News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

why am I getting a shock in my boat

Started by Tunacious, October 30, 2017, 07:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunacious

While fishing in Port Orford for salmon I noticed that when I shut off my wash down pump if I had my other hand on top of my aluminum fish box the hand on the fish box would get a shock.

The fish box has a pump attached to it to pump the water out but there shouldn't be any electricity going to the box that I know of.

I don't know much about electricity but it would appear to me my body was being used as the ground for the wash down switch because I was wet and perhaps I was a better ground than the wire going to the battery.

The switch is grounded.

Anyone who can tell me what is going on I would appreciate it.

I am attaching a photo of my boat which shows the aluminum fish box in the middle of the boat that I am speaking about.

Hydroman

Is you fish tank bonded to your electrical system,  if not it my be static electricity. 

Hard to believe that you would get any shock from your 12 v system.

Was your inverter on when you felt the shock?

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Tunacious

The box has a pump hooked to it that when I turn on the pump it will pump water out of the box.  The pump is grounded to the battery.

You asked if my alternator was on???

Im not sure what your asking Jim.  The boat was on and trolling when this was happening.

I turned the switch on and off three different times with my hand on the box until I decided that was enough.

If I didn't have my hand on the box I didn't feel a shock when I turned the wash down pump on or off.

DevMah

Tunacious

Just need to clarify...
one hand on the pump switch for the wash down other on the aluminum frame of the fish box. You only feel the zap when you turn off the switch?

How old is you switch?

Few guesses ...
inductive spike... if your switch is worn, old possibly cracked...replace the switch.

Or Try installing a shunting diode aka fly back diode. Make sure the diode polarity is reversed when installing across the motor.

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/blog/inductor-need-fly-back-diode/

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Tunacious

Switch is only a year old.

The inductive spike sounds like is what happening to me.

This sucks.  Just when I got the courage up to rewire my boat I find out how much I don't understand.

Thanks DevMah

StreamFixer

Static Electrical shock was the first thing through my mind...  You need to quit dragging your feet across the carpet Walt...  :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Static....ground the tank. While you're at it, ground any metal gas tank fillers.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

First Cabin

Quote from: DevMah on October 30, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
Tunacious

Just need to clarify...
one hand on the pump switch for the wash down other on the aluminum frame of the fish box. You only feel the zap when you turn off the switch?

How old is you switch?

Few guesses ...
inductive spike... if your switch is worn, old possibly cracked...replace the switch.

Or Try installing a shunting diode aka fly back diode. Make sure the diode polarity is reversed when installing across the motor.

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/blog/inductor-need-fly-back-diode/

Dev

Thanks for the education!

Tunacious, what brand and model of switch are you using?

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Danno

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Tunacious

Threeweight

That looks like a basic metal automotive push-pull switch with a plastic boot over the wires.

I agree with Dan, go with a Blue Sea product of some kind.  In applications like this, plastic is a good thing.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

DevMah

Quote from: Tunacious on October 31, 2017, 02:38:13 PM
the switch Im using is a seadog 420396-1

https://www.amazon.com/420396-1-Splash-Garde-Off-Switch/dp/B001BW6BJK

This switch is only splash resistant at best rated ip64 (no rating on Sea Dogs web) a plastic switch would be better.

I recommend you to go to a ip67 rated switch, or min ip65 ...the switch Danno has recommend would also work fine.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/4303/WeatherDeck_12V_DC_Waterproof_Switch_Panel_-_2_Position

FYI ip ratings

http://www.rainfordsolutions.com/ip-enclosure-ratings-and-standards

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Rokefin

:yeahthat:

Great info, copied and put  in my boat file for later use.

Tunacious

Great Info

Ive decided Im going to go with all blue sea electronic switches when I rewire my boat.  I used Blue sea switches when I installed on shore power in my boat and It is awesome.

Im wondering if I am able to, or need to replace the main panel switch next to the helm with a blue star panel.

Threeweight

My old 17' (a 1989 hull) just had a bunch of toggle switches mounted in round holes on the dash when I got it.  I cut a big square hole and replaced all that mess with a Blue Sea "Weatherdeck" switch panel:

These are nice for a variety of reasons, a big one being that you get a fuse for each switched load, which simplifies wiring and makes it easier to troubleshoot on the water.  Also simplifies wiring your anchor/nav lights, and they are pretty water/corrosion resistant.

I believe the individual switches are modular, and can be removed and replaced if you need (so a simple "on/off" can be swapped out for a 3 way switch, or a momentary on switch.)
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson