Author Topic: Pacific Northwest Salmon concerns  (Read 258 times)

Offline 1RV4

Pacific Northwest Salmon concerns
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »
Hi All
   Might be of interest to those who fish salmon in the Puget Sound and Pacific Northwest.                                                                                                      https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/11/15/2017-24686/determination-of-overfishing-or-an-overfished-condition

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Pacific Northwest Salmon concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Thank you 1RV4 for keeping an eye on these sort of announcements and keeping us up to speed.  I truly hope you continue to do so as I know I am not likely to.

That being said, here's my take...

Well thank goodness the NMFS is keeping an eye on all this.

My understanding is that when the square root of the MSST equals, or exceeds, the cube root of (the sum total of the square of the SST) added to the OFL minus the F, things will be looking up, however, that is if the MFMT is in balance with the FMP...

Given this information I too would be concerned that there are too many people making decisions about stuff they don't know squat about---   and are being well paid to remain in that state of ignorance...

StreamFixer

P.S. -- Like so many statements coming from NMFS, the notice does not really say much except they must periodically make statements that they are concerned about something ---  and we all must hold our breath until such time as they do find something definitive to say ---  i.e., the sky is falling seems to be the favored tone of their statements, which of course, justifies their jobs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:18:00 PM by StreamFixer »
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
SF I think you missed putting parentheses around a section of that equation....maannnnn now some PHD will have to go out and collect a bunch more grant money to make sure there is some sort of imagined doomsday looming. 
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »
They will just raise the price of your fishing license next year to fund the “research”
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Offline tsuribaka

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
I'm far from an expert so take this with a large grain of salt but my impression is that the Skagit Coho finding could be particularly troublesome for N Puget Sound fishing. These fish are traveling through MA9 at the same time as many other stocks not in so much perceived trouble. Because of that fishing of those other stocks may be limited in future years the same as this past year in the name of saving the remaining Skagit run.

I also find it interesting that the analysis is based on 2014-15 plus 2017 data. Unless my memory fails me the missing 2016 data correspond to the year they predicted doom for the Skagit Coho but in fact the return was quite reasonable...