News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Ocean floor rock fishing map or chip?

Started by rockknocker, November 13, 2017, 08:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockknocker

Im going to bodega bay California and was wondering if there is a chip i can put in my hds7 gen2 or a map of where the reefs or rocks are located. Would make my day of rock fishing a little easier. Thank you in advance.
2004 Arima 21 sea ranger teak pilothouse 150hp honda 9.9 honda tr1 garmin hds12 gen 2 4g
Plus 11 other arimas owned in my past

Threeweight

Navionics+.

Basic West Coast should cover the area you want to fish, and with the "+" account you can download the super detail imagery to add on to your chip.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AlexB

I really like the Navionics app or my iPhone. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

AlexB

Here's an example screen shot from the app. (Showing Bodega Head).

Diablo

You may find additional info on Fish N Maps. They are really nice water proof maps, good for back up to GPS. Besides the map you can also buy and download the coordinates for the hot spots on the map for a few bucks. I did that for Neah Bay saved a lot of time.

https://www.fishnmap.com

https://www.fishnmap.com/inc/getImage.php?id=163&width=600&height=600
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Salmon King

I used the Navionics Platinum edition (some called it Navionics+ fish'n Chip).

It had a setting that would enhance the bottom contours greatly (something like 1' increments).
I used it extensively but found it a PITA to have to enable it every time I turned the unit on.
It was worth the money for me...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

AlexB

Quote from: Salmon King on November 14, 2017, 12:20:12 PM

It had a setting that would enhance the bottom contours greatly (something like 1' increments).
I used it extensively but found it a PITA to have to enable it every time I turned the unit on.
That's interesting. I wonder if the Platinum chart is "enhanced" by adding extra contours through interpolation, or they are actually using true (measured) depth data?

Diablo

Quote from: AlexB on November 14, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: Salmon King on November 14, 2017, 12:20:12 PM

That's interesting. I wonder if the Platinum chart is "enhanced" by adding extra contours through interpolation, or they are actually using true (measured) depth data?

The added depth contours data are from users depth sounder recordings that they send to Navionics. If you buy the any chart with that has that detail you can send your sounder information.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Threeweight

Navionics+ and Navionics Platinum have the same charts.  With the Platinum you are buying a chip pre-loaded with maps for an entire region (like the US West Coast).  With Navioniocs+ you are buying a basic set of maps, then downloading the high detail charts for the area of your choice.

The + option is cheaper.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

rockknocker

2004 Arima 21 sea ranger teak pilothouse 150hp honda 9.9 honda tr1 garmin hds12 gen 2 4g
Plus 11 other arimas owned in my past

Zarn

You might also want to explore the noaa bathymetric & fishing maps.

Very detailed info on bottom topo and composition.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.