News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

humminbird 798ci si combo

Started by lloyds, November 28, 2017, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyds

Anyone on here have one of these with the sidescan?  I purchased a 15' 11" sea explorer that has one on it but it doesn't have any chips.  The depth and sidescan seem to work decently but there are no maps.  I have two choices, either buy a used or new garmin of which I have had several over the years and really like or buy a navionics plus chip. Any input would be appreciated.
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

I have the 788HD

If yours is like mine, it should have the Humminbird map in the system even with no "chips". You may have to go into the settings to switch from the map on the card to the internal map. You can go to the Humminbird website and download the manual. You can also update the unit on the website and download the "Humminbird PC" software which lets you work with your fishing Spots on your computer. You can also open them in Google Earth with the Humminbird PC Software. There may still be waypoints from the previous owner which you can save to a blank card/chip, then transfer to your computer with the HPC software.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

Thanks croaker.  Mine has a map but no depths or detail.  I can follow my trail but there just isn't enough detail to do anything. 
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

I have an old fish-n-chips map. It has 1' detail in most areas.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Any Navionics chip should work.  That unit is ok... smallish screen, but a lower end (sub $500) Garmin isn't really going to give you much of an improvement.  I would look into a Navionics+ chip/download option.  You can select high-detail maps (better than the old Fish-n-chip) for the areas you want to fish, and you don't have to pay the full price for a chip that covers the entire West Coast.

FYI... Garmin just bought Navionics.  A lot of concern they may shut down access to future mapping products for their competitors.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

lloyds

Thanks.  I'll look into that.  Not a computer pro but might be able to find it and figure it out.
1997 sea explorer

lloyds

Went ahead with the navionics card.  Bought the wrong one.  You have to have a "platinum" version to get text that the normal person can read.  Totally ticked.  Why would a manufacturer put out a product that has text too small to read?  Humminbird says "sorry".  Navionics says "should have spent more money".  Done with both.
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

Spot depths, nav aids, etc.  Navionics chip has tide tables but first you have to find a diamond with a colored "t".  That will require some really strong reading glasses. 
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

I never noticed small numbers.  Guess I'll have to pay attention next time out.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

It's only a problem on the 700 series humminbirds.
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

Are you using a navionics chip with the western states or did you buy a platinum chip?
1997 sea explorer

croaker stroker

I have an old Navionics "Fish-n-Chip" chip.

The Numbers are too small to see.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

Same problem as mine.  Strange why both navionics and hummingbird would produce a product that is difficult for the average person to read.  I have good eyesite but occasionally use glasses for reading fine print but this problem is beyond fine print.  Thanks for the reply.   Now I wish I would have bought a used garmin for the mapping. 
1997 sea explorer

Rokefin

You just can't miss with a Garmin

croaker stroker

Garmin....

Can you edit waypoints on your computer ?

How easily does it come on/off of the boat ? If you take it off the boat...What do you do with the plugs ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

lloyds

Never have tried it with garmin or hummingbird.  I fish a relatively limited area offshore and just a handful of lakes so with garmins' ability to store like 1000 waypoints never been a problem.  One thing about the hummingbird that I think I will like is the ability to shade certain depths.  Ability to find high and low spots without having to mentally interpret.
1997 sea explorer

Dbobby23

Quote from: lloyds on December 19, 2017, 01:58:20 PM
Never have tried it with garmin or hummingbird.  I fish a relatively limited area offshore and just a handful of lakes so with garmins' ability to store like 1000 waypoints never been a problem.  One thing about the hummingbird that I think I will like is the ability to shade certain depths.  Ability to find high and low spots without having to mentally interpret.

I use the shaded depth feature all the time on my hummingbird 859.
I put a navionics plus card in the unit and love the easy functionality of this unit. I would like a bigger screen, that's it. maybe next year.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Rokefin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 19, 2017, 01:04:50 PM

Garmin....

Can you edit waypoints on your computer ?

How easily does it come on/off of the boat ? If you take it off the boat...What do you do with the plugs ?

I am usually adding or deleting waypoints while in action fishing, it would be nice to practice or play on the computer.

Unit is simple to remove, undo the two plugs, loosen the side mounts and it is off in seconds, then cover my plugs...

I find the Garmins very simple to use, and I need that :doh:

croaker stroker

Mine has three plugs, power, transducer, and signal to DSC radio.

How do you cover your plugs ?  (Humminbird has an accessory that covers all three)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Cover my plugs with 2 larger vacuum/water rubber nipples...

croaker stroker

I did a search for vacuum rubber nipples and got all sorts of exciting information, none of which looked Applicable.

Could you take a picture please ?

Note:  Over time, Dielectric grease gets hard and dirty and prevents a good connection.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EybmBavV4M

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

These rubber nipples cover the whole plug, pretty much just to keep solid water out.....I'll try to get a pic when I venture over to the boat.

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