News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

TrollMaster Pro3 or iTroll?

Started by cohosalmon, November 17, 2017, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cohosalmon

Hey trolling gang! I am determined to install one of these two units to make the salmon trolling even more comfy. I can't decide which one: 1) I like that the TrollMaster comes with a wireless remote control so I can from anywhere adjust the kicker speed (got an aft helm but only tiller control of the kicker on the other side). Unfortunately, this unit offers only infinite throttle dial and an idle/resume function, that's it. 2) I love some of the features of the iTroll, for instance that you can program a speed pattern that is surely going to attract some otherwise lazy salmon. Unfortunately this unit comes only wired and would be a dash install. They do offer aux idle buttons that I could install at the stern for quicker access but this comes only for the idle and resume function not for general throttle control.

Which would you choose? Price seems similar.

StreamFixer

Many of us have been able to find the TrollMaster 2 & 3 for around $100 (Cabela's Bargain Cave).  Mine is hard wired and has performed well for years.  I seldom try to vary troll speed once set, but the adjustments are MUCH finer than you can achieve with hand throttle.  It's biggest weakness is the solenoid.  That part is readily available at your local Radio Control Hobby store for around $25.  If you get the sturdiest they have, it will last for years.  Easy to replace.

I also have a kicker steering that can run wired or wireless.  Either works well.  That being said, I have found the wired mode is not at all inconvenient given the cockpit size we deal with (19SC).  I would not let the wireless feature dictate which unit I purchased.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

blindmonkey

I have an iTroll and it works well for my needs. It is hard wired however I also have not found that to be an issue. If you have a tiller on your kicker you can override the iTroll at any time if required, it is designed to be used that way. I have not used the tiller since I got iTroll back in 2014.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Salmon King

Unlike Russ....
I had nothing but trouble from my Trollmaster II.
I went through not 1, not 2, but 3 servos and got to troll a grand total of about 300 yards.
While the replacements are inexpensive they are a PITA to replace on the water.

I have never...let me repeat that....NEVER read or heard of an unhappy iTroll owner.
It is my understanding that they are almost bullet-proof.

If I were to do it again I would have saved my pennies until I could afford the iTroll.

I know I'm not an ARIMA owner anymore but that's my  :twocents: worth.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

Itroll, Troll Master, ControllKing, etc... all use servos on the throttle linkage, and the servos will go bad.  These things are basically the same technology used to control RC race cars and airplanes adapted to run the throttle on a kicker motor.

Had a Troll Master II on the Arima, have Controll King on the Hewes (both hard wired).  Both work great.

The varying troll speed thing sounds interesting, but don't you get the same the same random variation in actual troll speed from the effect of the wind/waves/current interact with the boat?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Terry

Were you holding your mouth right???   :bigshock:   :beerchug:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Diablo

I use the itroll. There are a couple features that mater to me. When you get a 'fish on' you can push a button and go right to idle. You still have some way on so you can still steer. Then you can go right back to the speed you were going with another push of the button. Also should you start bouncing the bottom you can push 'max throttle' and pick the ball up a little or use it for maneuvering in the fleet.
I do adjust my speed for with or against the tide or wind and sometimes try different speeds for the fish. I have a paddle wheel so I can monitor both speed through the water and GPS speed over ground.
I could see a wireless would be handy if you don't steer from the helm station as long as you can find it.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Salmon King

Quote from: StreamFixer on November 18, 2017, 01:50:17 PM
Terry

Were you holding your mouth right???   :bigshock:   :beerchug:

StreamFixer

Probably not....
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Foxsea

We have Trollmaster and EZ Steer.  3rd Boat we have used them on, since 2001.  2nd Servo so far.  Trollmaster sent me 2 new ones when 1st gave out so I carry an extra in case.  Driving from cabin has not been an issue, wireless would be nice be not be a need. 
What do you use to control steering whether you use Trollmaster or some other throttle control?
Foxsea

2015 21ft Sea Explorer
2016 150 Etec

Threeweight

Re: the ability to hit "idle" and then "resume" to the same trolling speed... my Troll Master II and Controll King both have the same feature.

The Controll King was pre-rigged by my dealer on the Hewes... I was disappointed at first, as I had never heard of the brand and it seemed quite a bit more primitive than the Toll Master and Itroll with their digital displays.  I have come to prefer it... it has little toggle switches that control the "on-off" and "idle-run" functions, and a momentary on toggle for full throttle.   In the fire drill when a fish is on, I'd often have people mis-click on the little blister-style buttons on the Troll Master and either not engage idle, or click through idle then back to run by accident.

That said, as best as I can tell once you separate the marketing hype they are all basically the same thing, with the exception of wireless control.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

BruceL2_Fish

I just ordered an iTroll with Hunt Mode and 2 remote switches that will be mounted right at my downriggers.   That way I can go into drag mode or idle from different locations on the boat.   I have been lookng at TrollMaster and iTroll for a long time and after talking to several users of both I went with iTroll.   As noted all of the systems use a servo the same way.   I just found iTroll seems to be more capable from my assessment.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

cohosalmon

Wow, opinions seem just as split as me. If iTroll only had a wireless remote it would be sooo easy! lol

DevMah

I also have the itroll

I have the hunt feature the two switches at the back drag and idle...
I have thier ram mount adapter, my itroll also controls my kicker hydraulic steering.
This unit is bullet proof...

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

blindmonkey

What hydraulic steering on the kicker are you using that utilizes the iTroll DevMah?
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

BruceL2_Fish

The iTroll will also control my PowrTran steering for my kicker.   Although I control that with my wireless control. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

DevMah

Quote from: blindmonkey on November 19, 2017, 10:11:04 PM
What hydraulic steering on the kicker are you using that utilizes the iTroll DevMah?

I made my own but itroll has outputs to fire two relays... that can be adapted to fit most kicker steering systems.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold