Author Topic: Baystar hydraulic steering - how difficult to install?  (Read 169 times)

Offline Qwakwak

Baystar hydraulic steering - how difficult to install?
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
I’m considering installing a Baystar hydraulic steering kit on my 17 Sea Ranger with a Merc 90 Command Thrust OB. Installation looks fairly easy - just wondering if anyone has done this and what potential problems I might run into. Thanks for any input.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc
If boats were never invented, I'd be a millionaire

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
Re: Baystar hydraulic steering - how difficult to install?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
There are 2difficulties that I think everyone that’s done this will agree with.

1.  Routing those stiff Baystar hoses.
2.  Bleeding the system.

When I did my install I placed the hoses into a heated tent to “soften” them so they would be a bit more flexible for the install. It helped a lot!
And when I bled the system I made sure I had an assistant...it really is a 2-person task.

Another word of advise...plan the hose route carefully to avoid any chance of chaffing or puncture by current or future Mods (I ran my hoses inside of a wire loom).   I also found I was very unhappy with using the original cable/steering hole in the splash well and wished I had thought of rerouting everything up higher and ran the steering hoses through separate holes to make a safer, neater looking install.
A moot point now that I no longer own the boat.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
When I did mine on my old Arima, the biggest challenge was drilling the hole for the helm steering pump.  I clamped some scrap 1/2" plywood to the backside of my dash, and use it to hold the pilot bit for the big (3" or 4") holesaw I used to cut the new hole for the pump.

Re: the nylon tubes, yep, some mild heat helps a lot.  I put mine on a heater vent in my house and let them get nice and warm.  You want warm, not hot, or they will melt.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bch

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
Did it this summer. It was hot out so I laid out the hoses in the sun for a day with some bricks to hold them straight on the driveway. They became almost perfectly straight and much easier to install.

For the helm, I screwed a scrap piece of plywood behind the dash through a couple of the mounting holes on the baystar template, then hole saw as usual. I remember the 3" hole saw being a hair too small and I needed to sand the opening a little wider.

The hardest part for me was the bleeding. Highly recommend 2 people. For some reason, I needed to turn the helm the opposite direction that was stated in the manual. Found this out the hard way because it was very difficult to turn, but everything seems good now that it's done. So if you feel any resistance on the initial bleeding step, try turning the wheel the other way.
Good luck!
'93 SR 17 | '00 Honda BF8A | '17 Honda BF90D

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
I had Baystar system put on my new boat at the factory. The factory uses the Seastar hoses. I think they are easier to work with. They also raised the boot higher up in the splash well as Salmon king mentioned. There is info online about bleeding the system
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Online Hydroman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Its a lot cleaner looking installation if you use the bulkhead hydraulic fittings or the flexible tubing to route the hydraulic lines thru the engine dry well.

Jim

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
Also make sure your throttle lever at WOT won’t hit your steering wheel if you have a large diameter wheel. The Baystar helm unit sticks out a little farther.

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »

YouTube is your friend.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
Here’s a pic of my install. The hoses are on the bottom with a sealed through fitting. The cable boot is raised higher

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Another pic

Offline Qwakwak

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think i’ll wait until the weather warms up.
Since 1958- 15' cracker box, '59 Performer, 18' Fiberform/90 merc, Sanger super jet/454 chev, 17' Seaswirl I/0, 20' Hydrosport/200 mariner, Grand Banks 36, 15' Proline, 19' Sea Ray,18' sloop, whaler/115 yamaha.
Now-1989 Arima Sea Ranger 17/90 merc
If boats were never invented, I'd be a millionaire