News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

27 gallon gas tank install on 16 SC

Started by Fisherdv, November 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I also purposely wanted the boat a bit bow down on the trailer so I could make sure it fit under my garage door. Now that I know it will with about 8in of clearance I may look into raising the bow up on the trailer. I'll start a new thread on that if needed
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

I was reading some other forums and came across a few more fixes / suggestions that have helped others with the same fueling problem as yours. I don't know if they will work for you or not, but figured I'd post the ideas. :shrug9:

*Flipping the fuel nozzle upside down.
*Putting the nozzle in at the 3 o'clock position when filling.
*Taking the vent hose off of the vent (P-Trap) and then hold the vent hose as straight as possible when filling up. (probably a 2 person job)
*Get a larger diameter vent hose.
*Start off with a slow fill and then increase the speed after the first couple of gallons.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

blindmonkey

If you give gas station a heads up you might be a few minutes fueling maybe you can detach trailer and use trailer jack to experiment with this theory. My boat sits level on trailer never had an issue fueling on trailer or at a marina.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Fisherdv

Quote from: blindmonkey on January 15, 2018, 05:11:43 PM
If you give gas station a heads up you might be a few minutes fueling maybe you can detach trailer and use trailer jack to experiment with this theory. My boat sits level on trailer never had an issue fueling on trailer or at a marina.
I tried that, twice. Thinking with the bow so low it still may not be enough  :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 15, 2018, 05:09:00 PM
I was reading some other forums and came across a few more fixes / suggestions that have helped others with the same fueling problem as yours. I don't know if they will work for you or not, but figured I'd post the ideas. :shrug9:

*Flipping the fuel nozzle upside down.
*Putting the nozzle in at the 3 o'clock position when filling.
*Taking the vent hose off of the vent (P-Trap) and then hold the vent hose as straight as possible when filling up. (probably a 2 person job)
*Get a larger diameter vent hose.
*Start off with a slow fill and then increase the speed after the first couple of gallons.

Thx AJ, I tried the nozzle all different ways, I also tried disconnecting the vent hose and gas just squirt out the vent hole. Tried starting slow and increasing no help. Next, out of desperation, I may try loosening the fuel gauge sending unit and I bet it will vent then. Shouldn't splash cause it's so far away from the filler. I even thought about filling from the sending unit hole and use the regular filler as a vent with cap open. I don't even use the sender. Maybe even turning the sender hole into a vent with a cap, and open the cap to vent while filling

AJFishin

That might work, it doesn't hurt to try.

58Johnson

2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  Just checked how my boats sits.  I've got an EZ Loader roller trailer.  Looks like the bottom of the hull (near the bow) sits about 3 to 4 inches below the top of the frame rail.  I tow with my 2015 Tacoma access cab truck, so (when hitched) might not be as high some larger vehicles .  I don't have a picture of my boat attached to the truck, but going by memory, it may sit slightly bow-down when hitched.  I'll try to check that when the weather gets better. 

Just wanted to say:  I used to always fill-up at stations, but in recent years, I found it easier to fill from cans I keep in the garage.  What I do is fill those "No Spill" cans (at my convenience) when I fuel my truck.  I fill the truck first.......(with Hi Test, of course), then fill the cans. I've found this to be a lot less "hectic" than pulling in to the local station with the boat in tow.  The station we frequent is a pretty busy place so there never seems to be enough room, or I always feel I'm in someone's way.  Remember; I like to fill the truck first, then the boat.  You can imagine how having to reposition your rig to do this can become a Royal PITA, right?  I had to put that to bed!  That said, I still never had problems fueling from a nozzle at a slow, yet reasonable, rate.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Fdv, if you aren't using the sender you could fabricate a larger vent tube in the sender cap -possibly run 2 vents? Talk to the manufacturer first but a larger vent may help your problem.

I also use gas cans most the time as the boat is stored at the coast, it is easy and surprisingly not messy.

Have you tried gas containers?

Fisherdv

Ya, turning the sender hole into a vent could be done somehow but that would be my last resort. Actually I'm already about at my last resort. With that sender hole being away from the filler neck to avoid splashing into the vent it would probably work well. I do have portable cans and I could do that I guess, but I usually just like to fill the truck and the boat at the pump at the same time and know I have fresh gas

Fisherdv

It probably wouldn't hurt to try that Racor LG100 fuel/air separater that AJ, and Blindmonkey mention but it measures 9 7/8 L X 4" diameter. I doubt it would fit in there on my vent line. They also have a LG50 that's smaller, but from what I've read the larger LG100 works much better. That may solve the vent overflow but not sure it would help for the filler spilling over :shrug9:

Fisherdv

This a good article about them and vented filler caps if anyone is interested.http://www.boatus.org/findings/40/

Rokefin

Fisherdv, have you tried anything else on your fueling issue?   Holy water? Exorcism?

What is the latest? Like yourself, I need resolve on this issue...

Fisherdv

I've been sturgeon fishing on anchor lately so I don't use very much fuel. I still have a little over 20 gallons left in the tank. Once I get down to about 10 gallons or so then I'll try it again. I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve I wanna try :doh: Thanks for asking

Salmon King

Fisher.....

Granted I haven't read all pages in this thread but from the last 3 I gather your issue is with filling the tank you have fuel almost immediately backing up and splashing out of the filler neck, and subsequently also coming out of the vent tube?

Solent me ask this...
Is your vent outlet the older (I'll call it original) style Black plastic in the splashwell?

If it is....a possible solution is that it is partially closed.  NOT PLUGGED BUT CLOSED.
The cap (vent) should turn freely left and right.
When I 1st installed the tank on FahrFrumWerken (I miss hat boat...) I had a similar problem.  Pressure from fueling would quickly shut down the nozzle even when empty. 
At first I figured it was just normal figured I'd have to live with it. But then by accident I started turning the black vent cap.  Suddenly my problem went away.
By coincidence so did my fuel bulb partially collapsing at FULL throttle!

My take is that evidently those original vent caps have an internal valve that can regulate the amount of venting.  Try turning that vent cap and see if that solves your issue.

If I'm out of line on this then just do like my wife does and gnome me... :wink:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Fisherdv

Thanks SK. I can blow freely through that black plastic vent and I even tried a completely open, Perko hood style vent. With the open Perko vent, the fuel comes back at me through the filler. I've since put the black plastic p-vent back on because it looks like it will protect against water getting in better. I'll try as you suggest again and see if that helps, but I'm sure I'm still going to get fuel out the filler :doh:

AJFishin

I was reading one of my boating magazine and came across this little device. $40
https://youtu.be/Oc80T0umpag
It might work for your gas tanks drinking problem.

Fisherdv

Thanks, I will definitely give that a look. I need to get gas tomorrow morning before I go out so I will be leaving 45 min earlier to account for that :doh: :doh: :doh:

Fisherdv

I've come to the conclusion that the problem is that the filler hole and the vent hole in the tank are too close together. When fuel is coming down the fill it finds it's way to the vent hole. Once the fuel gets even a little bit up the vent hose it blocks off all venting completely.

Fisherdv

I also think the crappy California gas has lots to do with the problem as well. The gas is so heavily airated that it's very "light" going down the fill creating a vacuum loop not staying down and pushing the light weight, airated fuel right up the vent blocking it off. Anyway that's my theory  :twocents:

Yachter Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Thanks Yat.

This product seems like it might work for your situation. It's an interesting design as it has multiple stair steps, I'm guessing, so it breaks up the backflow of gas which allows it to flow back in the tank.
I found this video of the creator letting a Sheriff use it to fill his boat. Not sure if the Sheriff's boat has same issue as you, but that little device work well at full throttle.
https://youtu.be/6MTlM6Zuu6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHscS5JX7zA

davidsea

I agree with the Racor/clear bowl/drain folks, won't go without one.  If you're able to get gas from high-volume stations (like Costco), it's unlikely you'll ever have a problem, but if you refuel somewhere at a fuel dock, it's a crapshoot.  I go way up into Canada once or twice a year, launching from Port McNeil or Port Hardy, and when you're "out there", bad fuel is a possibility you don't want to deal with. About 10 years ago, I started using a great filtered funnel.  They are sold under the 'Mr.Funnel' or 'Hopkins' brands, and I think West Marine had the same thing in their own brand.  It uses a proprietary filter and water trap, and removes nearly as much gunk and water as a cannister filter.  It makes sense to remove everything you can BEFORE it goes in the tank. The only downsides are that it takes longer to fill up, since the filter restricts flow, and the bottom of the funnel has a small trap for water and particles, which you need to dump out. It's only an ounce or so, and I carry a small poly jar with a screw top to dump it into.  These funnels have become popular with pilots - their bad fuel issues are generally more serious than ours. 
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

AJ;  I don't have a problem fueling my boat, but from what Fisher was posting, he seemed to be having an issue with this.   Here's hoping he can benefit from your finding.  Anything that can be used to help our fellow Arima owners is certainly appreciated. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on June 22, 2018, 01:50:00 PM
   AJ;  I don't have a problem fueling my boat, but from what Fisher was posting, he seemed to be having an issue with this.   Here's hoping he can benefit from your finding.  Anything that can be used to help our fellow Arima owners is certainly appreciated. 

Yat

Yes I was hoping this will help out SeƱor Fisher with his tanks drinking problem. 12 pages and growing, a 45 minute fill :doh: