News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Kicker trade-offs

Started by Billiam, November 24, 2017, 02:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billiam

Hi there - looking for some more feedback on kicker.

Been running an early 90's 8 hp 2 stroke merc (around 80# I think) on my 17 SR and I've had it up to here with fussing over it to get it started and running well consistently.

I've got a Garelick 71090 (I think) that is mounted with some fairly beefy looking black plastic wedges. Understanding that a fixed is best - I will probably use it at least a couple more seasons with existing bracket as we have a number of other projects planned.

I'm looking at the tradeoffs between: A. Weight, B. EFI, C. Power Tilt. Cost isn't an overriding concern. Been looking primarily at Suzi and Tohatsu.

Options:
On one end of the spectrum a 9.9 around 125# with power tilt, efi. xtra long shaft.

Or at the other end of the spectrum something more like an 8hp long shaft carb with manual tilt that is closer to 90#.

Looks like there is a middle ground around 110# that would be power tilt, extra long shaft but carb.

So, all else being equal what direction would those in the know (or have traversed this road already) go?
'91 17' SR Skiptop

Markshoreline

How about having the carb worked over by a good shop then running stabil 360 in your fuel?  80 lbs is a great for a kicker if you're going to keep the bracket for a couple more years.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dbobby23

Yamaha f8 or t8 long shaft is perfect in my eyes. When you switch out to a fixed bracket the long shaft will still perform just fine if the fixed bracket is mounted just right.
If you like sitting on the back corner the Yamaha tiller handle is almost in your lap vs the Honda tiller handle sits to far back for my comfort.
I own a seahunter but fished a lot  on a 91 17ft chaser with a fixed bracket for 4 years.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Fisherdv

Quote from: Markshoreline on November 24, 2017, 07:02:45 PM
How about having the carb worked over by a good shop then running stabil 360 in your fuel?  80 lbs is a great for a kicker if you're going to keep the bracket for a couple more years.
I agree with Mark, if your gonna keep it for a bit get the carbs rebuilt/cleaned and get the fuel pump rebuilt. After run sta-bil 360 and Mercury quickleen in your fuel. I would check the compression in your motor first though
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Billiam

Quote from: Markshoreline on November 24, 2017, 07:02:45 PM

Good point. I'm planning on keeping it and working on it myself as I have a service manual and know nothing about carbs, so good learning opportunity and all breaking it down. That being said I've had enough times I have failed to get it started when I really needed to that I'm ready to get something more modern and reliable, particularly as I'd like to start taking my young children out this coming season.

I'm pretty sold on doing an XL shaft regardless of bracket - pretty sure that's what is on it now and the garelick adjusts enough I think to get the height pretty dialed in regardless of shaft size.

I guess my main question is whether or not EFI / pwr tilt are worth the extra weight? I'm just worried that 120+ pounds is a bit much for the existing bracket (particularly strapped down while trailering), and just the general extra weight in the back (do have trim tabs though so guess that would help while underway).

I am an ez-steer guy so tiller comfort isn't high priority.
'91 17' SR Skiptop

BestBoats

2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Fisherdv

I think Suzuki is the only EFI kicker currently
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Tj805

Ill give my two cents
I have a Yamaha f8 on my 17 ranger.
The motor runs great and I love it .
But I hate the weight of it .
If I could go back in time I would have gotten a 6 hp or even a 4 hp
I fish three people in my boat quite a bit and full of fuel and the kicker makes her pretty heavy I the back.
A 6 hp is going to push you just as fast as an 8 hp.
Now I have to spend the off season wiring up new gel batteries in my cuddy cabin to get weight more forward.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

rockhill

2014 Arima 21SR DF140ATL
2007 Willie Predator 20'x72" F50
2003 ATEC 24' Hydrolite DF175TL2
1992 Alumaweld 16'x54" Guide Model drift boat
1980 Glasply 16' F70

