News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

27 gallon gas tank install on 16 SC

Started by Fisherdv, November 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Peddler

Sorry, I have no ideas about your fueling issue, but do want to say that I really like your Blazer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Fisherdv

Quote from: Peddler on December 10, 2017, 07:13:44 PM
Sorry, I have no ideas about your fueling issue, but do want to say that I really like your Blazer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx, Peddler. It's actually a GMC Jimmy, but the exact same thing as a Blazer

Fisherdv

I'm thinking of trying a more open style vent just to verify if my p-trap is to restrictive among trying to raise the nose of the trailer a bit while filling as 3WT suggests. Thinking of ordering this Perko hood style vent. Has anyone tried or have this style vent? I'm assuming it would vent more openly than the p-trap vent. Being metal, does it have to be bonded or grounded?

Fisherdv

I received that Perko, open hood style vent as pictured in the last post. I don't see anything on it to attach a ground wire to it. I've read that any metal components of the fuel tank must be grounded. What do you guys think? I guess I could wrap a wire around it then sandwich the nut on it.  :shrug9:

Threeweight

If it's brass, it may not need to be grounded (just like your brass fuel fittings).  The photo you posted looks like brass with a chromed hood on the outlet.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Ok, thanks 3WT. I gotta burn off about 15 gallons of gas before I fill again. I really hope this style vent breaths more than the p-trap.

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on December 19, 2017, 10:05:08 PM
Ok, thanks 3WT. I gotta burn off about 15 gallons of gas before I fill again. I really hope this style vent breaths more than the p-trap.

If you're curious and you're not heading out anytime soon, you could siphon some gas out of your boat and into your rig (or a couple 5 gallon tanks) if possible :shrug9:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Threeweight

Make sure it is installed with the elbow pointed up.   That style does no have internal baffles, the elbow is what gives you protection from water intrusion.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on December 20, 2017, 09:34:54 AM
Quote from: Fisherdv on December 19, 2017, 10:05:08 PM

If you're curious and you're not heading out anytime soon, you could siphon some gas out of your boat and into your rig (or a couple 5 gallon tanks) if possible :shrug9:
I could do that, I have spare tanks

Fisherdv

Quote from: Threeweight on December 20, 2017, 09:46:40 AM
Make sure it is installed with the elbow pointed up.   That style does no have internal baffles, the elbow is what gives you protection from water intrusion.
I may not have the room in there to mount in the fully up position but I should be able to angle it up a bit. I'm mostly curious to see if that solves my problems

Threeweight

Mount your hose to it with the fitting pointed down, but loosely in the hole.  Then rotate and tighten the locking nut with it in the "up" position.  Then re-attach vent hose to the fuel tank.

I used that same fitting on my old 17'... that's how I had to do it.

Downside is your current set up may not have enough hose.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

If that vent solves my problems I will gladly buy a new hose if needed. I could try it angled down just to see if it works then get the longer hose if needed so I can angle it up

croaker stroker

You can also angle it down if you form a loop in your hose going up.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Hope you try filling it up soon.....not sure we all could handle the suspense if we had to wait until after Christmas.

This sure has been a puzzling problem, I/we are hopeful the vent is the solution otherwise we will be scratching our heads for eternity :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Quote from: Rokefin on December 20, 2017, 11:17:08 AM
Hope you try filling it up soon.....not sure we all could handle the suspense if we had to wait until after Christmas.

This sure has been a puzzling problem, I/we are hopeful the vent is the solution otherwise we will be scratching our heads for eternity :shrug9:
Unfortunately it may not be till after the New Year before I get to try it. :doh: Really hoping this topic has a happy ending before we get to page 10 :doh: :doh: :doh:

Fisherdv

Sorry to bore you guys to death with this topic but I thought I would give an update. I tried fueling with the new style vent and also raised the trailer jack up as much as possible and guess what? Fuel still coming back out the filler cap :doh: I have just about exhausted all my options with exception of the filler neck on the tank. It is very thick and may not have been drilled out enough when manufactured as was my vent hole. If any of you guys have your filler hose off, or your 27 gal tank out for cleaning I would really like to know what your inside diameter of the filler neck is. As I mentioned before I think it's very likely that the fuel is getting stuck on the thick edge of the neck and restricting the flow going in.

AJFishin

I took a picture of mine way back on page 4, but here's a little more of a close up. Take a look at that picture and see if you can compare it with yours. I know that might be tough without measurements, but what the heck.
But if need be, I can try and wrestle my fuel hose off, I think I have some room left in the swear jar :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Thanks AJ, here's mine, it definitely looks thicker  :shrug9: What do you think? No need to measure.

Fisherdv

Yours looks clean cut, mine looks pretty rough cut

Fisherdv

Another closer view, looks pretty thick and rough like it wasn't cut out properly  :shrug9:

Threeweight

It isn't going to make any difference.  If that inlet tube were causing a restriction, the fuel would be gushing back up out the fill cap, not out of the vent.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Almost every time I've filled gas only comes out the filler. Only came out the vent as well as the filler one time. The last time I filled with the new Perko vent, and trailer jack raised the fuel only came out the filler. The very first time I filled the tank, gas overflowed almost immediately out the filler only upon fueling even with an empty tank? I'm trying to cover all the possible causes. What else could it be? I've tried all other possible causes. Something is going on, I just can't pin point it yet

Fisherdv

I came across this post from a while ago. He mentioned he has a thick cut filler neck and is having the same problems, see middle post

Yachter Yat

I would cut around the top edge of that filler neck.  I honestly don't believe cutting something like a 45 degree angle is going to do any harm as there's plenty of "meat" on that neck down below.  Obviously, the challenge is going to be making sure the shavings don't fall into the tank. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)