Author Topic: Arima Ranger 19' Deck Construction  (Read 184 times)

Offline wengayoo

Arima Ranger 19' Deck Construction
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
Hi All,
I'm looking at a 1999 Arima 19' Ranger for sale that has a ~1' x 2' squishy soft spot on the deck in front of the starboard battery compartment and adjacent to the fish hold.  It seems perhaps something very heavy may have been dropped on the deck, but the other possibility is dry rot on the inside, or is it?  The owner has not bothered with repair, just fished with it.  I was wondering how the deck is constructed underneath.  Is there wood, or foam core and fiberglass? Is there anything that could decompose?  After talking with a fiberglass boat repair guy, he said there could be a big difference in repair price if there a moisture-related dry rot type of situation.  There is no sign of any moisture when stepping on the spot.  I would appreciate any input.  Thanks very much.

Online Diablo

Re: Arima Ranger 19' Deck Construction
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
Foward of battery compartment? I’d guess a battery got dropped which probably damaged the fiberglass and crushed the foam creating a void. There should not be any wood in that part of the boat.
I would drill a hole inject suitable foam then reseal the hole. If that doesn’t work I would think you could cut it out add new layers of glass and resin on underside. Then glass the piece back in place.  :twocents:

Check these photos of Arima hull and liner assembly.

http://www.arimaboats.com/construction/
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Online StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Arima Ranger 19' Deck Construction
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »
I recommend you get this question to Chief of the Boat so he can discuss with Don...  Then the speculation will be minimized.

StreamFixer

FYI, Don has been in on Arima construction for more than 30 years, and the Chief (having access to Don) helps with this sort of stuff
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'