Diablo

Is power tilt worth it —- yes, but if you have a bracket you have to raise and lower it doesn't make much sense.
EFI, how much more is it? New motors start easy with a carb. Start using StaBil now to help with ethanol issues. May even get your.motor to start easier.
You never said electric start. That should be top of the list.
If cost of a new motor is not an issue I would try to budget in the bracket with the motor and be done with it. Then you can start planing how to move the batteries forward.  :twocents:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Rokefin

I wouldn't be afraid of a carburetor motor, after you rebuild it once you will be able to do it again in minimal time. I clean out my yami kicker carb every spring, it starts every time for me - electric start is the way to go.

wedocq

I remember being in your position years ago. I got fed up with the manual start and trim. Finally sprang for a power tilt, electric start T8, and have never regretted it. I know first hand how sweet those EFI Suzies are. My buddy has one and it's awesome!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Billiam

Yeah electric start / alternator is a given for me.

Thinking a 9.9hp EFI Tohatsu 20 inch may be a good compromise. No power tilt - weighs in at 106. I think this would allow me to run my current bracket setup indefinitely and keep the batteries in the back. I recently switched out my old Group 27s with 24s so have already shaved 20 pounds there so I'm only net +6 pounds give or take.  If I drink one less beer a day and with all the exercise lifting the kicker I should drop that 6 pounds easy.

Other option might be the 8hp - it's 91 pounds  - similar as above but no EFI and alternator seems pretty underpowered (6a to the 9.9's 12). Seems like the extra 15 pounds is probably worth it.

'91 17' SR Skiptop

Threeweight

I have a 9.9 Honda hi-thrust power trim, electric start on the tin can.  If I could have gotten a Hewes with a Suzi EFI, I would have (and a Suzi main to!).  I take meticulous care of my stuff, with Stabil 360 in the tank whenever it sits, but I have already had a fouled carb once with it.  I let the kicker sit a little too long unused (2 months or so) and had a jet get fouled.  Stabilizer helps, but it isn't magic.

No big deal to tear it down and clean, but I have better things to do than mess with carbs.  :twocents:

Tohatsu sounds like it will save you some $$ and weight, but when you go to sell the boat it will may have less resale value.  I'd also check and see if Trollmaster, or other infinite throttle controls, make an adapt to work with it (I'm pretty sure they do make them for the Suzi EFI's.)

IMO, I wouldn't worry about the weight difference.  Just store your downrigger balls in the bow. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Zarn

I run a 2009 carburated Honda 4 stroke, high thrust, long shaft  (approx. 98lbs) off a garlick "90" series bracket. I believe the newer EFI 8 hp's are slightly less weight. The 8 hp pushes my 17SR around well from .05 to 6 mph. all day long. The "90" series garlick fits nicely into the stock S/S arima bracket furnished with my 87' SR. I did need to re-drill the holes in the garlick after installing it to fit the existing mounting holes in bracket, nbd.

The Honda has been a solid performer with the exception carb and oil pressure light indicator module replacements under warranty in late 2010. In 2016 I replaced a worn out throttle cable and the 2nd. oil pressure module. Minor stuff ... for its overall operational life, so far.

Now as I recall the garlick "91" series bracket is too wide to fit inside the stock arima S/S bracket. I would also opt for power tilt and forward throttle controls to help alleviate "sponson butt syndrome"... lol.

And, if I was to repower I would probably go with an ETEC to match the main as it is my "personal preference".

SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Ttcustomz

On my custom weld I have the new Suzuki efi and I've owned most brand kickers in my time. Wow start it up and go with no choke to worry about is just like having power tilt or electric start once you've experienced it there's no going back. But the kicker you have will run for years if maintained and ran correctly just more creature comfort items on the newer ones. Goodluck on your search!! Oh and I recommend either yamaha or Suzuki  :dance: :dance:
1999 Arima Sea Legend twin Honda 75
2017 Custom Weld 20offshore  Suzuki 200 Suzuki FI9.9
2012 Cope Winter Harbor Honda 250
Honda T9.9