News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

27 gallon gas tank install on 16 SC

Started by Fisherdv, November 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

In line with what AJ says, maybe one of those 30 gal. "Gas Caddies" (don't know if that's spelled correctly) would work as well. 

Yat

Edit:  Hey, wait a minute.  Maybe that's what AJ is showing?

Re-edit:  No.  That's a 14 gal. model.  Walmart has (what they call) a 30 gal. GAScaddy with rotary pump on line for $179.95 w/free shipping.  Course, you'd have to get it on and off your truck when refilling.  Maybe more trouble than it's worth. 

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Too many pages to re-read them all but what does the manufacturer have to say about this dilemma????????

Very odd that there are others with the same tank and they don't have the issues you are having - your tank seems un-fillable beyond a trickle.

IDK, maybe you are correct, vent too small :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Your correct, there are a few that don't have any problems, but if you do a search about it there are lots of people that have this problem as well going way back for many years. I quoted a post all the way from 2010. With so many known issues I would think the actual manufacturer of the tank would have redesigned this tank by now. I could maybe give Inca (the tank manufacturer) a call and see what they have to say. I believe another company has taken over Inca now. I guess it is what it is and I'll just have to deal with it or try to find a different tank that would fit. Believe me, I never intended on this thread being so long and thank you all for your help and patience.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

dbhazjack

Fisher, this problem is not right and should be corrected not lived with IMHO. 26 pages with fellow owners with no solution, it is definitely time to call the manufacturer or the vendor. I would want to speak with an engineer or perhaps get it replaced, but would not want to see you just live with it. Way too big an investment for that. I have the same tank on my 17' SC and have nothing close to these issues.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, Call Defiance and talk to Don. He's an amazingly willing resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

AJFishin

At this point I would be on the phone with the manufacturer and see what they have to say before it's to late to do anything.
That manufacturer makes a lot of different tanks in a lot of different sizes. I can not imagine the other smaller, larger or similar size tanks have this issue as bad as you do.
I thought for sure widening the vent hole diameter would have solved the issue, but it seems there's something else going on, maybe something hidden inside the tank that can't be seem. :shrug9:
California has all of the crazy EPA standards and maybe a lot has changed with the tanks design from my year tank, 1996, to today.
You have tried every possible solution with your tank from all of the advice given here and it seems that your tank is now producing another problem.
I would hate to see you go from a SNAFU to a FUBAR.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Threeweight

I'm curious what you guys think the engineering problem is? 

The tank is venting and filling.  It has the old style vent system, no pressure valve or charcoal canister.  It's set up just like the tanks Arima has been using since the early 1980's.  Because it creates no back pressure it has no way to trip the gas pump off or slow it down.  The only time I ever experienced anything like this with my old boat was when I got to nearly a full tank and didn't slow the pump.  Fuel foams and aerates, bubbly fuel gets into the vent/fill line, then it gets forced up and out as more fuel gets pumped in and the displaced air in the tank has to go somewhere.

I'd call Don, but I'm guessing he's going to tell you to take the back panel off when you fill and watch the tank level.  When it gets up near the top 1/3, either slow down the pump or give it a break every 10-15 seconds and let the foaming settle.  Another option might be one of the "whistles" to go on the vent line and tell you how much air volume you have left in the tank.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

When I filled the tank for the first time (tank completely empty) gas blew back almost immediately. It really doesn't matter how full my tank is, it's always the same result :shrug9:

croaker stroker

The only difference in my boat is my filler is outboard, on the sponson. My gas fill hose is longer, shaped like an "S", and not a direct shot into the tank.  Fisher's fill hose is very short and the gas shoots straight down to the bottom of the tank.

Did they change the fill location ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Mine was a straight shot as well, 1989 hull.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

blindmonkey

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

croaker stroker

I'll throw out another idea...

In this photo, your vent hose appears to have a horizontal run. (Particularly if the bow of the boat is up) Maybe the fuel is puddling there.  :shrug9:

Try re-routing or shortening the hose to give it a more vertical run.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 15, 2018, 11:54:24 AM
I'll throw out another idea...

In this photo, your vent hose appears to have a horizontal run. (Particularly if the bow of the boat is up) Maybe the fuel is puddling there.  :shrug9:

Try re-routing or shortening the hose to give it a more vertical run.

Most all of the photos I've seen are the same way, filler cap in same location. Maybe I could try filling straight into the tank neck, bypassing the hose all together :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Quote from: blindmonkey on January 15, 2018, 11:43:41 AM
Some folks have said this worked for this problem.  No personal experience with it
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C311%7C2349059%7C2349060&id=133911

That may solve the fuel out the vent line, but probably won't help with the fuel coming out the filler cap. That would be a $144 gamble

Fisherdv

Maybe the inside neck was cut so rough and not smooth that it's causing turbulence and making the gas aerate and foam?

blindmonkey

The price was $91 on that site. I have also read folks wrap a rag around the filler nozzle to make an airtight seal so all air is expelled through vent.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Fisherdv

Your right, I was looking at the list price :doh:

dbhazjack

Quote from: Threeweight on January 15, 2018, 11:24:32 AM
I'm curious what you guys think the engineering problem is?

One associated with this application (fuel hydraulics) has not been consulted?

Call the manufacturer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Rokefin

Quote from: blindmonkey on January 15, 2018, 12:27:00 PM
The price was $91 on that site. I have also read folks wrap a rag around the filler nozzle to make an airtight seal so all air is expelled through vent.

Air tight seal will solve the filler problem, I thought you were right on target, but the way this issue has gone I'm sure fuel will gush out of the vent....

Fisherdv

After really thinking about what 3WT said about the splashing and foaming fuel he may be absolutely right. The filler and vent are very close together at the tank. My boat sits nose down quite a bit on the trailer. So when the fuel is coming down the filler neck and the boat leaning forward, the fuel could be "walking", or splashing up the front wall of the tank just enough to block off the vent with fuel essentially blocking all venting. Once even a small amount of fuel gets in that vent hose venting stops and the air/back pressure created pushes behind the fuel in the vent and pushes it out the vent. There is also probably no or very little venting taking place through the filler neck because the flowing gas in is blocking off any air or venting. I've seen pics of Johns boat (16 SC), and his bow is a lot higher up on the trailer than mine and he has no filling problems. I'm I making any sense?

Yachter Yat

Are you making any sense?  I think so, but here's the question:  Why is it that my boat is like yours and my tank is as well, yet I don't have this problem? 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, is your nose as low as this? I've tried with trailer jack all the way up also? Maybe it's still not enough. When I wash down my deck hooked to truck all the water on the deck flows to the cuddy

J Chaser

Here's the angle on mine.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Fisherdv

My bow is "in" the trailer, looks like yours is above the trailer. Thx John. I remember seeing a pic of your boat in your driveway in a post and it looked much higher than mine

Rokefin

I could see a problem with splashing or foaming with a near full tank but not with an empty or half full tank.

Definitely a stumper for the ages....

Fisherdv

Quote from: Rokefin on January 15, 2018, 03:08:41 PM
I could see a problem with splashing or foaming with a near full tank but not with an empty or half full tank.

Definitely a stumper for the ages....
Maybe with boat leaning forward and empty or near empty tank the fuel is still walking up the front tank wall and making its way to the vent? I mean there's really no other explanation?