...  Do we need to dial it back???

StreamFixer   :stooges:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

The risk of losing the tremendous resource that our pics represent would make it worth the effort to convert.
Do we need to do a little fundraiser to cover the costs?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Danno

Quote from: Threeweight on November 29, 2017, 04:18:10 PM
Since the photo-bucket fiasco, and some of the challenges with using Google photos to share stuff, I've been using my Arima gallery this way already. 

Dan, is there any issue with storage and bandwidth fees?

I was worried when I first created this forum but after 7 years, I haven't run into any problems and if we get short on space, I'll just buy more space.

7 Years!

Danno

Quote from: Markshoreline on November 29, 2017, 05:02:32 PM
The risk of losing the tremendous resource that our pics represent would make it worth the effort to convert.
Do we need to do a little fundraiser to cover the costs?

I'm not sure what you mean by convert but if your talking about finding all of the posts with non-ArimaOwners.com photos, there's no easy way to do it. You would have to search every post and look at the URL for each photo. Ugh. I can barely keep up with all of the posts here let alone go back and look at them again.

Fisherdv

Are you still selling the floating key fobs to raise funds for the site? If so I'll take one

Markshoreline

Convert them to gallery based pics rather than from outside sources...  Not good if the host changes their policies and our pics disappear.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dbobby23

Has anybody been able to create a personal gallery or add pictures to a personal gallery from an IPhone?
I don't even see an option to finish step 2 or 3 of the instructions using my phone. I don't own or have access to a computer.
I use the super easy to use free iPhone app (Resize it)to reduce my pictures to 640-853. After resizing the photo, you save the new resized image back on to your phone. I then own that new resized picture and without any worry that they might want the rights back in the future. I then post the picture from my personal photos on my phone to the group. If anybody has any suggestions how I can setup personal gallery on my iPhone I'd appreciate it. Thanks
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

croaker stroker

I use an iPhone and iPad to add pictures to my gallery. No problem.

You don't really have to do much to set it up. From your iPhone Just go to ... Gallery>My Gallery>Add Picture.  ....or "Add Category > Add Picture"
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Marine40

I remember paying for the software gallery when we started this site. Are we still using what was paid for or do we need to upgrade again?

Darren
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Ssericz

Upgrade the system so it auto resizes pictures or allows pictures of any size to be posted

All my posts have no pictures now Bc I was forced to use crap bucket which charges now.

StreamFixer

Quote from: Ssericz on November 30, 2017, 12:31:59 AM
Upgrade the system so it auto resizes pictures or allows pictures of any size to be posted

All my posts have no pictures now Bc I was forced to use crap bucket which charges now.

Or you could figure out how to do this.  You may not have noticed, but there are no ads, or charges to the membership to use this site.  Upgrades often cost $$$.  We run from sales of stuff like caps, key chains and a couple of generous donations from things like Woody's estate...

We have never 'forced' anyone to use any particular method to post pictures.  The system that is in place now, has been in place since we initiated this site in Jan. 2011.  Please note the date of the post explaining how to use our system http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=130.0 .  Fishing eagle made that post soon after we initiated the site.  It seems to have worked well since...

StreamFixer  :stooges:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade