Author Topic: Racor fuel filter change  (Read 476 times)

Online Fisherdv

Racor fuel filter change
« on: November 20, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
I just installed a Racor fuel filter and had a couple of questions about the filter change. 1) Will the drain on the clear bowl drain the filter completely with no vent on the top of the head/filter housing? There is no vent plug. 2) When priming the new filter do I need to fill the new filter with fuel before screwing it on, or should the bulb on the fuel line going to the motor be sufficient? I’m trying to avoid making a big mess of fuel in my bilge and do the change as clean as possible. I’m asking now so I’ll be well prepared should I have to do a filter change on the water. Thx
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Re: Racor fuel filter change
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »
When I installed mine I just used the bulb. It takes a while and helps if you hold the bulb in the correct position. I believe that is with the outlet above the inlet.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
The drain will get 90% of the gas out of the filter.  Air can get in through the threads on the drain once you loosen it.

I like to run the motor for a few minutes before I change the filter.  That way, the fuel system is fully primed.  Everything between the filter and the tank is going to lose prime when you change the filter.  You can prime it again with the primer bulb, or start the motor again and let the fuel pump prime it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
When I installed my racor fuel filter I used a quick disconnect fitting going out to the motor, and a fixed fitting on the in from the tank. I’m thinking of putting another quick disconnect fitting on the “in” side as well. That way when changing the filter you can quickly disconnect the fuel hoses from the filter with no leaks, and unscrew the two bolts holding on the filter and remove the whole filter assembly and change the filter over a bucket. No, gas spills in the bilge, and very easy to access the filter and drain the bowl.

Offline headduck

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:09:47 AM »
Good idea with the quick disconnects. Are they robust? Is there a chance they will leak? I am stupid worried about fuel leaks and compromise on the water.
1987 17' Sea Ranger 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
So far I have had no leaks at all with the QD’s. Maybe if you use them a lot they may wear out but if you use good quality QD’s shouldn’t be a problem.

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »
   Fisher:  At the risk of being overly critical;  I'm not so sure quick disconnects are the best choice for what you're doing...........especially in that confined area under the motor well.  If your goal is to simply have the ability to isolate the filter, then perhaps some high-end fuel valves would be a better choice.  Just a suggestion. 

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
I hear ya Yat. Maybe I’ll just leave the in from the tank a fixed connection, I have enough hose there to unscrew the whole filter assembly and change over a bucket as is. As far as the out line to the motor I like a QD there so I have the ability to quickly plug into a portable backup tank if necessary

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
    Okay, I hear you.  If having the option of quickly (and efficiently) connecting a spare portable tank to the motor, then one quick disconnect on the "out" side of the filter with a valve on the "in" line would be my choice.  BTW.......not a bad idea!  :applause:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60